HELP Female Solo traveller in Latin America- My freind are telling me I'm carzy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, every year I have plans to visit Latin America, but there's always something that comes up and prevents me from going. I am planning on going to South America in October, 2006. I would like to visit Machu Pichu, Santiago, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Igazzu Falls and Rio. I do not speak Spanish and I usually travel solo. I have never been to South America and most of freinds are telling me not to travel solo, and suggest that I join a tour. What advise do fodorites have for me? Is Latin America safe to travel around? What language barriers will I encounter? What are the standards of accomodation? Also, how do airpasses in this area work? Can fodorites suggest any good tours? Thanks.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:12 PM

I don't think you are crazy, just adventurous. I do suggest you learn some basic conversational Spanish. You will be in areas where English speakers may not be common. Buen viaje.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:08 PM

I only vouch for Argentina, where you'll be perfectly all right, using normal precautions for a female solo traveller.

I only have some doubts about Rio.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:49 PM

Go for it, girl!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 04:12 PM

Hi going, I do not think you're crazy, since I like to travel solo as well. HOWEVER.....I can tell you about my experience in Rio last year. I only speak English, and the days that I was by myself, I had a bit of a hard time. It's not too bad if you are taking your time and don't have places to go, but if you have a time deadline (say, catching a plane home?), not knowing the language can be a bit of a barrier.

Maybe you can do half and half? Is it possible to be with a tour half the time, and travel solo for half? Then at least you have a contact in the place you are traveling in case something happens.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 06:28 PM

You have quite an itnerary there! I'm a female who frequently travels alone and have yet to have any problems. However, I speak Spanish pretty well and am very careful. Give yourself plenty of time, don't try to do too much keep your eyes open and have fun!