Hyuana Picchu

Sep 2nd, 2004, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Hyuana Picchu

Has anyone hiked Hyuana Picchu in the Machu Picchu area? Was the hike difficult and would you recommend it?
Sep 2nd, 2004, 07:15 PM

Do you mean Huayna Picchu, the steep mountain near the central plaza on the right side?
Sep 3rd, 2004, 05:08 AM

It's Huayna Picchu. In any case, my fiancee and did the 2 day inca trail last year and after we arrived in Machu Picchu, we decided to climb Huayna Picchu with some of the people in our group. Our consisted of mix ages (30's, mid 20's, and mid 30's), we were all average physically, and it took about 45 minutes to get to the top. Yes, there are some areas of the hikes that are very steep and strenous, and if you planning to do this, bring a couple of bottle of water and wear sturdy hiking shoes. Once you get to the top, there is a rope that you will need to use to get to the peak of the mountain....don't worry, it's easy. Once you are on the peak of the mountain, take a moment and sit on the rock (you'll see that it has a shape of a seat)....and just take it all in,....it's hard to describe the feeling and beauty of everything around you.

Have fun!
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Yes , sorry about the misspelling.
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:21 PM

So it is Huayna Picchu.

The hike is ok as far as the level of difficulty concerned. The trail to the top is very well maintained, most part with iron string by the mountains that you can hang on and there are at least two difficult points you can haul yourself up with ropes. Some very steep and tall steps as the other poster mentioned. In final portion, you need to go thru a tunnel bearly wide enough for an average person. It takes me about one hour to get to the top, right after the Inca Trail and a major flare up of my back problems.

Do I recommend it? Well, it certainly provides a very nice view but I wouldn't say it is a must. So I guess it all depends on if you have other priorites. But anyway, it takes all together only one hour and half for being doing it so it is not a big deal either way.