Hotel in San Jose?

Jun 12th, 2003, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Hotel in San Jose?

Can anyone recommend a good hotel in San Jose or near the airport? I will only be staying one night, and then traveling the next morning to Arenal. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!
Jun 12th, 2003, 07:05 AM

I've stayed at a couple of hotels in S. Jose. The Hotel Don Carlos http://www.doncarloshotel.com/hotel.htm is a rambling set of buildings in a great location. Charming and quaint. The Hotel Grano do Oro http://www.granodeoro.com/ is a little more upscale and has a great courtyard restaurant. But the location isn't as convenient as the Don Carlos. I liked staying at both, but preferred the location of the Don Carlos. If you're only going to be there for a night and will be walking around Avenida Central, I'd stay at the Don Carlos. If you want spend a little more money for finer accommodations and the convenience of the restaurant, try the Grano de Oro.
Jun 12th, 2003, 12:42 PM

I've stayed at the Hampton Inn (actually in Alajuela), which is close to the airport & outside the city of San Jose. We drove to Arenal the next day -- it was easier when you have a rent car, not having to mess with SJ. There are a couple other hotels & B&B's in Alajuela that I've seen discussed on this board.

IF you're not renting a car and taking the bus on to Arenal, then I would consider staying in the city proper, per the above poster's suggestions.
Jun 12th, 2003, 04:41 PM

Once again, I agree with Tess.
If you're renting a car, stay in Alajulea. It's at least a half hour closer to Arenal. If taking a public bus, San Jose would be better and Grand De Oro is great.
Hampton Inn is pretty bland. Doesn't really feel like Costa Rica, no views, etc. Check out Orquideas Inn. 15 minutes from the airport in Alajuela and a fabulous breakfast buffet included in the price.
Jun 17th, 2003, 05:02 PM

Don Carlos is my favorite place to stay if in SJ proper - very charming - you are near the Jade Museum, etc., and do eat at the Aioki Hotel only about 4 or 5 blocks from it. I find it to be a safe area and they park your car for you in a locked garage. I've stayed at the Qrquideas Inn in Alejuela at other times which has the Marilynn Monroe bar and a great breakfast.
Marilynn
Jun 18th, 2003, 11:22 AM

We stayed at Xandari close to Alajeula. It a fabulous place, like a paradise!