Search

Ixtapa or PV? Help!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 05:09 PM
Lucy

Ixtapa or PV? Help!

My husband and I are planning to go to Mexico in November, and have narrowed it down to Ixtapa and Puerto Vallarta. I am looking for personal endorsements/opinions about either- Westin Brisas in Ixtapa, Marriot Casa Magna in PV. I am looking for relaxation, romance, culture, tropical hikes, great food, and of course swimming in ocean. Thank you for your help in advance!

Old Oct 7th, 1999, 12:52 PM
Carmen

Lucy, <BR>Definitely go to PV. Ixtapa is extremely commercial and doesn't offer much beyond the beach. PV has something for everyone and the Marriot there is exquisite. Feel free to email me directly if you have more questions. Have fun!

Old Oct 7th, 1999, 03:04 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>We love PV, and I think that it would fit your criteria. Very pretty little town, wonderful restaurants, great views, lots to do.

Old Oct 9th, 1999, 07:30 PM
tom

Lucy, <BR> <BR>Ixtapa was built by the Mexican gov't. in the 70's as a tourist destination (ie-not authentic!) skip it. but zhejuatenjeo 5 miles south is the real thing and beautiful!

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 08:40 PM
mary

Hi , I live in Puerto Vallarta and I don't know Ixtapa , except for what I have heard. I have been told that Ixtapa does not have a lot to offer as a resort, and Puerto Vallarta definitely has. In Puerto Vallarta there are great hikes, excellent downtown with very good restaurants, very good excursions and activities, as for example Swimming with the dolphins, Caletas day-cruise, Jeep-safaris, etc. <BR>The beach at the Marriott Casa Magna is not very good, if you are looking for a good beach, you might prefer to have a look at the Camino Real or the Jolla de Mismaloya. <BR>Don't hesitate to send me an e-mail if you have any questions about PVR.

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 07:12 PM
dino

I have stayed at both resorts in the past 3 years. The Westin Brisas has a better physical setting (lush tropical landscaping, secluded beach, beautiful balcony with hammock on each room). The surf may be rough and swimming is not recommended. Ixtapa is generally clean and new; a trip to Zihuatenejo is possible if you desire more traditional Mexico. In PV the Marriott is in more urban setting, walking distance to clean and new Marina Vallarta. Downtown PV is older and more traditional; a nice contrast. The beach at the Marriott is not as nice and more public than at the Westin Brisas. It is predominantly a pool scene. I enjoyed both resorts but for different reasons.

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 12:49 PM
edna

My husband and I have been to Puerta Vallerta and Ixtapa many times. We prefer going to Ixtapa because of the fabulous nearby village of Zihuatanejo. <BR>We stay at the Westin in Ixtapa, which is spectacular! In fact we're going back to the Westin for our 3rd time at the end of January! People are right in what they say about Ixtapa but Zihua is incredible. We don't stay in Zihua because the hotel we would like to stay in is a little to pricey. Definitely go to Ixtapa/Zihua! Edna