Search

going to Tamarindo-advise?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
going to Tamarindo-advise?

Hi All! My husband and I are going to Tamarindo in June. We need all the info we
can get. We want to do a jungle/canopy tour, is there any in this area? We are planning on staying at the Tamarindo Diria, any other suggestions? Is the water warm?
We are flying into Liberia at 6:30pm, can we get a taxi to take us to Tamarindo that late?

Thanks
Bree
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 06:16 AM

Contact Juan @
[email protected]
He charges a reasonable rate for pickup from Liberia airport.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 09:59 AM

We just returned from Playa Grande a few weeks ago & went on a wonderful day trip which included a canopy tour. It was the Buena Vista Combo Tour booked through J&C tours. Juan picked us up from our hotel at 8am & drove us up to the Buena Vista Lodge near Rincon de la Vieja. We did horseback riding, mud bath, hot springs, wonderful lunch, canopy tour & water slide. We returned back to our hotel at 6pm. I can't say enough great things about the tour itself & J&C tours. Their phone # is 506-670-1335 & web is jandctours.com. If you have any other questions just ask!
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 07:22 PM

Another thumbs up on the Combo Tour just mentioned. It was a blast for us as well. You'll love the Rincon de la Vieja area--just beautiful!
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 07:24 PM

Oops, posted too soon. Also, I wanted to mention to you Monkey Park, a rehab faciility between Huacas and Belen (near Tamarindo). Also, you might check out some of the beaches north of Tamarindo--Conchal, Brasilito, Flamingo, Potrero, to name a few. There is a great little restaurant in Brasilito--Camaron Dorado right on the beach. Very romantic! Have a great time!
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 07:30 PM

Do you have a email address for the Monkey Park? Also do you have a phone number for it? Do you get to hold baby monkeys at the Monkey Park? Do you need to make reservations or you can just show up? Thanks.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Original Poster

How much does the combo tours cost? it sounds like a blast Thanks for the info I will definately take your advice.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 03:00 AM

The combo tour cost $125 pp.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 08:40 AM

I hate to stir up a controversy, but is there any particular reason you are staying at the Diria?

That place just feels somehow 'sleazy' to me. Sort of like the place a somewhat down and out travelling salesman would frequent. The prostitutes in the bar were a part of it, although prostitution is perfectly legal in Costa Rica and there are plenty of them anywhere foreigners congregate.

Others have totally different feeling about this hotel but that is my impression.

cheers

Jerry
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 05:23 AM

We kind of felt the same way about the Diria. Have you looked at Capitan Suizo. I think you and your family would really like it there. Beautiful beach, but not right in the middle of all the action.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:32 AM

I just stayed at El Diria last week and would not recommend it at all. I'd definitely change to Capitan Suizo or Cala Luna if you can! Diria was the only disappointment of an otherwise wonderful Costa Rican vacation!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! I almost booked at the Diria, but didn't. I just liked the pictures. My mom has a time share at paradisis playa conchal, anybody heard anything about this place?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 07:43 AM

Bree-
Paradisius Playa Conchal is a beautiful place, but it is literally in the middle of nowhere. People love the resort or they hate it because of that fact. You will be confined to their restuarants because there really is nothing nearby. But, if you are looking for a place to just land for some time and just soak up the sun, that might be a great place for you. I personally would not stay there just because I like to get out to different restaurants, bars, etc. but have visited it and it is very pretty. I know lots of folks who have stayed there and most said it was very nice and the food was good. Others were more like me and got bored very quickly. Kinda depends on what you are looking for!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again I didn't realize that Paradisus playa conchal was in the middle of nowhere. We like to explore and go to different restaurants/bars. I have heard good things about capitan suizo and will research that. I want somewhere that is not all-inclusive.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 05:49 AM

I don't really think that Playa Conchal is in the middle of nowhere. It is gorgeous but expensive. We did not stay there but drove around and were very impressed. Just up the road north a few minutes is Braselito with a great little restaurant on the beach called Cameron Dorado. Also Braselito has a rodeo in the square almost every weekend. They are building a new subdivision across the street called Catalina Cove. Always fun to investigate new homes I think. Then there's Flamingo with a beautiful beach and a very cute, casual restaurant called Marie's....great for lunch. Go on to Portrero and check out Bahia Portrero restaurant and hotel right on the beach. Also in Portrero is an entire Italian community and a great pizza place called Marco's. From here you can take the dirt road up to Sugar Beach. That's where we stay and it is lovely...great food in the restaurant...and you don't need to stay here to eat in the restaurant. Just don't drive up there after dark. But the drive up and back in the daytime is well worth it for the views...bring your camera! From Portrero you can also take the "monkey road" up to Playa Coco. That is such a fun drive and Coco, although a tacky tourist town, is lots of fun to walk around and look in the shops. There is tons more to do in these areas and all of this can be done in one day or a few days. There is a canopy tour on the monkey road if you are looking for that. If you don't have your heart set on Diria I think you will like Capital Suizo in Tamirindo, Playa Paridisus Conchal ($$$$$) or even go to the Sugar Beach website to see what you think. Hope this helps!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

I just made reservations at Capitan Suizo. They only had standard room, no AC. We are going mid-June. Is having no AC going to be a big problem? Has anyone had problems with reservations here? They said I needed a fax machine.

Thanks,
Bree
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 06:04 AM

I have to admit that I couldn't handle the "no AC" situation. After a day in the heat I really enjoy an air conditioned room to shower, relax, get ready for dinner, and to sleep. It's not that I can't stand the heat, after all I'm a Miami girl, but those rooms don't get much of a breeze. It's a personal preference, of course. You might ask to be put on the list if they have a cancellation for an AC room. People do cancel and you might get lucky. Best wishes for a great trip.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 01:11 PM

My husband and I are going to the Paradissus in 4 weeks. I heard this week that it was under construction and wondered if anyone had been there recently to know what the noise level was like. I want to do the Buena Vista and Arenal tours from there that everyone is talking about but would like a nice pool and beach as well. My husband isn't as adventuresome as I am and I thought that if I couldn't convince him to go on the canopy tour that he could golf at the hotel. I have been reading all of your posts and they have been so helpful to date.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 03:53 PM

We had no problems with no air conditioning in a bungalow at Capitan Suizo. The ceiling fans really do keep it cool. I loved Playa Conchal--the beach doesn't have sand but shells instead, so pretty and you can snorkel there too. As far as Monkey Park, I did a search after I got back and they are not online. But you can stop there without reservations. No, you cannot hold a monkey but you can see lots of animals up close and it's obvious they are well treated as they rehab.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 06:16 PM

No way is Paradisus Playa Conchal in the middle of nowhere--totally agree with Cesca with Brasilito 2 minutes away (you could even walk there on the beach), Tamarindo 20 minutes away, and Playa Flamingo/Playa Potrero 15-20 minutes away. In Brasilito, you might also enjoy Restaurants Perro Plano and The Happy Snapper.

Last visited Monkey Park in June of 2004. We did hold baby monkeys and it was a thrill. Tiny little darling things that just clung to us. Perhaps that has changed? Lots of other animals there as well--cool place to visit.

Have a great trip! We'll be there in June as well, but probably won't make it over to that area until after the first of July. Buen Viaje!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -