Search

Help Planning A Trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Planning A Trip

DH and I don't have dates set yet, but we would love to take a trip to CR next year. We do have an infant, but will not be traveling with her. We would like to do three days in Arenal, three days in MA and then our last day in San Jose so that we're closer to the airport. Can extend trip if necessary!

What are some recommendations for places to stay, things to do. I would LOVE to go canyoneering, DH is a beach guy.

Also, should we rent a car? From a lot of these posts, it seems that getting a touring van would be a better idea. Should we plan to bring only cash or are debit cards okay (DH worries about these sorts of things)?
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 03:58 PM

Both places have a ton of hotel choices for all sorts of budgets. We love the Lost Iguana in Arenal; Silencio del Campo is a good affordable option. In MA, I'd go with Buena Vista Villas or Tulemar Bungalow since they share a private beach.

We haven't done canyoneering yet, but check with Desafio and Pure Trek. For ziplines, I'd go with Sky Trek. We love the Cano Negro tour with Sunset Tours to see wildlife, natural hot springs like Eco Termales or Tabacon, hiking to the gorgeous waterfall and swimming at the bottom, and hiking the Hanging Bridges.

In MA, you can go to the beautiful beach inside the national park, take a guided tour to see wildlife, horseback ride, and do a mangrove tour or go sailing.

We always get a private driver through our hotels, but you can drive if you want to. Interbus is an affordable shuttle option to get from city to city. Guided tours will usually pick you up and drop you back off at your hotels. Taxis are available if you don't have a car. A lot of people like to have a car in Arenal since it's spread out. You don't really need one in MA; things are close together so you can walk or taxis are pretty cheap.

For your last night in San Jose, Grano de Oro is nice if you like a city hotel or Xandari if you like to be outside the city.
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 07:41 PM

We went Canyoneering in MA in March. It was an amazing experience, not so much for the repelling but for everything else. Our guide was wonderful. He took the 4 of us in an open backed truck into the mountains, stopping along the way to spot wildlife, examine interesting plants, or watch a man carve furniture from tree branches. When we arrived at the waterfall a woman was there to make us breakfast. Then we geared up, crossed a long rope bridge, took a short hike through the jungle, and arrived at a small "practice waterfall". Then with a guide at the bottom of the larger falls and one at the top we took turns repelling down. In March the waterfall was not much more that a trickle, but slippery! At the bottom was a pool for taking a dip and another waterfall for cooling off. After a short hike back, lunch was being prepared for us. Finally we took the truck back to our starting point. We all agreed that this was one of the highlights of the trip for the all around experience. If you are interested in a lot of repelling with larger waterfalls, this might not be the choice for you.

The SJO airport is in Alajuela. You might want to choose a hotel in that town for the first or last night of your stay. Have a great trip!
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 02:34 AM

r, what company did you use?
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 10:51 AM

I highly suggest you extend the trip as you mentioned that is an option. From Arenal to MA is about 4 - 5 hours of a drive so 1 of your 3 days would be spent traveling mostly. I would do at a minimum 4 nights in MA. Also depending on when you arrive into SJO you might want to add a night to Arenal. We LOVE the beach so we planned for only 3 nights in Arenal but I wish we had more as there is so much adventure their!

I also recommend using a driver - we didn't want to be bothered by having to focus on a map instead of the beautiful land; plus CR does not use road signs outside of SJO. We used Wilson Rojas and I cannot recommend him enough - 5 stars +++++. He was a tour guide more than a driver pointing out so many things along the way and stopping at places for us to see things etc.

Look at the below posts and read my trip report - there are 2, the "shorter" one is probably easiest just to get website info.

Your adventure, use DESAFIO!!! 5 stars

Also I created a video about our time in CR which we just came back from - you can watch it or read about my experience at: www.hollywoodwannab.blogspot.com
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 11:19 AM

Here's the name of another good driver that we use:

Carlos Bogarin
[email protected]
http://www.destinos-encantados.com/

Very nice, smart, kind man. He waited hours for us at the airport when our flight was delayed, so I love him for that! Also brought us cold bottled water and even blankets and pillows when our flight got in after dark. I've heard good things about Wilson Rojas too.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 08:48 PM

I just returned and could not wait to recommend this restaurant in Nuevo Arenal. It's called Gingerbread. Lonely planet wrote it up as maybe the best restaurant in Costa Rica. It did not disappoint. It was an an intimate culinary experience where the amazing Chef, Eyal connects with every table in his dining area. Can't recommend an evening with Eyal enough! One of the many highlights of our trip!

http://gingerbreadarenal.com/index.html

Stayed at the Arenal Observatory Lodge, which as far as nighttime lava viewing it can't be beat! Highly recommended!
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 06:37 AM

aj, thanks for the info. on the restaurant - it looks great.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 07:01 AM

VG We used Xtreme Adventure tours in MA.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 08:20 AM

Thanks, rp; that sounds like an awesome day.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 03:37 PM

YOU ARE MISSING THE CARIBBEAN! It is a place truly unique to Costa Rica. I have lived there for two years. I can tell you all about it along with some recommendations in my travel journals. check it out:http://www.travelexperiencecostarica.com/
Lisa