Help me pack for my CR trip

Dec 10th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Help me pack for my CR trip

My husband and I are going to Costa Rica for 15 nights from 12/21-1/5. We are each only bringing a carry on so that we won't have problems when we fly Sansa (limit 25 lbs). I need help figuring out what clothes I need (how many pants/jeans, shorts, fleece?, etc). We thought of doing laundry half way through the trip (even if we have to pay the hotel to do it). We will be doing a canopy tour, hiking, etc. Here is our itinerary:

La Mariposa, Manuel Antonio - 4 nights
Arenal Paraiso, Arenal - 4 nights
Tango Mar, Tambor - 6 nights
Xandari, Alajuela - 1 night

Please help!

Thanks,
Randi
Dec 10th, 2003, 01:48 PM

My husband and I spent a week in Costa Rica in January, 2000. We didn't go to Tango Mar(don't know where it is), but were in the other places you mention as well as the cloud forest. In Manuel Antonio it was hot. In Arenal it was cool and rainy. I'd take a fleece jacket and a water repellent jacket to wear over that. I don't think I'd take jeans. When they are damp, it takes a long time to dry. In Arenal our clothes hanging up overnight were damp in the morning. I did fine for the week we were there with 2 pair of slacks, one pair of shorts, t-shirts, and a couple of long sleeve shirts that could layer over them. As is often suggested, layers are the way to go.
Have a lovely time.
krisz
Dec 10th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Iza

Hi, we usually go for two weeks and I am able to pack such that I don't have to do laundry and I am able to stay within 25-27 pounds. I don't take jeans but do take one pair of zip off pants and another pair of long hiking pants as well as a few pairs of shorts and plenty of t-shirts or tanktops. I usually take one long-sleve zip up sweatshirt that I wear on the plane and another long-sleeve shirt that I pack. Sometimes I also pack a sundress. I wear my hikers or sneakers on the plane and pack one pair of teva type sandals and one pair of flip flops. I take enough undearwear and socks to last 2 weeks. Also, don't forget to take a couple of bathing suits, a wrap, sunblock, sunglasses, a hat, a rain poncho or jacket (maybe not necessary in the dry season) and a flashlight. Camera, film and binoculars are also required.

I pack it all in a lightweight duffle bag which doesn't add weight to the luggage and is much easier on the small planes than the stiff rolling suitcases.

Have a great trip!
Dec 11th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice! If anyone has anymore, please let me know.
Dec 11th, 2003, 01:12 PM

I pack the same way Iza does except that I bring two pairs of zip off pants and one pair of shorts. Basically the same thing. People do forget how heavy those suitcases can be and as she mentioned, a light weight duffle or soft backpack can really reduce the weight and give you more available weight for bringing more stuff.
Dec 11th, 2003, 05:12 PM

You guys really know how to rough it. I'm amazed. I will be in costa rica for 18 days in January and I'm taking 8 pairs of pants, probably about 6 pairs of shorts, 4 long sleeve shirts, maybe four to 8 other short sleeve shirts and T-shirts And don't try to talk me out of it. I need these clothes. I plan on doing a lot of 'dirty' stuff and don't want to do a lot of washing. At the end of my tour, I am taking an in-country flight from Manuel Antonio to San Jose. I'm hoping Costa Rica Expeditions will get my excess luggage back to San Jose by car. I'm proud of you girls though!
Dec 11th, 2003, 05:53 PM

CRE will get your clothes where they need to be LOL!!!! They did it plenty of times for us when we first started traveling to CR and didn't want to part with our clothes and cans of nuts, books, etc. I will make it through the whole month of Feb this coming year with my meager little back pack. We do plenty of dirty stuff too! Most of our time is spent mucking around in the woods. Those little Costa Rican rubber boots are very uncomfortable but come in handy for the really yucky places. After my husband leaves I pretty much hang out at the beach. Don't need many clothes there. A Sarong, bathing suit, cover up, shorts/tank tops and a couple of sun dresses is more than enough along with the shampoo, bug spray, sun block, etc.
What we did with CRE was have an extra suitcase with different clothes for the different areas. They would just store what we didn't need for that leg of the trip in their office in San Jose. I can't remember what I did with all those clothes now.
Have a good trip.