Search

How long in Tikal?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long in Tikal?

Hi gang. Planning on hitting up Belize / Tikal next year. If we are "based" in San Ignacio, is a one-night stay at Tikal enough to get a good feeling for it? And if you do one of the overnight night tours that every hotel in S.I. offers, at what time do you return the following day? I presume that you would have some time to tour the park the afternoon that you arrive, spend the night, and then maybe have a few more hours the following morning? Thanks.
NWG
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:32 AM

One day is probably enough. Most people leave after lunch. I really enjoyed hanging around for the sunset from Temple 4 on my last trip. The park was nearly empty of tourists and it was so peaceful. I could really hear the birds and monkeys.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:34 PM

I just returned from Guatemala and enjoyed overnighting at Tikal for the 2nd time, though the experiences were different. In 2003 our family headed over in the morning from Belize, enjoyed the afternoon stomping around and climbing Temple 4 for sunset. In the morning we headed to Mundo Perdido which was alive with roaring howler monkeys and parents and toucans feeding at eye level in the canopy. We headed back to Belize after lunch.

This year my friend and I arrived at 3 from Rio Dulce so we just had to pay once for that afternoon and the next day. They say the cost is 150 quetzales now (about $20 US) but they only charged us 50 quetzales each, about what it was 4 years ago. We spent until about 6:30 exploring and I especially enjoyed sitting on the stairs most of the way up on Temple 4 watching the spider monkeys groom each other and bed down for the night. Dark clouds were rolling in and the sun slanting underneath made the lighting on the ruins incredible. It starting to POUR around 6:30 pm and rained hard through most of the next day - apparently a little Hurricane Dean gift. We went out again the next morning but didn't have much success with wildlife because of the rain. Very exciting to tromp around the jungle and up and down pyramids in the wind and rain, especially Temple 5 - yikes! We headed to Flores before noon.

Both times I felt an afternoon and a morning was sufficient, though you could spend weeks and not see it all. Have a great trip!
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:19 PM

One night is good. I just got back and we toured all day as we arrived in the morning. Then we had lunch and went to view the sunset from Temple 4. Temple 5 where you normally view the sunset was closed as there was a a tragedy a few weeks prior. A woman slipped on it and passed. Definetely do a sunrise tour the next morning and another tour to see the more of the outer areas in the afternoon. After that, we took a van to Flores. If you stay for one night and two days, you are defintely walking around all day. Some people stay two nights if they go to the musuem etc. You could defintely occupy yourself if you stay an extra night or two and you wouldn't have to cram so much in. I paid about $50 each day for a guide on both days and its definetely worth it. All the guides have to go through rigorous training to work at any of the sites in Guatemala. You will not be disappointed.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:48 PM

Hopefulist, where did you stay at Rio Dulce? Where at Tikal? I'm planning a trip for January.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 05:57 AM

We stayed at Bruno's in Rio Dulce in room 15 - best in the house (unless you don't like stairs). It had 2 doubles and a set of bunks, private bath with hot water, tv, air con and a big fan. There was a nice balcony shared with one other room with a hammock and a nice view over the water. The hotel is surrounded by huge trees that towered over our 3rd floor balcony. We thought the food in the restaurant was great and enjoyed the pool. Mostly sailors stay there, I think - lots of regulars. Internet was available but not very fast. We just stayed 2 nights with a day trip to Livingston between and arrived and left on long bus journeys so it was great having a hotel just off the bridge near the stations. I'd try Finca Tatin from what I've read if I had more time but we were very pleased with Bruno's ($40/nt/dbl).

We chose the Tikal Inn in the park and it was gorgeous. We had room C-10, again a fabulous room with 2 double beds and private hot water bath and right near the pool. My family stayed at the Jaguar Inn 4 years ago which was fine but the Tikal Inn was much nicer and I enjoyed the pool inspite of the Hurricane Dean-related weather part of our stay ($75/nt/dbl included dinner and breakfast).

We stayed one night in Flores, too, and Casona de la Isla and loved it, too - room 303 with a view over the pool to the lake. Not as glamorous as the Tikal Inn but very nice, helpful staff, nice restaurant with a veranda by the lake, balcony by our room, great shower ($52/nt/dbl).

I'm usually a budget traveler and had been living in very rustic homestays for 2 weeks so these 3 places were welcomed splurges.

I'd like to mention, too, the other places we stayed:
Casa Cristina in Antigua, Mario's Rooms in Panajachel, and the new hostel in Nebaj associated with El Descanso restaurant, all excellent. I'll post a travelogue on the Thorntree Forum soon and post a link to it here.

Hope that helps - happy trails!
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 07:33 AM

Thanks, looking forward to reading your report.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 09:21 AM

We have the Rio Dulce on our list for our next trip down. After yet another trip to Tikal....I love that place. Will be looking forward to your report. I could spend at least 3 days there and probably more.