Search

Itinerary help with Arenal area

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary help with Arenal area

Hi all,

We have three nights at Los Lagos near Arenal in March. One day we are picked up at 1:30 for hanging bridges. The second day we are free. I would like to hike to La Fortuna waterfall, hike around volcano on our own and spend a half day or so at Tabacon springs. Which would you do the morning before hanging bridges and what combo do we do the second day?? Thank you for any help!! I think we'll dodge Tabacon in the late afternoon/evening because of crowds?? I was going to reserve a day pass instead and go on our own.

Fiveholmes
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:44 PM

Actually, I would do the Tabacon springs in the late afternoon or night because that's the only thing you listed that you CAN do at night. It will feel good to relax and soak after all that hiking anyway.

I'm not sure what you mean about hiking around the volcano, but since you're going on your own, why don't you do that the morning of your hanging bridges hike. You can hike to the waterfall, but riding horses might be more fun. Think about that for the free day.

Sandy
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 01:04 PM

We did the Fourtrax ATV tour in Arenal, and we stopped at the La Fortuna Waterfall. Just around the corner from there, off the road, hidden in the forest, our ATV guide took us to a magnificent waterfall that emptied into a crystal blue pool. There was a tarzan swing from the tree into the swimming hole. It was really beautiful, may want to check this out if you visit LaFortuna Waterfall.
I recommend hiking the old lava trails at Arenal, it was really fabulous. I agree with Sandy on going to Tabacon inthe later afternoon or evening, it is too hot in the daytime for the hotsprings. Also, just FYI, we went here this month and it was NOT busy at all, no crowds anywhere, we were pleasantly surprised.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

I realize with the heat that night will be better - I was just worried about the tour crowds in March...the ATV tour sounds cool. I have a 9yr. old. Would that work? What was the length of time/time of day you did that?
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 02:12 PM

Most companies will not let your 9-year old do the ATV tour. Be glad -- it's for his safety.

Sandy
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 02:20 PM

Are there still warnings not to go to the Tabacon Springs? If you go to the springs in the evening,then you won't see what it looks like. Isn't the grounds supposed to be beautiful?
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 02:54 PM

We are at Arenal right now. My husband went this morning and purchased our tickets for the day to Tabacon Hot Springs, as well as the dinner buffet. The cost is $45. I went for a 3 hour horse back trip up to the Volcano this morning. It was awesome. The Volcano sounded like dynamite going off when you got closer to it. We had a 4 year old with us as well as a women who was 4 months pregnant. Everyone really enjoyed the ride. We booked through Hotel Arenal Parisio.We were able to come and go all day to the Hot Springs. Really worth doing. There are many walk ways to each pool and lush vegetation every where. The Volcano can be seen from the Hot Springs( when not in the clouds)Lunch was great and we are looking forward to the dinner buffet. I would not worry about having to book everything from home because it is easy to do from here.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 03:08 PM

Agree with Sandy - ATV's NOT for a 9 year old. They are fun for adults! You can still visit the waterfall and the swimming hole by horseback I am sure.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the response!! Rusty59, how are you getting around? Do you have a car? We were not planning on having a car, but were going to use taxis. By hiking around volcano, I meant the lava fields, or whatever is recommended. If we purchase a day pass to Tabacon, does that mean we can return at night if we would like? Also, I had not planned a horseback ride because we are riding in Manuel Antonio later in the week and I didn't know if we wanted to go twice. Do you know if we can hike to the waterfall from the entrance to the park at La Fortuna waterfall? Also, does anyone know the best access point to hike the lava fields around the volcano? We are staying at Los Lagos.
Thanks again everyone!
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 04:54 PM

Melissa, you can see the springs clearly at night -- there are lights. The warnings are that it's not in the safe zone, but a lot of those hotels aren't in the safe zone either. They monitor the volcano well and hopefully would have enough warning before any big eruption. I suppose that is always a risk of hanging around an active volcano. You just hope it's not going to have a major eruption while you're there...

Sandy
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Sandy,

Do you think in March it's ok to go at night? The crowds aren't prohibitive?
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:15 AM

I strongly suggest the Cano Negro boat tour. They will pick you up at your hotel. We saw so many animals on this tour. It was spectacular.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 10:23 AM

I think you'll find crowds at Tabacon in March, but it's a big place and you can usually find a quiet pool somewhere. But if you want more peace and quiet, why don't you try the hot springs at Ecotermales instead? I haven't been there yet, but I've heard good things and I'm going there next time.

Sandy

Sandy
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 11:06 AM

Do you mean ATV is not appropriate for a 9 yr old even as a passenger if we ride double?
Anyone familiar with the Caves which are 45 minutes away?
The hanging brindges & Fortuna Falls sound good - but I don't want to hear the kids whine about to much hiking, which one would you suggest or still both? We are traveling with 9, 11, 14 yr olds?
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 09:21 AM

If you're staying in Los Lagos you might want to skip Tabacon since you have a fun hot springs for free. That's my bias of course. I would also think about going to Hanging Bridges in the morning since we felt we missed out on wildlife/bird life by going in the afternoon. I would definitely plan on going to skytram. I've tted my trip report (Nature's lovers) which has the websites of this.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Millie - and everyone. I will see about switching hanging bridges to the am - that will make it easier to add something to the day anyway. I have heard from so many that Tabacon is a "must see" and altho realized there were hot springs at Los Lagos, thought I had to do the other! Thanks so much.