Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Is it that you all studied Spanish or what?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wondering why so few people on this forum have chosen to go to Brazil. Are the bargains elsewhere? Or is it perhaps the language?
Jess
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:02 AM

Costa Rica is only a 3-hour flight for us. It's cheaper, and we love it. And I did study Spanish, but that's not why we keep going back to CR, we just enjoy it. Argentina intrigues me, but we haven't made it there yet.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:46 AM
RAC

The main reason I'd go to Brazil is the Amazon, but there are much easier and more convenient ways to experience the rain forest (Costa Rica being one).

Rio de Janeiro has a reputation of being unsafe. And, combine that with language issues and yes that will keep people out.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Actually, Brazil seems to me the most interesting country in South America, I just haven't made it south of Belize yet! When I do -- Rio and Bahia?

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:52 PM

Jess: I was wondering the same thing about Paraguay
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:33 PM

I have been to Brazil, but for me it is the language thing. I speak Spanish but not Portuguese.

I have been to Paraguay (I think) seven times. It's a quirky little country and I find it fascinating.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 12:28 PM

We spent 5 months in South America last year as part of a RTW trip and of that 1 day was spent in Brazil at Iguazu. That one day had us wanting to return and regreting that we did not factor in more time there. The reason, as you suggest was the language. We spent a month trying to get to grips with our Spanish and another language would have been just a step too far.
as for the safety aspect mentioned by a previous poster, we heard about te safety issues all over SA but experienced no problems whatsoever, maybe the safety concerns are over emphasised or maybe we were just lucky?
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 05:36 PM

Boy, we absolutely love Brazil. In our selfish minds the only thing it doesn't have -- is that they don't speak Spanish. Yet, Spanish can get you pretty far there, along with a few words of Portuguese. It is surprising Brazil doesn't get more discussion on this board.

Having traveled to many beaches in many different parts of the world, the Brazilian beach scene is the best. Completely laid back, relaxing, enjoyable. Gorgeous beaches. Great pousadas. The people could not be nicer. Food is good, lots and lots to see and do, its a huge country with a sophisticated manufacturing base. For those contemplating a trip, go for it. And, as an addition to some time in Argentina, its a great contrast.

Now, had I only taken some Portuguese in school . . . .
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 06:23 PM

I don't speak either Spanish or Portuguese but can muddle along in Spanish much more easily. I have been to Brazil but with someone who speaks Portuguese. Travelling independently in Brazil would be more difficult for me than elsewhere in South America.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 07:05 PM

I always thought Brazil might be a "quirky" big country with the Portuguese. Now that I find Paraguay is "quirky little country", I'm going there instead
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 09:04 PM

Nonstop, I wouldn't hit Paraguay until I'd taken in Peru, Argentina, Brazil, Chile ... You know, some of the bigger places. I really do like Paraguay but some of my several trips there have been work-related. It isn't that I've kept going back again and again as a tourist.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 04:36 AM

Like the beaches vibrant culture

A LOT

language not that different

prefer PERU more mountains

spectacular cultural stuff

varied scenery...can still get

the Amazon experience easily...
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 04:38 AM

also air into LIM a lot cheaper...

just picked up $88 fees each way

FLL LIM return $239 total

www.spiritair.com 5 hours

Lots more to get to GIG from US...
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 04:23 PM

I am planning my second trip to Brazil in 3 years--to the Pantanal. I went once to CR and hope to return some day but Minas Gerais and Mato Grosso in Brazil are very captivating for nature/wildlife.

Jess215, are you considering a visit to one or the other?
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Hey Lynn
I know you from the Africa forum. Brazil at the moment is a twinkle in the eye, but I do plan to start in Rio - possibly next January. I've always resisted Portuguese but have gotten SO into Brazilian music of all kinds by listening to Pandora.com that I've actually begun to learn a little of the language and do a certain amount of research. Time and money (surprise surprise)are putting me on the slow track....
Jess
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 03:56 AM

I hate to "rain on your parade" but I visited Brasil in Nov. 08 for three weeks with a Brasilian and we both had a less than happy experience. It brought back the memories (she's been out of country for 4 years) of extreme noise, extreme crowded conditions, fairly expensive compared to the USA. Expensive food, hotels etc without the quality or convenience. We co-ordinated all of our own trip (Rio, SP, Gaudajar) so didn't travel with a group of which might be advisable. We found the driving conditions unbelievably congested with very little laws that were abided. Motorcycles ruled. Just as an example of the safety, we traveled some by subway and found at least four well armed police at every station and intersection. I had been there once before with a group and found it more of a postive experience. My fiance' would only return because of family.
Sorry for the negative response but would rather go to Costa Rica. bsvirginian
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 12:03 PM

I've been to Brazil a few times (travel alot on business), I can't compare going to Brazil to Costa Rica or somewhere else in Central America. It's a very long flight to Brazil...... Once you get there, if you go to Rio or Sao Paulo - they're very large, busy, crowded cities (pretty around there, though). Auto loans just became easy for Brazilians to get - so the traffic is nuts.... I don't speak either language - so I think it just depends on what you want to do. My favorite South American country is Peru - and in Bolivia, the people are so nice (actually, everyone seems nice everywhere in Latin America). So, with the expense of getting to Brazil, and so many options closer in - it's probably mostly the fact that there are alot of neat places to go! I would like to do an Amazon cruise, though.......
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Jambo Jess,

Keep playing that Brazilian music; doing those Batuque, Capoeira, Samba Endredo, Fevo, Carimbo, Congada, Cordoes, Choro, Maracatu, Modinha, Pastoris Brazilian dances; and you may find your eyeballs twinkling at a capybara.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Asante sana Lynn. I was one of those who went to Kenya a few weeks after the election. I ditched the others one afternoon and wandered around Nairobi. Same in Mexico City last October. I grew up in NYC. I got trapped in Harvard Square in one of the anti-war riots. Rio doesn't scare me. (Which I suppose means I will get my stuff stolen, or worse --- but anyway....)
Jess
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 11:00 AM

Yes the language, the reputation for unsafe cities, and I grew up on beaches so I don't care to travel to see them. Peru won my heart and I hope for many more trips there in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -