Search

help!!need cancun info

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 05:58 AM
debbie

help!!need cancun info

I am a concerned mother with a teenage son who is going to cancun this march with a group of same. This is his first trip abroad without his family.. having never been to cancun or mexico, but hearing lots of stories, can someone give me honest first hand knowledge re: what/what not to eat, cleanliness of ocean, personal safety, water sanitation or any info from anyone who has stayed at el pueblito (have read some message boards and don't like what I read--have also looked at their website and don't like that either!) please, your help would be greatly appreciated, debbie

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 05:26 AM
topper

ttt

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Marie

I went through the same last year with a daughter so I can relate. <BR><BR>The basic rule of thumb is this, if it cannot be boiled, or pealed do not eat it (such as lettuce for example) they use their water to wash it and it could cause problems. Bottled water ONLY yes even to brush your teeth. <BR><BR>Street smarts must be used at all times, and never never be alone, travel in groups!!!!!!!!!!! Watch those drinks, if it is out of your site for even a second, do not drink it, guys are not exempt from date rape drugs, they are also used for the purposes of robbing you. USE THE IN ROOM SAFES, never have more money on you than you intend to spend.<BR><BR>Make him call you every day for peace of mind, they sell phone cards there for calling home that you have to use on their phones (don't try to buy here)<BR>that is the cheapest way to call home. a $20 card will last him his trip, if he makes quick calls everyday.<BR><BR>He'll be fine. He will have a great time if he uses basic common sense.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 08:09 AM
xxx

don't quite get you. you sound rather panicked and if i knew so little about a place, i certainly wouldn't be sending my kid alone - assuming when you say teenage you mean under 18. <BR>cancun is a tourist stop that is very americanized. saw more mcdonalds & pizza huts then authentic mexican restaurants. i highly doubt that millions of people would be returning there every year if they were getting sick. common sense says to use bottled water or inquire at the hotel if their water is purified.<BR>sorry if this sounds offensive but i don't understand people who have planned trips and don't even know what to eat and whether the ocean is safe to swim in. <BR>i'd worry more about discussing condoms and drinking alcohol then anything else. it's a huge party place for young people.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 08:31 AM
lisa

I agree with the last poster as far as discussing drinking and safe sex. That would be my main concern sending my kid there. I've never been to Cancun, but I do watch the travel channel a lot, read here and the internet, and it's a party city for teens. While your son probably will drink there, I'd advise him if at all possible not to get real drunk then be an ass in public. He could end up in jail. As for the condom discussion, that's also a must.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 08:53 PM
Bonnie

My husband & I have been going to Cancun for the last 11 years for our anniversary. Been sick only once during a visit to Chichen Itza. Otherwise, no problems at all. We feel perfectly safe there. The ocean is beautiful. A lot nicer/cleaner than in St. Petersburg, FL. El Publito is located on the open Caribbean side, which can be rough with strong undertows at times. Hotels usually fly flags indicating water conditions. Hotels in the hotel zone have purified water, but we drink bottled. Have eaten fruit and salads at reputable restaurants many times with no problem. If he gets sick, it will most likely be from too much alcohol rather than the food/water. Cancun has become very Americanized since our first visit. If you ever get a chance, go. It's wonderful (except during spring break). As for spring break, if you want to get an idea of what it's like, watch Wild on the Mexican Riviera on E! or programs on Spring Break on the Travel Channel. I'd be more concerned about drinking/sex than anything else. Just tell him to use condoms and common sense. Unlike the US, if you break the law in Mexico, you're considered guilty until proven innocent.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 07:35 PM
I see

Well, Cancun is just a big city with a beach. The food is safe, drink bottled water, not tap, but at most hotels and restaurants, you don't even have to worry about it. Sounds like this teenager is going for spring break...Major parties, drinking, games, sex, and much more. I would be more worried about that than anything else. Spring break in Cancun is notorious for the party scene.