Search

Isla Contoy and/or Coba

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isla Contoy and/or Coba

Has anyone been to either Isla Contoy and/or Coba? What are they like? We are planning to go to Cancun in early September and are thinking of possibly going to both places.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 02:30 AM

I have been to Coba, Tulum and Chichen Itza.

All three are VERY different from each other.

Unless you are a ruin nut, and have already seen the other two, I would suggest one of the others first, and then Coba.

This is mainly because it takes a while to get there, and it is back in the middle of the jungle (hot and buggy). I personally found both Tulum and Chichen Itza more visually-exciting.

BUT, Coba is like a step back in time and not as touristy, and for an aficionado like my husband, he loved it!

Have not yet been to Contoy but would like to go. Have been to Isla Holbox, and that was great fun. (Day trip from Isla Mujeres.)
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:57 AM

I'm confused. Isn't Isla Contoy the day trip from Isla Mujeres? Holbox is quite a distance away, requiring a bus ride then a boat ride. Not a day trip type destination.

Jean
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Diana and Jean. Yes, Isla Contoy is a day trip from Isla Mujeres. What is Isla Holbox like?
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 04:06 AM

I haven't been to Isla Holbox, yet. Very undeveloped, only a couple small places to stay and a couple restaurants. I want to go because there are flamingos that live there. It's a hassle to get to, and certainly not everyone's idea of a fun trip. Jean
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 04:39 AM

Ooooh, sorry. I've spent so much time in the area, and researched so many trips, that half the time, I get them all mixed up.

Isla Contoy is a bird sanctuary and if I had a bezillion or so dollars, I would snap it up as a private estate. (But it's a national park, so it's supposedly not for sale...)

Anyway, it is just gorgeous, and there are limited boat companies that are permitted to make the trip over. If you do go MAKE SURE you choose a trip over on one of the bigger, faster boats unless you are into seven or eight hours in a small boat in sometimes very rough water. (What an experience.) If you want more details on the trip, I can top my May report for you. (Or you can see it by clicking on my name and scrolling.)