How much to tip drivers and guides?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in CR next week and I am unsure (even after doing a search here) about tipping. We will be using private drivers to get from the airport to Monteverde and then to Arenal and back to San Jose. What is the appropriate tip to the driver for these transfers? 20% of the cost of the transfer? or?

Also, it is okay/not okay/desirable to tip in dollars?

How about tips for private guides, like if we hired one to take our family of four on a cloud forest walk?
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 11:26 AM

I have no idea if we tipped appropriately, but we tipped the drivers about 20%, and for the guides, we gave them $10 for an adequate job and $20 if we felt like we got personalized attention. For restaurants, they usually added 10% tip onto the bill automatically, but we usually left a little extra because the service was always good and the food was pretty affordable. We used U.S. dollars everywhere we went and had no problems.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 06:23 AM

volcanogirl tipped about twice what I did, but there was only one of me. US dollars are OK, but colonies would save the guide changing them.

Keith
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both so much. I realize appreciate the advice I've gotten on this forum. We are leaving tomorrow and I am kind of freaking out, travel agent is not returning calls or emails and it is not clear whether scheduled transfers were actually arranged. I'm sure it will all work out, but trying to figure this out while also packing and so forth is making me severely stressed.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 09:09 AM

First thing to do when you get there, grab an Imperial, and it will all be better.

We've never had any problems with any transfers despite excessive flight delays, etc. I think you'll be okay.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, I will do that. I have a bad habit of letting myself get overly stressed and am spending way too much time today thinking about everything that could go wrong. This is my first time leaving the US for vacation and all my excitement has given way to anxiety. But I know it will be great, and once we actually get there, I will relax and be happy.