Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever stayed in an Amazon Lodge?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Brazil for 2 weeks in a month and staying in a number of places. Part of our itinerary includes a stay in an Amazon eco-lodge which we're very excited about but have heard that there are restrictions on baggage allowance for such stays. We are travelling from Manaus out to the lodge and apparently we can only take 5kg's with us for that 3 night leg of the trip and the rest of your luggage is stored back in Manaus until you return. Is anyone familiar with this or know about how secure the storage is? How strict are they on the 5kg limit - do they weigh your bags or are they just trying to make sure that you don't bring too much?

Any help on this much appreciated, and any further tips on 'must see' things in Rio, Iguacu, Salvador or Buzios would be great too! Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 01:38 PM

We travelled to an Amazon Eco Lodge last year and were also advised of the 5kgs luggage limit. The night prior we repacked everything and carried two small bags for our 2 night stay at the Ecopark Lodge. After arriving at the boat which was to take us to the lodge, to our amazement, all our luggage was put on the boat and transported to the lodge with us. From what I had heard beforehand the locked up area where luggage is stored is very secure but maybe it depends on what lodge you stay at as to whether you can take everything. Have a great visit tho. We just loved it and thought it was worth the extra mileage to take in a little of an amazon experience. Your itinerary sounds very similar. Simply amazing place, will definitely look at returning.

Carole
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi Carole,
Thanks for your reply - sounds like maybe they're not that strict - just trying to make sure that if the boat is full they have enough room for everyone and they're luggage!

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the feedback!
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 01:12 PM

It was a very large boat that took us to the Lodge. Plenty of room for many people and luggage.

Which one are you thinking of.

Carole
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

We've taken the easy way out (to save time researching) and already booked it through a travel agent so I'm not 100% sure which lodge it is but I believe it's this one:
http://www.brol.com/amazon_lodge.asp

We're so excited about this part of the trip as it's a real adventure for us. It's the closest we've got so far to backpacking and already I've got the feeling that by the time we get back we'll be ready to sell our flat (apartment) and take off round the world on a shoestring!

Anyway, better not get too carried away just yet.....!

Thanks for your help Carole. It's lovely to hear from someone who has done something similar. Did you travel to anywhere else in Brazil?
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 06:18 AM

We stayed at Tambopata Jungle Logde out of Peru. Quite an experience. It was a jungle out there and so very, very hot and humid. Lots of bugs. Our cabin had good screens so that was a help. Bring bug spray for you and your clothes. I gave most of our clothes to the boatman when we were leaving. Don't take much with you. We had problem with insects at home on the sofa where we unpacked. May not be directly related, but.... The good news, we saw fab parrots and other birds.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 11:09 AM

I have had a look at your lodge, it is not the same one we were at. We were a lot closer to Manaus. We were there in July last year and had no problems with any insects etc. I had dcked myself out in all the correct clothing and repellent but did not require any of that. Maybe it was the time of year. It also depends which river you are on.
We also visited Iguassu, Rio, Salvador and Fortaleza. All of these places had their distinct differences and were all wonderful. If you have any other questions please ask.

Enjoy your trip, I envy you.

Carole
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 06:51 PM

Kiwi..where did you stay out of Manaus?