Search

Intensive Spanish Classes?

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intensive Spanish Classes?

I'd like to learn conversational Spanish fast! I arrive in August and plan to stay awhile. Any ideas? Laureen
Old May 12th, 2003, 12:56 PM

Berlitz has been reliable for some of my friends.I'm sure there's lots out there.
Old May 12th, 2003, 01:32 PM

Where are you going?
How long will you be there?

Old May 12th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

BeachBoi,Is there a Bertlitz in CR? Where?
Argra, I'm not sure where I'll end up, but for sure within a bus ride away to classes. I want to stay in CR long enough to finish a book I'm writing.
Thanks for any info. Laureen
Old May 12th, 2003, 06:26 PM

A web search or a good guide book will give you a list of several spanish language immersion schools in Costa Rica. They all have different methods so you would have to find the kind that would work for you. I was given advice by someone down there a few years ago to just hire a tutor.
Old May 13th, 2003, 05:32 AM

http://www.berlitz.com/local/costarica/?ISO=en
HTH
S
Old May 13th, 2003, 06:50 AM

Laureen,
I'm going to Costa Rica this June to study Spanish. I already speak Spanish, but need to work on my language skills. I've spent more hours than I care to count researching schools and trying to find the right place for me. Part of your considerations are your personal goals - a great school for one person may not meet another person's needs. Since I am a professional and use Spanish in the workplace I wanted to avoid beach hangout type schools. My number one priority is language acquisition and culture. I finally chose ILISA Language Institute in San José. They seem to have the highest quality program of all those I've considered. They have some great after-school enrichment activities as well. Also - adults make up a large percentage of of their students, which, in my opinion, makes for a more serious (but still FUN) learning environment.

Their website is www.ilisa.com. I've written to Thorwald Westmass (the owner) many, many times with various questions. He has always responded quickly and professionally and they are VERY willing to take into account your personal goals and needs. They seem to be TOP-NOTCH and I'm really excited about my upcoming trip. Feel free to write if you have questions

[email protected]
Old May 13th, 2003, 09:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm confused. You want to start Spanish at home before your trip begins in August?

Or you want to find a Spanish school somewhere, anywhere, in Costa Rica after August?
Old May 13th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Suze: you're second question was right. I'll arrive in August and want to learn spanish then. Yes, I know it seems backward, but I'm extremely busy right now.
Thanks BeachBoi and Argora. L.
Old May 13th, 2003, 11:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Laureen, Actually it makes good sense! My comment was going to be that 3 months was not really enough time to even do a cram/intensive, especially if Spanish is new to you.

As a lifelong student (obviously not a terribly successful one-LOL) of the language, I find I do much better in real life situations (grocery shopping, watching TV, listening to the radio, reading billboards & newspapers) than I do in a classroom situation at home. Back this up with a language intensive and/or private tutor and you'll be on your way... bien suerte!
Old May 14th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Suze, real life is better for me too. I lived in Holland for one year. I can say that I can now speak Dutch fluently to a six year old. Actually, I do okay in the markets and everyday situations. This is what I want to do in CR. I did study Spanish about 150 years ago....don't remember much. Thanks for your help. L.
Old May 15th, 2003, 09:01 AM

Antigua Guatemala is the "spanish school capital of the hemisphere"! Or at lest it seemed that way to me. There must be 20-25 schools in town teaching one-on-one Spanish. I went three times and it is great instruction, cheap, and Antigua is a great town. Best of all, it is 4500 ft and the temp is between 72-82 all year round. Students from all over the world. You'll have 20 friends the minute you step in the door. You can take 1/2 day or full day classes. One on one is far superior to group instruction. Stay with a local family arranged by the school. I attended La Escuela San Jose El Viejo three times. Let me know if you'd like further.
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

lweber. Thanks. Yes, I'd like more information regarding the cost and location of Antigua. L.