Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

help..Family of 5 wants Akumal this April/ AI , Mega resort or budget?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found out that the Akumal beach resort is full for the time we want. I was sold on the AI idea because the hotel seemed laid back with just enough for my three teens to keep busy with out costing too much. What should I do now? Loco Gringo has availability at the Catalonia and the Hotel Akumal Caribe next door to the ABR. I do not want to cook or stock food. I also have some disdain for the "Mega" resort that feels too chaotic with 100s of people by our side at all times. I also do not love the Buffet meals, but was kind of getting into the idea that our 17 year old could eat as he likes, as well as the lack of constant distraction of always having to agree on a place to eat. In the past we have stayed at the Camino real in PV. I didn't love it because we were stuck at their restaurant unless we all got into 2 taxi's to get to town. I also didn't find the Camino Real restful enough..Can anyone please help me with my dilemma. I was so sold on the ABR, now willing to go to a bigger but at what cost to our financial and vacation quality? Willing to take all creative ideas!! I need to book this ASAP.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 02:20 AM

It's a mega resort, but you may find it difficult to find the "perfect" situation for your criteria based on the fact you want to book spring break time frame at this date. Bahia Principe Akumal/Tulum could fit some of your criteria.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 04:45 AM

If Akumal is booked up try a villa in Tankah or Soliman Bay, just south of Akumal. There are 3 restaurants (no need to cook) in Tankah and a beautiful cenote besides the ocean.

Carole
www.casatropical.com
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

We are looking for the week after Easter, I don't know if that makes getting a reservation easier. Can anyone shed a little light on the Caribe vs. an AI in the area? I do not have to stay AI. Can anyone compare the Catalonia vs. the Bahia Principe Akumal/Tulum Re: Food, personal space and fun for teens. The Catalonia although an AI is 2x more than the Caribe. ..Thank- You
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Please...Can anyone compare the Catalonia vs. the Bahia Principe Akumal/Tulum Re: Food, personal space and fun for teens.
As well as the Caribe for a non AI experience.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 01:31 PM

Hooked,

I cannot comment on the AIs because we do not stay at them. We have stayed six times at Hotel Akumal Caribe and it is a really nice place, cannot beat the location, beachfront with a nice pool. There are also the bungalows Villa Maya (same management, just next door) which are a bit less expensive but are very spacious. HAC is on main Akumal beach which has terrific snorkeling, two dive shops and a bunch of restaurants including Lol-ha bar and snack bar, main Lol-ha restaurant, Turtle Bay Bakery and Cafe and my favorite, Cueva del Pescador. For cheaper eats there is also the loncheria next to the mini-super and Imelda's near the travel agency and last but not least Lucy's for shrimp tacos and mango ice cream. There are a few more places out on Half Moon Bay as well.

Carole's suggestion of a villa in Tankah is a real good one, as she states there are 3 restaurants in that area and you could drive or cab to others. Villa might be a little more spacious for a family of 5.

Have fun wherever you end up!
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 01:38 PM

You should ask the forum on locogringo.com - most have stayed at the hotels you mention and could help direct you.

http://www.locogringo.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=2