Search

is cancun safe?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is cancun safe?

Hello!
My husband and I are planning a week in Cancun next Feb. 2008, we are staying at an AI, LeBlanc Spa. We do not plan on venturing out that much, but if we do, is it fairly safe? What is close to our resort? Thank you all for your input! Jane
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 08:28 AM

Well unless you plan to get involved with the drug trade you should be quite safe. Remember to use common sense just as you would in any city.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! No drug trades are planned thankfully! We have never been to Cancun, thanks for your response!
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 09:13 AM
P_M

You'll be fine, I've been several times and I never felt unsafe in Cancun. And please do not be afraid to venture out.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:42 PM
KVR

We went to Cancun for the 2nd time this past April. Cancun is safe, but as said use common sense. The bus system is easy, cheap and convenient. Walking is good also. Cancun has several different malls with some high end retailers as well as touristy shops. We enjoyed La Isla Mall, Margaritaville and the Plaza. We did the bar hopping tour which ended about 2am and we just walked back to our hotel. No problem.

Please do not hibernate at your hotel. Get out, do some sightseeing and check out some local bars/restaurants. If you don't, your going to miss alot.

If your interested we have pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com.user/kvrlvn
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 07:01 PM

We started going to Cancun in the late 80s. While it has changed and grown, we still feel very safe there.

We now travel there with our three children.

We have started venturing further and further south from Cancun and traveled all over the Yucatan peninsula by car.

However, I do believe that you should exercise that amount of caution that is required to keep you comfortable. If you are not comfortable driving somewhere, splurge on a driver or guide.

But, as others said, do get off the resort. Mexico is a beautiful place with amazing culture and history.

You can go to a beach hotel everywhere and anywhere.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 08:01 PM

In addition to the drug trade if you do not 1. get Stupid Drunk & wander the streets or jump in the ocean/pool in that condition, 2.Insult local people, 3.flash money or 4.go into places you do not belong you will be fine as you would in 95% of the places on this Earth
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 08:09 AM

As previously posted, Cancun is safe and as a matter of my personal opionion,alot like Las Vegas. I highly recommend getting out of your resort and walking around. There is alot to see and do, and you will be able to see what is and what isn't safe. It's a great town.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 08:17 AM

We stayed at ME Cancun (www.mecancun.com) which is in the hotel zone. The hotel zoneis extremely safe and so it most of the city. They have to keep it that way if they want the tourists to come back and spend more money!