Search

Is CR safe?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is CR safe?

Is Costa Rica a safe place to visit? How are the people?
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 06:50 PM

Our family just returned from a week in CR and we felt very safe everywhere (although we never went to San Jose). We were in Arenal and Manuel Antonio. The people were so friendly and helpful and we had a great time!
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:45 PM

About safety, I have a question, hoping not to arouse the ire of the many CR fans on this board (of which I am "virtually" one, since i hope to go there).
If it's safe, why are the nice homes there surrounded by barbed wire fences and walls topped with shards of broken glass? Why are there bars over the windows? Why do some hotels have staff (not just security officers) armed with guns?
As for the people, there was a thread awhile back in which some visitors said they didn't get it about the "pura vida"--that CR was like many other places in the world--some people are wonderful, some not. My kids went and found the level of friendliness, kindness, and service in tourist-oriented people and businesses exceptional, but found people they met in towns, etc, were not any more or less friendly and helpful than in other places they've lived and visited.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:57 PM

Calinurse, those are the same "whys" all of us ask about. Not sure the reason, but while violent crime is much less common in Costa Rica than here in the U.S., theft is more prevalent there.

I'm guessing it is partly because of the inadequate, underpaid, understaffed police force and the entire judicial system. It seems fairly simple to steal at will without getting much more than a slap on the hand (if that). Corruption is prevalent; low paid policia are easy to bribe. Naturally, people have to protect their belongings; hence the bars on doors and property fronts.

A couple of years ago, I heard a Tico joke: We don't kill anyone here--we just steal from them. Strangely true! So, if those of us who travel there keep a close watch on our "stuff" and keep a low "bling bling" profile, we can count of Costa Rica being a pretty safe place!

Unfortunately, it seems that slowly, but surely, violent crime is becoming more of an issue even in Costa Rica. What a shame. Most Ticos blame it on the influx of people from other countries--Columbia and Nicaragua are mentioned fairly often.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 08:13 PM

Thank you for that clear, non-judgmental explanation, Shillmac--perhaps the teacher in you? As I've written before, my kids loved CR; every day was an adventure! (They are not particularly anxious to return before they've checked out other places in the world they've heard so much about.)
Personally, having grown up in NYC, traveled to some unusual places and been in some scarey situations, I'm not worried about travel to CR. But I was/am curious about the crime that exists, and do think on this board, there is a tendency to downplay the negatives, so that some of the folks who go are a bit surprised to not find a crime free paradise. Better to know what to expect, is my feeling. Also, under the general cateogory of "safety" I would put the condition of roads and local drivers.
I can hardly wait for my first trip there, 'specially now that Neta has so generously given of her time!
And congratuations again on the birth of your little granddaughter and future traveleler!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:20 AM

Thank you, Calinurse. And of course you are right--so much has to do with one's expectations. The theft issue is a cultural thing also. I don't pretend to understand it, but I do believe there are some otherwise very nice people who might steal given the chance. Many are poor. And then there are others, not so nice, who make a profession out of it!

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:18 AM

I can only speak for myself , and have not to this point mentioned negatives . Not because I wish to " downplay " crime , simply because I have not expeirenced any in Costa Rica . Obviously crime does exist there , before visiting any country I look at the travel safety web-sites , not just one site , but a few to get an idea . As far as other negatives , what is a negative to one person , might be an absolute non-issue to another . You are doing the right thing by sifting through lots of posts , you will have a better idea of what to expect . I never associated so much emphasis with pura vida = people , it was the whole package to me , people , landscape , wildlife , vistas ..... I am sending my neice for the first time and have been trying to prepare her ( she has only done all-inclusive in Cancun , and Florida ! )I simply try to tell her that this is a real place , that not everything will be picture perfect for the tourists eye , that it takes a little work to get from A to B , but she is going to see so much in between ! It is definitely NOT for everyone , when I first went with my girlfriends years ago , they simply hated it , and did not get it at all , I LOVED it , and I could not understand them !! I mean why wouldnt you like to step in toad poop first thing in the A.M. ???? Dont you know they sometimes climb in the rafters of the ceiling !!?? I they were posting here , they would off LOTS of negatives . I do not , because those
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:23 AM

SORRY !!!! Clicked the post by accident ! Simply meant to finish that they would have lots of negatives to state here , it was not their style . I do not state a lot of negatives , because I did not see their issues as negatives , in other words , it totally depends on the person and what your expectations are .... You are doing the right thing by re-searching here , you will be well prepared ! Faith
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:51 AM

My reaction to negatives is similiar to faithie's. One person's negative is anothers travel tale to tell years afterwards.

Was dinner one night a little bland? Were the beds not as comfy as home. Did you get inaccurate directions? Was there bugs in your room? Was transport not as easy as it is at home? et al To some, that may colour the whole trip in a bad way; to me, personally, it just adds to the whole experience. Afterall, the point of travel imho is to experience other cultures, other ways of life, otherwise we may as well just stay home with the familiar.

I've kind of lost my point, but I guess a lot of it comes down to your expectations. Travel is not a well-oiled machine, it has hiccups & glitches, you either enjoy them or not. I've traveled a lot of the world by myself as a single female, mostly Europe but CR, the US, Bahamas & even Haiti and I've loved (and learned from) every minute of it. As far as Pura Vida, I don't mean to sound dismissive, but you get it or you don't. I'll syop rambling now.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:26 AM

Exactly Tully , I do not mention , the roads can be bad( I am from P.E.I., the roads are worse ! ) , there were some bugs(I live in Quebec , we have MORE mosquitos ) , some bridges looked wicked wobbly ( yup , that bridge outside Quepos is WILD !!), that guy in that restaurant was reserved and my toast was cold .... I guess because I EXPECT these things , its a developing country , it is central america , I thought that was the point ..... On the other hand , if I went and the toad poop was in between my sheets , and god forbid we were robbed etc. , etc. , I would be certain to let my fellow Fodorites know .
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:36 AM

Calinurse , Do not worry , no ire is up !!!! LOL , we need all kinds of posters here ! And are u from P.E.I ??? LOL , thats a very maritime phrase , Faith .
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

TOAD POOP? I ofcourse want to be safe where I am staying. We wan't a relaxing honeymoon so I don't think we are going to be doing too much on our own. Now the Toad Poop concerns me more. I have gone on vacations where bugs and wildlife have shown up in my room. (In cancun a little crab was hiding next to the bed!)Those times have made interesting stories now, but the experiences I have found less than pleasant. Is finding bugs, toads or any other wild life in your room common? or is there a good place to go to avoid this?
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:38 AM

Point in case ! NOW your freaked out ! lol , Please dont be . The toad poo was in a private villa we stayed in years ago in Manuel Antonio , entirely open air concept , no screens , no walls in some areas , just pillars , and it was in the jungle ! In the A.M. we would get up and these little plops would be on the bathroom floor , eeeek ! Well turns out after some investigation that it was little toads ( or frogs ? ). Happened at Makanda as well , in the large very OPEN Villa no.1 , we found it hilarious , we were on our honeymoon the second trip as well . I do NOT think this is common , I have NEVER heard it mentioned other than from me !!! So obviously not a regular occurence , seriously , do not be concerned over this . Other than those 2 places no poo was discovered . We did have an ever soooooo tiny Gecko on our ceiling at Costa Verde , it was able to go through the crack of the door , smaller than a grasshopper . Sometimes in a jungle setting these things cant be helped ..... All of these places were very beautiful , and spotlessly clean . As far as safety , do a search on the travel safety sites , Costa Rica actually has less crime than Mexico . It was a little too back to nature for my friends , but perfect for us ......
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:57 AM

United Nations Office for Drug Control and Crime Prevention:

Murder rates per 100,000 inhabitants.
USA-6.8
CR--6.1

Robbery rates.
USA-186
CR--470
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:09 AM

CaliNurse, not sure what part of CA you are from, but living in LA (the land of crime and rude people) I can't imagine CR would be worse. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things I love about LA, but the people are not its strong point when it comes to niceness or friendliness. I think it really depends on the person you are and what you like in a trip. If someone is a snobby tourist, CR may not be the place to go. Meeting and talking to the locals is one of the best parts about traveling to other countries for me.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:58 AM

I do not avoid the issue when helping on the message boards nor do I dwell on it. I have been on these travel boards for many years and have repeated the same warnings over and over. In 12 years of travel down there I have not had a minutes problem. I prefer to help people to feel comfortable and safe about traveling there by saying, yes there are problems but here is what you do or don't do. Most of the time it is just common sense things to avoid.

There are plenty of places in the states that I feel less safe than I do in CR. Many people who ask are already skittish just because of the general location of Costa Rica. The State Department does tend to paint all of Central America with the same brush both with health warnings and safety.

Most of the news about many Central American countries is bad. Let's face it, happy news doesn't sell advertising or newspapers-at least not in this country. Unless you happen upon an Animal Planet show about the wonderful wildlife down there you aren't going to hear much about CR. You will hear about horrible drug related murders in Columbia though. You will hear about the poverty in Nicaragua.

I too was concerned about the barbed wire and embedded glass around homes. My husband has traveled and lived in several South American countries and he told me it is pretty much a latin american thing. He has seen that all over. Peoples homes do get robbed.

As far as Pura Vida...if you have to ask, you don't have it. Pura Vida is a feeling that many of us get before we even hit the ground. I know, the minute I get my first look of the country, that I am home and at peace. Pura Vida is taking long walks even in the rain because it has made everything so green and made the flowers bloom. Pura Vida is seeing a beautiful Blue Morpho butterfly flit by. Pura Vida is laughing at the monkeys and dodging what they try to throw at you at times. I am also realistic enough to know that Costa Rica isn't perfect by any means. I have spent a lot of time learning about those imperfections and they don't bother me. It is still a developing country with more than a little third world mentality but it is also one of the friendliest places I have ever been.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 08:55 AM

Wow..........

Jessie's last paragraph above expresses just how I feel about Costa Rica.

Jerry
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:46 AM

ditto for me...wonderfully written Jessie.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:27 PM

Jessie, I couldn't have said it better.

If you can't relax and roll with the flow, don't go. If you have great expectations of grandeur, don't go. If you want to experience something different from the usual beach rental or mountain rental in your country, go!!! My husband and I love Costa Rica. We also love the unusual places in our own country. We have had terrible hotel and food experiences in traveling in our country. Like I said before. Roll with the flow. We have never had a problem in Costa Rica.

We are older and go through a travel agent. Just for hotel booking and transportation only. We always book our tours when we get there. Get taxis to take us everywhere, and find the best, local sodas and restaurants. Just ask. You will get the best, reliable information from the ticos.

We have never felt unsafe. Have walked all the streets in Arenal and Manuel Antonio and Quepos day and night. Of course we could have or can encounter trouble when we go again in May. I can also encounter trouble in the parking lot at the Walmart.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:43 PM

Faithie and Tully, you were my inspirations to say what I did. I too have traveled in many countries with and without my husband. Sometimes with nothing more than a backpack and a train pass. Life is a learning experience whether good or bad. I think my (slightly) advancing age has made me want to learn even more. Whether young or old(er-ahem), if you stop learning you stop living. Learning can come from many sources. For now, I am still learning first hand and loving every minute of it. I started my learning from books and someday I will go back to them. If I do get robbed some day, so be it. I will certainly learn from it and share my experience. Hopefully it won't be any worse.

Rufus, those were some scary statistics. I'll definitely add an inch or two to my antenna.

Faithie, you call those things mosquitos!!!!! They are more like 747's.

Patga, so true about WalMart. We use at least a little help on all of our trips. Heck it is a vacation. I have had one too many frustrating moments over the years when making my own arrangements. I still do to some extent but when the frustrations start, I hand it off to someone else.

Hyladae; We still hear from people from many parts of the world that we have met over the years. They are the most memorable parts of some of our trips.

CaliNurse, I grew up in CT and spent a lot of time in the city. Probably where I got a lot of my street smarts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -