Reload this Page >

Got our plane tickets - need help choosing hotels in CR

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 07:36 AM
Iza

We have made reservations on our flights to and from CR for two weeks in August. This will be our second trip to Costa Rica and I am so excited I can't wait!!! <BR>Now the fun part begins: need to choose and book hotels. <BR>I need some advice on hotels in Quepos/mid Pacific area and Arenal. <BR>Our itinerary will be: <BR>Arrive San Jose 12:30pm Saturday - <BR>I can't decide whether we should stay the first night near San Jose (Vista del Valle or Xandari) and then fly to Quepos the next morning to stay at Si Como No for the next 3 nights or should we try to get to Villa Caletas Saturday afternoon, stay 2 nights there and then 2 nights at Si Como No. In any event we should be able to visit Manuel Antonio NP on Tuesday which will be our last full day in Quepos. <BR>day 5 - fly to Lapa Rios for 3 nights <BR>day 8 - return to San Jose in the morning and rent a car for the trip to Arenal and Tamarindo. <BR>Where should we stay at Arenal for 2 nights: the two places I am considering are Arenal Observatory Lodge and Montana de Fuego. Any comments on any of these? <BR>day 10 - drive to Tamarindo from Arenal and stay 4 nights at Capitan Suizo <BR>day 14 - return to San Jose and spend our last night at Vista del Valle or Xandari. Our flight leaves at 1:30pm the next day. <BR>We will be traveling with our 7 year old daughter who is adventurous, loves nature, hiking and swimming, and doesn't need TV to keep herself occupied. Are there any other hotel choices that would be more kid friendly in the areas we want to visit? <BR>Any comments on our itinerary, choice of hotels etc. will be very much appreciated. BTW, we stayed at Capitan Suizo and Xandari last year and loved them both.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Joni Ciarletta

You have seen my posts to know to STAY AWAY FROM VILLA CALETAS. But I also wanted to mention that when I went to Manuel Antonio, we drove by Si Como No and it appeared they were also renovating that hotel as well. Not to the extent of Villa Caletas but none-the-less, there seemed to be a lot of workers out and about. <BR> <BR>You might want to check out the Marriot Los Suenos, right down the road from Villa Caletas. It is a mega resort with lots of things to do so your daughter will stay very occupied. <BR> <BR>Also there is a place down by Manuel Antonio...I think it is called Parador? I can't remember the exact name now but it is a very nice, palacial hotel where a lot of dignitaries and such stay. Top end. <BR> <BR>Joni <BR>

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 04:25 PM
David

Joni...it is the El Parador (www.hotelparador.com). It is at the end of the road on Punta Quepos. Take a look: www.maqbeach.com for other possibles.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 04:47 PM
Parrot Mom

Near Tamarindo is the Melia Conchal and they are quite child friendly..even a program..lots of wildlife..highly recommend..

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Anna

We stayed at the Tobacon Lodge at the base of Arenal - lodging comfortable, but not much to do except the Hot Springs. Also stayed at Xandari, which has lots of hiking trails, waterfalls, and beautiful flowers. There are no TV's and the food is good. Very quiet and peaceful. Stayed at the Melia Playa Conchal near Tamarindo, but found them very pricey and their service poor. Food was VERY expensive ($15 per person for breakfast). They offer a lot of excursions, but you can get better deals just "outside the fence" with the locals.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 12:17 PM
jilla

I have stayed at the Arenal Lodge and liked it. It's a little camp bunkhouse-like which is fitting for the area. We went fishing on the lake and the restaurant at the hotel cooked up our fish - great experience. Highly recommend it. Also, if you want to see the waterfall (also highly recommend) you don't have to ride a horse for 1/2 day - take a taxi right to the park and just hike down the gorge. The people you pass on the horses will be jealous (and this coming from a horse person!). <BR> <BR>Also, I stayed at the Parador and loved it, everything about it. Would highly recommend getting a suite - it was gorgeous and so was the view. <BR> <BR>Have fun. <BR>Jill

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 03:45 AM
maggi

We stayed at Villa Caletas and Si Como No a few years ago and loved them both. In fact, Villa Caletas is where is escape to in my mind, when I need to escape for a few minutes. It is the most fabulous place we have ever stayed. In fact, our whole trip to CR is like that - puts a smile on my face every time. I do recommend Vista del Valle as a starting point. We stayed there at the beginning and end of our trip. They will pick you up from he airport, help you rent a car, take you to Arenal (don't miss spending a day at Tabacon) and in general help you plan your time there. I am still in touch with them after all this time.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 03:47 AM
maggi

PS, their website is www.vistadelvalle.com

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 07:08 AM
Hattie

Have you already decided to stay at lapa Rios. If so, it is an excellent choice. Ask for room three or four. Not as far of a hike uphill to the restaurant. Little pool is great. Food is always good and plenty of it! Arenal observatory, the new part, has shared ceiling. You can hear EVERYTHING going on in the next room and when your neighbor leaves their light on you can't see the volcano for the glare! If you have time take a river trip to Cano Negro. Try to track down a guy named Humberto in town to take you. He has his own little agency on the main street, but I've forgotten the name. Sorry.

Old May 5th, 2001, 11:18 AM
robbie felix

May I suggest you take a look at our webpage when thinking of Manuel Antonio? <BR>We are much smaller than SI Como No, buthave full amenities, every room has air conditioning, color cable tv, direct phones, etc. We have abar and restaurant and room service as well. And a 40 miles view of the Coast which can be enjoyed from the deluxe rooms or the pool, bar or restaurant. We only have 22 rooms so it is a much more personalized type of service. But we are perched on a hil behind Quespos, in Manuel Antonio and recently underwent a million dollar renovation. <BR>www.hotel-california.com .

Old May 6th, 2001, 07:03 AM
Larry

My wife and I were in Costa Rica for 14 days in February and stayed in the Manuel Antonio area for 5 days. We stayed at Si Como No for one night and, although it is a charming place, we thought it was too far from the park and beaches. The property is definitely very nice but pricy, and we didn't feel it was worth the cost unless you intend to just stay on the hotel grounds. It isn't a reasonable walking distance from the park or beach. I believe there are only 3 hotels with beach front at Manuel Antonio - we stayed in the Hotel Karahe, which is walking distance from the park entrance and has a great beach. If you do stay at Hotel Karahe, I would suggest getting a room at the lower complex with an ocean front view. The rooms in the villas are too far from the beach and a stiff climb up a steep hill. Lots of Capuchin and squirrel monkeys on the hotel property when we were there. <BR> Another place you might want to consider is Punta Leona, which is about 20 k north of Jaco. It is a nice property with a good beach. If you are in a car in that area, be sure to stop at the bridge over the Rio Tarcoles (north of Jaco) to see the crocodiles on the mud banks of the river. We counted 30, ranging from 6-7 ft. to 12-15 ft. in length. Also would suggest going to the Carara National Park near Punta Leona and ask the park ranger to contact "Freddie," a local Tico, to act as your guide for a hike in the jungle. Freddie's knowledge of the history, geology, and taxonomy of plant/wildlife in CR will add a lot to your experience of being there. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 30th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Ingrid

We stayed at Tabacon resort with our then 7 and 9-year olds and had a great time. Staying there allows you unlimited access to the hot springs, which are totally neat; there are different temperature pools, a pool with swim-up bar and tables/chairs in the water and a water slide, and a water fall behind which you can go. Our kids just loved it. The great advantage is that you can go when all the tourist hordes are gone. Also, breakfast was very delicious.(we'd also stayed one night at Las Cabanitas, which aren't that nice); however, they offered a great river float tour, which I highly recommend. Our tour guide pointed out lots of animals, which I'm sure we would have missed otherwise. You also stop by on a farm. This was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. If you need more advice, email me.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 03:26 PM
E

Arenal Observatory Lodge is nice, with gorgeous grounds and the closest views to the volcano. Have been there twice and would like to go back. Excellent for nature hikes, birding, or horseback trips. Also, I only recommend it because you will have a vehicle. The lodge is farther away from Fortuna and the hot springs than the other hotels and transport in and out is $15 each time, each direction. Doesn't give you a lot of options. However, with a car you can drive yourself to the hot springs or into town if you desire. My family loved the grounds and the oversized windows to view the volcano was awesome. Also, the guys in the restaurant are exceptional.