Hidden Valley or Chaa Creek

Jan 20th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Hidden Valley or Chaa Creek

Does anyone have an opinion on comparing these two resorts? Chaa Creek is about $100 more per night for our party of 3. Is it worth it? Trip advisor has great reports on both.
Jan 20th, 2009, 06:46 PM

If you want a fabulous jungle experience, consider Chaa Creek's jungly cousin, Macal River Jungle Camp www.belizecamp.com . I think it's still $55/night/pp including a wonderful dinner and breakfast. You have access to the Chaa Creek museum, butterflies, internet, tours, canoing, hiking, etc. Happy trails!
Feb 16th, 2009, 05:46 AM

Looked at link and for Chaa Creek lowest double rates seem to be $150 pp per night--for 2 of us that would be $300.

Macal River looks interesting but at 60 and 70 years not happy about shared bathrooms.
Feb 16th, 2009, 07:10 AM

Two very fine inns. CC is along the Macal River in tropical foliage, closer to Tikal, San Ignacio town, Xunantunich. Has a spa on premises with a butterfly farm. HVI is the in the Mtn Pine Ridge, unique property on 7200 acres with 7 waterfalls and 90 miles of hiking trails. Closer to Caracol, Barton Creek cave and the Mtn Pine ridge of course. Both have pools.
Feb 16th, 2009, 07:19 AM

ladybegood -
Here's the price info if you decide the shared bathrooms don't scare you away from Macal River Jungle Camp:

http://www.chaacreek.com/rates/prices/casitas/

We had a fantastic time there - loved the jungly setting, the nice, comfortable cabins and open air dining room, saw iguanas, toucans, aricaris, parrots, and motmots from our bunks and hammocks. There are good hiking trails and you have access to the canoes, butterly place, and natural history museum at Chaa Creek as well as their tours (a few are free, others expensive). The food was really amazing (breakfast and dinner provided for the $55/night per person cost) and the camp host, Dolcio, very helpful and charming.

Have you looked into The Trek Stop? www.thetrekstop.com They have cabins with private bathrooms now and we absolutely love that place, too. It is a budget place, a bit rustic but well thought out. You can shop at the store in the village and cook your own meals in the share kitchen or buy prepared meals there - delicious traditional Belizean fare. It is not in the jungle but we enjoyed the wooded setting - lots of hammocks strung about, kinkajous in the trees at night, and mangos plopping down out of the towering trees in the summer. The owners (retired American professors and a wonderful local man) are extremely friendly and helpful.

The website isn't loading right now but I'll keep trying. I think the cabins with private bath might be $30 +/- per night double.
Feb 16th, 2009, 05:45 PM

www.thetrekstop.com is up now.
The rate there for a large double cabin with private bath is $38/night.
Feb 18th, 2009, 04:20 PM

We'll be staying at Chaa Creek in mid-May. Will report. . .expecting great things! Hidden Valley sounds lovely as well. But there is something to be said for hopefulist' suggestions as well. I like the sound of both Macal Jungle Camp and Trek Stop. We like those kind of places, especially the prices. This time we are "luxe"-ing it, though. It's a surprise for my husband. He won't know where we are going until we arrive at our gate at DFW. He will croak at the prices!
Feb 18th, 2009, 04:20 PM

I meant to say mid-March.