Reload this Page >

Internet Access and Laptops?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 01:39 AM
George

How accessible are Internet Cafes in Rio and are there terminals with an English keyboard. I know when we were in Cannes, there was an internet cafe that had specific workstations for English and for French.<BR><BR>Also, has anyone taken their laptop to Rio and is it a problem entering the country as well as leaving it in the hotel? I am worried about theft or standing out as a tourist. I know everyone advises to leave the jewelry at home..what about their laptops?

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Don

I am in Rio now in an internet cafe, they are very common and everything is the same as in the US. I know people who bring their laptops all the time, I personally like to travel light.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Russ

George,<BR><BR>Cybercafes are all over the place in Rio. No problem with that.<BR><BR>Re the laptop... whenever I travel with mine, I always bring the receipt for it. I don't think you would have a problem with this in Brazil as they don't have a VAT tax, but once when I was leaving Canada an overzealous customs agent was asking me if I paid the taxes on it.<BR><BR>I don't think you would have a problem with it in terms of security, but if you were bringing it in hopes of dialing in to an ISP then I'd leave it. As much as I rave about Rio on this forum, I must honestly say that their phone system leaves a lot to be desired, at least when using MY modem. The cybercafe computers usually had better connectivity than my own laptop, which was driving me crazy!

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 02:23 AM
BOBBY

The internet cafes are great. They have people who speak english and help you with all your needs. You can use your laptop if you like. The access is quick. There is one right next door to my office in Copacabana. That is where Don is at now. If you need anymore infor contact me by email directly. I own www.blameitonrio4travel.com <BR><BR>Have a great day,<BR><BR>Bobby

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Don

Yes Bobby you were right because after I finished in the internet cafe Tudo Facil I stopped in to say hello and we talked about this board.

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never utilized an internet cafe. What is the approx cost? Also, is it easy or difficult to access a U.S. ISP/e-mail account?
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 08:54 AM

Frank, boy you sure dug up an old post and that was over 3 years ago, today there are many more internet cafes all over Rio, seems like 1 on every block and you can access anything you want all over this world, that's why they call it the world wide web.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:43 AM

Dondiega:

How about the cost? I have never used an internet cafe. What's the approx cost; is it by the minute?, by the hour?
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:29 PM

I have traveled to Rio the last 3 years. Most recently in Nov. 2005, I used the cafes a lot, the cost was about $5R ($2.50) for a half hour or so, not bad at all. Some are less than others, so check out a few. I think the competition is helping with the cost. like Bobby said in 2002 the English speaking attendants were very helpful, because most of the computer's text was in Portuguese.

It was great for downloading photos off of my camera to share with friends there. They have CD burners (probably DVD burners by now). I used the cafe's for email, paying my bills I forgot, checking my bank and credit card accounts to make sure there was no funny stuff going on. There were no problems with internet security.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 05:19 PM

Frank one other thing many of the hotels today even have access in the hotel either free or pay by the minute like the other poster just said. There is also a place I go to that is pretty new, it is a sports bar in Copacabana it is called The Office, they have big TV's all over the place, great bar and great food to enjoy plus they have free internet access while you are a custome there. It is located on the street exactly behind that infamous disco Help.