Search

Guatemala with young kids?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 02:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guatemala with young kids?

Would we be cracy to consider a trip to Guatemala with our two yound kids (under age 3)? We've found a good language school but don't want to run the risk of being somewhere very unsafe just to learn Spanish. Are also considering Costa Rican schools, but a friend (single with no kids) loves Guatemala so I thought I might post.

Thanks.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 04:10 PM

We lived ten years in Guate and had our two kids there. Antigua is a great place to learn Spanish and very safe for kids, its also beautiful and only 45 mins away from Guatemala City.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 01:02 AM
Monroe

Message: Am also wanting to go to a language school in Guatemala but was advised not to as the Spanish is different to what I would have learnt for a month or so (or not!!!) in Oaxaca. Sounds odd to me, as I've never heard anyone on this forum mention it before. Can you post the name of the school you are interested in. Also details of costs, if you have them. Thanks a lot.

Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 03:46 AM

Hmmm what brain-box told you the Latin-American spanish in Antigua is different to Oaxaca? Look at a map they're hardly other ends of the continent. I've been from Mexico to Ecuador on the same language only coloquiallisms change and they're few and easy to pick up.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 09:42 AM

I've studied Spanish in both Mexico and Antigua and, unless my Spanish is so bad I didn't notice, they were the same. Maybe they were thinking of Spanish in Spain??? Also, I was a single female traveling alone and felt safe in Antigua.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Monroe

Thanks for the info. about spanish in Guatemala - funnily enough, it was the Mexican consulate here in Australia who told me to reconsider going toGuatemala for language school. Have decided to go though!

Old Mar 14th, 2004, 07:22 AM

I am going to Guatemala in the summer with my 2yr old and 5yr old for spanish classes also. When are you going? Still not sure if we are going to do Antigua or Xela. Would like to know if anyone has any recommendations for schools for families.