Search

Is drinking water safe?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 11:17 AM
george

Is drinking water safe?

There is so much to do about not drinking the water in Mexico, then once you get to the hotel, they say it is safe? Who knows the truth about this. Is is a wive's tale or do they just want you to buy bottled water?

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 01:19 PM
Wallace

Hi George, <BR>We have been to Cancun, Cozumel, Puerta Vallerta, Ixtapa, and Cabo San Lucas. We stay at 3 or 4 apple rated hotels (via Apple Tours) and have never had a problem with the hotel tap water. We also trusted the tap water at the restaurants and never had a problem. Maybe we are just lucky. <BR>

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 10:53 PM
Pancho

Most of the better hotels have their own water pruification systems so the tap water is OK to drink. Most restaurants serve purified bottled water. If in doubt than do NOT drink from the tap. You may get lucky or you may become very sick. The water in Purto Vallarta is considered to be safe to drink.

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 02:50 PM
TC

George; Mexico is a big place. I think the answer to your question lies in the location. While most large resorts or tourist areas have water purification systems and provide bottled water for visitor's comfort, most small villages would not have water that is safe to drink. Even "safe" water can have micororganisms in it that will put a gringo's system out of commission for a few hours. This doesn't necessarily make it dangerous, it just makes it different than what your system is used to handling. Its just like too much rich food, unusual spices or liquor intake can make your stomach very queazy but not kill you. <BR> <BR>We spend about a month in Cozumel each winter. Our precausions are to use bottled water in the condo for drinks, cooking and dental hygene. When dining out we trust the ice in drinks, which is made with bottled or purified water. We've never been sick. One thing to remember - the water on your return flight was loaded in Mexico. It won't be any safer to drink. This is a common mistake that has rendered many tourists quite ill after returning home.

Old Sep 11th, 1999, 01:35 AM
Carlos

George, I am from Mexico City, and I've travelled quite a bit in my country. <BR>One of the "rules of thumb",when vacationing in Mexico, is never to drink tap water and it really isn't a myth. Belive me, I wouldn't do it. <BR>

Old Sep 11th, 1999, 04:17 PM
Sue C

We have been down 5 times, and have never had a problem. I use the tap water for bathing and brushing my teeth. I would drink the tap water, except it tastes terrible from all the chemicals to purify it. I eat and drink whatever I want in the hotel zone and from downtown only in the main restaurants. Bottled water is cheap and plentiful. The key is not to over do anything, sun, food, drink or lack of sleep. I think that is what contributes to alot of folks getting sick. They just wear their bodys down.