Help with 7 nights in Guatemala

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I purchased 2 rt tickets to Guatemala in March with no previous intentions of ever going there. After some research on this form, I'm thinking very simply,

Arrive in GUA at 11:30 am. Take the shuttle or taxi? to Lake Atitlan for 3 nights. Then onto Antigua for 4 nights?

Would it be easier to go to Antigua the first 2 and last 2 nights w/ the lake in between? Please advise.

Hotels in Antigua, Posada El Antano and Primavera in Panajachel?

For shopping, does anyone know where I may find votive candle stands, (found in catholic churches?)

Thanks again

Old Dec 18th, 2008, 03:07 AM

Good choice! I'm a little jealous - I won't get to see Guatemala again until July.

I'd head to Antigua 1st but 3 nights would be plenty there for me. Shuttles can be arranged ahead from GUA to Antigua but it's easy to catch a taxi or shuttle once there; when I was there in 2007 the on-the-spot shuttles were $10/person, taxis $25-30 per trip. The Inguat office in Antigua has great maps and ideas for exploring Antigua and the surrounding area.

You don't give your exact dates but you should consider a trip to the market in Chichicastenango on a Thursday or Sunday; Sunday market also means fascinating activities in and around the churches by the plaza where the market is. Don't miss the produce market there, inside the community building - one of my favorite places in the world to be as the colors and culture are absolutely dazzling. Chichi is easily visited from either Antigua or Panajachel but closer to Pana and between could work well. I like spending the night before the market there but that would make 3 bases in 7 nights for you so a day trip might be best.

In 2007 I stayed in both towns at fabulous budget places and can't help with lodging besides that. Nimpot in Antigua sells a museum-like selection of handcrafts but the prices were better in Panajachel.

I've posted a link to my photos below, travelogue links on the main page of most of the collections. Happy trails and keep us posted!
http://flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi Hopefulist and others,
The flight is on Delta arriving Thu and departing the next Thu at around noon. Go to Antigua for 2 nights then head to the lake and finish off the last 2 nights in Antigua?

For Lake Atitlan, should we base ourselves to just one local or split the 4 nights around the lake? We plan to do the Chi-ango market on Sunday.

As for transportation, I have read that some just walk out of customs at GUA and have no problems. Others state, make res 1 or 2 days before arrive

Old Dec 30th, 2008, 03:19 AM

I'd find a base on Atitlán rather than moving around more - it's easy to visit other villages during the day. Shuttles from the airport should be $10/pp but you might have to wait around for more clients to join you; they'll drop everybody at their hotel but that can take awhile. A taxi will run $25-30 (for the ride, not per person) depending on your Spanish and bargaining skills and will drop you at your hotel as well; carry the address of the hotel with you if it's not a popular one. Keep us posted and please grace us with a trip story when you get home.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 04:45 AM

Usually walk right out of customs

share xport to Antigua $5...

Shuttle Atitlan $10

www.lacasadelmundo.com

my fav on the Lake

Hotel Regis Pana fairly nice

Iguana Perdida nice also..

Have Fun,