Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

What's up with Tabacon Resort not having 2007 room rates until October ?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if you want a room in January 2007, you essentially have to book without knowing what the room rate is (to ensure you get a room), and then if they feel like raising the rates to (even more) ridiculous levels, I will get charged a fee to cancel...?

That doesn't sit well with me...
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:29 AM

gailching - They are adding more rooms as we speak, construction is ongoing. From what I hear from one of the locals, they are planning to privatize the hot springs so only those people who stay at Tabacon can use them. I don't know when the rooms will be completed, probably by January, but maybe they don't know what they will have to charge yet. I would think that they will need to make up for the loss of revenue from outside visitors.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:30 AM

Then don't book it until October. There are lots of places to stay in Arenal/La Fortuna.

When we went in March, we did it all on the fly, and there were lots of places to stay when we got into town.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:31 AM

As far as hot springs - we went to Baldi's and found it to be wonderful, and it was less expensive (and probably less crowded) than Tabacon.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Yes, you are correct KAudry, I just thought it might be a treat to stay at Tabacon, but maybe not if they are going to put their clients in this somewhat compromising position. And if I wait until October to book at Tabacon, I'm pretty sure their cheaper volcano view rooms will be gone...

From what seawitch is saying, I guess I should be careful b/c it sounds like a possibility that the prices might suddenly jump by $100 or something.

I realize that there are rooms that you can book "on the fly", but the most popular rooms on this site tend to go much earlier ie. in Monteverde, the Montain Suites with fireplaces are already booked up for the end of January /07!!