help with my itinerary

Nov 19th, 2017, 07:41 AM
Original Poster
help with my itinerary

Dear all

I would like to ask for some help with my itinerary.

My daughter (21) and I will be traveling through Costa Rica during the first 2 weeks of April. I know this is top season but we have no other choice (depending on school holidays).

Our main interests are spotting any kind of wildlife, hiking (15 to 20 km), enjoying nature, ...

We are now thinking about:

1 - 2 April : Tortuguero
As it is not the nesting turtle season and the chance of seeing a leatherback turtle coming on shore, is this still worth the trip?

3-4 April : La Fortuna - Arenal
Is one full day enough? I've read there is not so many wildlife there ...

5 - 6 April : Monteverde - Santa Elena
Same question here
We would love to do some of the thrilling option they offer in that area, but it's all so very expensive. So what's the most 'must do' there (Canopy tour, Sky Trek, Sky Walk)?

7 - 8 April : Tamarindo
We're hoping to see the leatherback turtle come ashore in P.N. Marino Las Baulas. Does anybody know if there is a night watch looking out for them?

9-10-11 April: Manuel Antonio
Are 2 full days to much? Is this a good snorkel spot?

12-13 April: ???

14 April: evening flight back home

What do you think about this itinerary? Would you advise us to go to Drake Bay on April 12th? Or Uvita?

Would you change the order because of the high tourist season or doesn't that matter?

Thank you all very much in advance for any support you can give us!

Thanks a lot and warm regards

Nov 20th, 2017, 09:52 AM
For me this is way too much moving around. It takes a while to get from place to place. One day is definitely not enough in the La Fortuna area; we usually stay four nights when we go.
Nov 20th, 2017, 12:22 PM
I agree with volcano girl. Too much moving around. You have to figure a whole day will be shot traveling from place to place. I would add your extra days to say Arenal.
Nov 20th, 2017, 12:56 PM
Since, it won't be turtle season, I would scrap Tortuguero and instead do the Cano Negro tour out of the Arenal area. It gives you a very similar experience. Lots of monkeys, caimans, and water birds in this area. Desafio is a great company to go with. La Fortuna does have some nice wildlife depending on where you stay. We stayed at the Arenal Observatory Lodge on one of our trips and saw monkeys, toucans, coatis, and great currasows almost daily. The further you are from town, the more you'll see. Also some nice hiking at the Hanging Bridges, volcano, and the waterfall. There are also gorgeous natural hot springs like Tabacon where you can relax in the evenings. If you like adventure, I'd go ziplining. Sky Trek is available in both the Arenal area and Monteverde. Two days isn't really enough in Manuel Antonio. I'd stay at least three nights there; we usually stay four. You can do a guided tour of the park with Manuel Antonio Expeditions - tons of wildlife in the park and a gorgeous beach as well. We also like the Damas mangrove tour - lots of monkeys on that one. The Villa Vanilla Spice tour is fun too. We like staying at Tulemar Bungalows - great place, and they have their own beach.
Nov 20th, 2017, 02:30 PM
Monteverde caters to birders - you can see quetzals there, and the weather can be quite chilly. We wore fleece jackets and sweatshirts at night, and our hotel had the fireplace going. Don't miss a guided tour of the Reserve. The Hidden Valley night hike is fun too. You can zipline here, but I prefer doing it in the Arenal area because you get great lake and volcano views if the weather cooperates.

Manuel Antonio is not good for snorkeling due to sediment in the water. Most of CR isn't great for snorkeling.
Jan 1st, 2018, 04:51 AM
Original Poster
Thank you all for your reply. Wish you all a very happy new year!

Search this Thread