Huatulco

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 09:29 AM
Joy

Huatulco

Has anyone stayed at the Gala Resort Huatulco? <BR> <BR>We booked for end of Feb -Gala Royal Club - this option is quite a few $$$ extra.Has anyone any experience with this? Did you get a "nice" room what "extras" did you receive. <BR> <BR>Any information about Gala Huatulco would be appreciated. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:07 AM
joy

Did we make a mistake in picking Huatulco? <BR> <BR>We have been to Cozumel, Akumel, Tulum thought we might try the Pacific side. <BR> <BR>Any info on the Gala Resort and Huatulco would be appreciated. <BR> <BR>thanx

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:35 AM
sara

No, you did not make a mistake picking Huatulco. It's a great place, not overly built up (yet) and very beautiful. We stayed at what is now the Gala resort a few years ago, but it was owned by another hotel company then. It was a very nice property, and most of the rooms seem to have a great view of the ocean. There is not much of a "town" in Huatulco, it's a collection of silver and other souvenir shops obviously built just for tourists, but if you like to just enjoy the sun and fun in a beautiful place, you've made a good choice.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 08:28 AM
Fan

Hi ! I don't think you made a mistake. We went to Huat, 2 Febs in a row and stayed at the Sheraton,next door to your hotel. We didn't want all-incl. The weather is perfect. The ocean can be calm enough for a swim, or rough (mostly rough), I guess. There is lots of shade on the beach and the beach is clean, quiet, and lovely for a walk. <BR> <BR>There are 2 towns. Crucescita, built for the tourist industry. And Santa Cruz (I think that's the name) It's the original town. Both are a taxi ride away, (the drivers think they are racers) and are worth an evening's visit.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Joy's Helper

Huatulco/Santa Cruz is on my places to visit but the consistently high air fares have prevented it so far. <BR>Here's a website you can visit and there's a 'bulletin board' for the area as well with what appears to be friendly and helpful people posting messages. <BR> <BR>http://www.tomzap.com/oaxaca.html <BR> <BR>Good luck and hope the website above proves helpful and informative for you.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 02:34 PM
Joy

Thanks everyone for the info. I feel much better about our decision to try Huatulco. <BR> <BR>My only concern is that the ocean is "rough" - we love to snorkel. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 06:54 PM
texasgirl

Joy, I've not stayed at the Gala but have been to Huatulco. Maybe it was just our luck, but the water was quite rough on our trip _ so much that we couldn't really snorkel, and it is not the pretty blue water you are used to from the Akumal side. As previous folks have said, it is not very built up, which is actually kind of nice. If you have time,you might want to rent a car and drive up the coast a couple hours to see the surfers at Puerto Angel//Puerto Escondido. These are kind of hippie beach towns, not to everyone's taste but I liked hanging out there and eating at the palapa seafood restaurants on the beach, etc. Also, you're a short flight from Oaxaca _ one of my favorite cities in Mexico, with beautiful arts and the prettiest square that is also much fun to hang out in in the evening. If you have a couple days to spare it's a great side trip.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 04:03 PM
Brian

The bay in front of the hotels is wide and open to the ocean and therefore has more waves, but when I was there several years ago, the hotels offered boat trips to smaller nearby bays where you could snorkel right off the beach. The water in those bays was calm and clear and there were alot of colorful fish. The coral were mainly the large brain coral.