Search

Great beaches

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great beaches

Where can we go for the best beaches in Costa Rica? We are looking for a nice hotel on the beach, if there is such a thing in Costa Rica. Also, we would be looking to do some white water rafting and maybe see some of the bird sanctionaries.

Thank you
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Costa Rica isn't particularly known for its beaches (more for the wildlife and forest areas), but certainly there are some pretty beaches. Just don't expect Caribbean white sand/turquoise water! Some of our favorites are:

Playa Chiquita, southern Caribbean

Punta Uva (same area)

second beach inside Manuel Antonio park (can never remember which one it is)

Playa Conchal (access from Playa Brasilito unless staying at the Paradisus Playa Conchal AI)

Playa Flamingo (my personal favorite)

Playa Grande (near Montezuma--haven't personally seen that beach, but have heard others rave, so am passing it along)

Playa Grande (near Tamarindo)

Playa Matapalo (Cabo Matapalo, Osa Peninsula)

Playa Ventanas (south of Dominical)

Playa Ste. Teresa (also Malpais)

These are just a few of my personal favorites--for lots of reasons. Sunsets are phenomenal on the Pacific beaches!
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 03:38 PM

The beaches at Manuel Antonio are stunningly beautiful. There's the beach in the town, which is gorgeous. And there's the beach in the park, which is also gorgeous, with gentler waves. There are some cheaper cabana type hotels on the beach. The nicer hotels are in the hills overlooking the ocean. But getting to the beach by bus, shuttle, or taxi is very easy. Rafting is nearby. Don't know about bird sanctuaries, but I saw lots of amazing beautiful birds all over the place.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Actually this is "faithie" alias Bella boo on a new upstairs computer!

The most beautiful beach inside the park at Manuel Antonio is Beach #3, aka Playa Manuel Antonio or Playa Blanca.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 05:34 PM

bellaboo--I like that! Haven't heard from you in awhile. .where ya been? All well up there?

You know, I'm not sure we've EVER made it to the third beach inside the park. Is the second one (the one I mentioned that we liked) Playa Espadrilla? Or have I even spelled that right? I'm certainly not much of a Manuel Antonio expert---gotta hand that one off to you!
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 03:01 AM

Actually Beach #3 is "not" the 3rd beach "inside" the park....it's the 2nd. The main public beach is beach #1(Playa Espadila), beach #2 is the beach directly after you pay to enter park(Playa Espadila Sur).

Hi Jill, I've been around, we have a new computer which I use now and my other screen name is on the old one and I had difficulty trying to use it on this computer(if that makes sense).

Hope your well!
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 04:29 AM

Okay, I'm going to try to remember that this time! Yes, it is the 3rd beach that we always enjoy so much then! I will begin my day here in OK with a better understanding of the beaches of Manuel Antonio. What a relief!

Have a good weekend!
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 08:14 PM

Svetgirl
I'm having trouble posting but I'll try again.
Nice hotel with a nice beach?
I would say without a doubt Punta Leona Hotel. It has 3 beaches on the property and 1 of them is Playa Blanca and that's exactly what it is. White sand or light grey.
You can swim, snorkel, boogie board or just relax.
During the week nobody uses this beach and it's very peaceful. If you get lonely there's a pool area that's humongous.
There's restaurants at the beaches and another big one in the pool area.
There's tennis courts and horseshoe pitches as well.
They also have a guided or unguided jungle tour. The whole hotel area is a nesting area for the scarlet macaws. That's how they got the licence to build in the area.
It's about 20 minutes north of Jaco or about a $60 taxi ride from San Jose. You can also use interbus as well.
Punta Leona is a very safe place. It has gates and guards everywhere for you and the macaws protection.
web page:http://www.hotelpuntaleona.com/accomodations/index.htm
Good luck and have fun.
My wife and I will be there for the month of January.
Roger.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 02:25 PM

ttt