Is this a good itinerary?

Nov 6th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Amanda

Is this a good itinerary?

We are spending our honeymoon in CR in March. Is this a good itinerary? Any other reccomendations? Thanks in advance.

2 nights San Jose-Grande Del Oro
2 nights Arenal-Hotel Tabacon
2 nights Monte Verde
5 nights Playa Herradura de Jaco-Villa Caletas
1 night-San Jose

We are planning on doings the hot springs, volcano tour, wild life reserve tour, canopy tour and some rest and relaxation.

Nov 6th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Too Busy

Way too much for a honeymoon! We just needed a jacuzzi room and a all-inclusive deal. We did a lot of activities, but all on our own time! I recommend cutting that in half and getting comfortable somewhere.

Nov 6th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Iza

Amanda, if you want an active honeymoon, this itinerary is good. 5 nights in Villa Caletas will give you time to relax.

Have you considered staying outside of San Jose instead of in the city? I have heard very good things about Grano del Oro but San Jose itself is really not worth 2 nights. I would opt for one of the beautiful hotels in Alajuela or thereabouts (Xandari or Vista del Valle would be perfect for a honeymoon).

Nov 6th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Jean

I like your itinerary. People generally don't have nice things to say about San Jose, but I have to admit to being curious. So, we are also spending two nights at Grano de Oro when we arrive in Costa Rica in February. We don't get in until late the first day, so we'll have one day to look around San Jose. I think it will be interesting. At least I will figure out why everyone says to stay away. Last year when we were there we spent the first night at the Hampton Inn by the airport, which was certainly adequate, but pretty darn boring. We then drove the Tabacon the next morning, stayed two nights there and also two nights in Monteverde. Loved them both. We then spent three nights at Si Como No in Manual Antonio. Then back to the Hampton Inn. How are you planning on getting around the country? The distances aren't great, but the driving times are much longer than you might guess. Even if the roads are in good shape (and many aren't), there are still lots of curves and the occasional herd of cattle on the road. (even the Pam-Am Highway)

The last leg of the trip from Tabacon to Monteverde is legendary. I have never seen such a road. We had a small four wheel drive and were glad to have it, just for clearance. Huge rocks in the middle of the road, right next to enormous potholes. The last 20 kilometers took 2 1/2 hours. Never got out of 2nd gear. But, if you aren't in a hurry, it was sort of fun. Nice scenery. We actually came upon a group of people trying to ride bikes on this road. Most of them didn't look very happy.

Have a great honeymoon.

Nov 6th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Wendy

Ditto to everything Iza said. We stayed at Xandari for the 1'st night of our honeymoon and didn't go to San Jose. I've heard there are some nice parts, but not really worth it considering all the other places to see in the country. Villa Caletas looks beautiful. I know someone who stayed for their honeymoon and loved it. If you decide to go to Manuel Antonio, I would recommend staying at Makanda By The Sea. You can hang at the hotel and just relax (incredible place) or you can take advantage of the beautiful beaches and rainforest in the national park. We also went to some great restaurants.

Nov 7th, 2002, 12:48 PM
jane

San Jose is a typical big city - with good and bad elements. While it's crowded, noisy and polluted, there are also wonderful restaurants, neighborhoods and cultural sites. A great restaurant is Cafe Mundo, it's in an old mansion and the food is great. The central market is also worth a visit. It is jam packed with stalls of herbs, crafts, coffee, meat, etc. We had lunch at one of the cafeterias there. You will really feel like you're a part of the local scene. If you keep a close eye on your purse/wallet and walk with confidence, you'll be fine. There is also a beautiful restaurant outside the city in the hills (forgot the name, but it's pretty famous) It has great food and fabulous views.