Jaco, Poas, Manuel Antonio

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaco, Poas, Manuel Antonio

Traveling to CR and wanted to see a volcano before we headed to the beach. Any ideas where we should stay near Poas and things to do/see in the area?

Also, looking for interesting local "dives" in the Jaco, Quepos, Manuel Antonio areas.

Thanks!
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 01:00 PM

Can't help with any good local dives, but having just returned from CR I have a thought to share. We stayed in Quepos at the Costa Verde and loved it. Driving back to San Jose, we stopped in Jaco and were so thankful we did not stay there! The main drag of Jaco was not nearly as interesting to us and i would not go or stop there on my next trip to Costa Rica.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 01:29 PM

Poas Volcano Lodge

Vista del Valle

Xandari Plantation

Peace Lodge

Las Orquideas

Above hotels range from very moderate to very luxe. All within 45 minutes of the volcano. Poas is very interesting with a lovely crater and nice hiking grounds.

Arenal further to the northwest will give you some firewords and lava flow.
Totally different experience.

I second the opinion that Jaco is not worth much. . .there is a lot of fishing out of Quepos. I'm sure that, once there, you can find out about diving as well. For sure there is diving up around Coco Beach on the northern Pacific.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 03:11 PM

Jaco is great - if you are looking for drugs and hookers.......
I would not include it in my travel plans.

Jerry
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 11:03 PM
hopabout

I would like to add a couple of nice hotels to the first list: La Rosa de America is a small sweet place just a few minutes from Las Orquideas. And, Martino Resort is quite lovely just down the same road another mile. All within 7 miles of the airport and a hop, skip and jump to Volcano Poas.

The road called La Garita (where I live) is loaded with Typical Restaurants. One special one, The Delicious de Maiz is very good and popular with tourist. Just down the street from it is ZOO AVE. It is a zoo of Costa Rican birds and monkeys as well as a few furry things from here and afar.

You are not far from the Butterfly Farm when in this area, too.

Waterfall Gardens should not be missed. There are tours that take you to Waterfall Gardens and to Poas....some even on to the Sarapiqui River all in one day.

One post mentioned the northern beaches for diving. I understand that the water is better further out and in the northern beaches of the Pacific, too. Flamingo Beach near Tamarindo has an outfit that is good.
I think a Manuel Antonio post would better share that with you.