Reload this Page >

Ideas for things that Senior Citizens would enjoy in Cancun

Notices

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next year my parents will turn 70 years old and will have their 45th wedding anniversary. My Mom wants them to take a trip to Cancun with my husband and I. We've been there twice before and loved it. We plan on taking them to the downtown market place, to El Mexicano for the show, to Perico's for dinner for the marimba music and to the restaurant where they bring you your food in boats. My aunt had recommended the place but I cannot recall the name right now.

I am debating whether Chichen Itza or Tulum would be a good idea because that are such long days. When we went on the Chichen Itza tour on our honeymoon, I was exhausted by all the walking. I'm not sure they could make it.

I was also thinking about an early dinner at Sr Frog's restauant for people watching. Does anyone have any comments or any other ideas, especially if you are a senior?
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 04:53 PM

Well, I'm sure MY MIL is not the typical 73 year old, but whenwe have taken her to Mexico, she LOVED going to some of the glitzy nightclubs and people-watching.

One of the ones she enjoyed the most was Azucar. They have live Salsa bands, and everyone gets all dressed up (tourists and locals alike) and dances. There are places to sit on banquettes back away from the music that are not overly loud.

She also enjoyed the dining choices, checking out some of the shopping malls, and just the whole experience in general. Her very favorite was dinner at Maria Bonita - so much fun with the music and dancing and the waitstaff is hilarious. (Food is always good too.)

La Habichulela is another rest. that would be fantastic. Get a courtyard table.

The downtown market is a great idea - see if there is anything goin on in downtown when you are there. We went to some kind of children's festival that was going on, and we were the only tourists and were welcomed. It was wonderful.

Tulum is VERY hot. We took my Dad to Coba and Tulum (he was 75 at the time) and he just loved it and scrambled all over everything, but he is in such good shape it makes me tired to think about it. Unless they are really up to hours in VERY hot temps, I don't know... You would know best.

ANother option would be to take a van to Playa del Carmen for the day. Stunning beach and lots of cool shops and places to eat.

Enjoy the trip. It sounds wonderful!
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 04:18 AM

Since we are in that age category I would suggest Tulum and forget Chitzen Itzen because its too long a trip and too hot,. If there is a Folklorica in Cancun they might enjoy that. BTW ask THEM what they'd like to do...for me a flea market would be heaven..
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:55 AM

Take the ferry over to Isla Mujeres. Very quick and cheap. Then rent a gold cart and tour the island. It's beautiful and has outstanding beaches and scenery and some fun shopping. Go to dinner at Casa O's. Fabulous. The owners are very, very nice.