Isla Mujeres parking?

Aug 18th, 2000, 12:20 PM
lisa

Isla Mujeres parking?

Two adults planning a 2-week trip to Mexico in late November -- Isla Mujeres 4 days, Merida 4 days, Lago Bacalar 4 days, and Puerto Aventuras 2 days. We were originally just planning on taking buses for large distances and taxis for short ones. However, I recently found a good rate on a rental car ($131/week for compact with air conditioning), so now we're thinking of doing that instead. My question is about parking. Particularly on Isla Mujeres, we know a car isn't really necessary there since the island is so small, but we were planning on exploring the island at least one day and without a car were going to have to rent bikes or scooters or a golf cart, so having a car wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing as long as there's someplace to park it for the 4 days we're there. We're staying at the Hotel Playa Media Luna. Anyone know if they have parking & whether our car will be safe on Isla Mujeres?

Aug 18th, 2000, 01:50 PM
Susan

We took taxis or walked around Isla Mujeres. I don't know about the car ferry over - it probably doesn't run all that often, whereas the regular ferry runs often. I really can't see the need for a car over on Isla.

It is nice to have one for Bacalar (probably necessary) and Puerto Aventuras. Are you going to Isla first? You could pick up your car after you've come back from there. You could even take the bus to Merida and only use the car on the coast. Driving is really easy along the coast.

Guess I haven't been much help - but a car really isn't necessary on Isla. Sounds like you have a great itinerary! We were down near Bacalar a few years ago - we visited some ruins where we encountered absolutely no one other than the 3 guys who worked there. It was like discovering them ourselves! There was also a huge cenote and a restaurant right beside it. We snorkeled in the cenote (couldn't see a thing - very deep) and then ate a wonderful seafood lunch. Have fun!

Aug 19th, 2000, 08:51 AM
Chino

Lisa,

You won't have any problems with a car at the Media Luna. I don't believe that they have a parking lot per se, but there is plenty of room around there and I'm sure that they will find a spot for you. And I'm equally sure that your car will be safe on Isla.

Buen Viaje

Aug 20th, 2000, 06:34 PM
dmotl

Hi Lisa.
My wife and I and daughter and husband will be at Playa Luna Media
for two weeks starting 11/17. Since this is the slow time of year on the Island we might be the only people along with you in the hotel. It was built new in 99 and not too many people know about it. We scoped it out in March and think our room prices of $55 are pretty good. We go for one month each year to the island.
We have a 16 page brouchre that we can e-mail you if you request. You should request if you have never been to the Island before. If you come there first our bet is that you will
never get to Merida. To get your car to the Island go to Punta Sam. There are only two passenger ferries a day
over. If you are flying in to Cancun just take the water taxi from Puerto Juarez to the Island. You don't need a car. If you bring a car over there is a large vacant area in front of Playa Luna Media which should be Ok to park in. If not look us up and we will give you other suggestions. If you dont see us in the hotel we will be in front of Za Zil Ha snack bar which is the first place on the beach left of the hotel. We are the folks with the air mattresses under our beach chairs.
see you there! dan and ginny

Aug 21st, 2000, 09:55 AM
Chino

Lisa,

There are actually 5 crossings/day between Punta Sam and Isla; From Punta Sam at 8:00am, 11:00am, 2:45pm, 5:30pm and 8:15pm. From Isla at 6:30am, 9:30am, 12:45pm, 4:15pm and 7:15pm.

The ferry is usually on time and many times full. So make sure to get there early.

Buen Viaje

Aug 21st, 2000, 10:03 AM
lisa

Thanks for your responses everybody!