Reload this Page >

going to PV for the first time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 09:26 AM
charly

Have been to other parts of Mexico. Looking for great eats and some non touristy places.Any ideas for a first timer in PV.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 05:44 PM
dan

Try www.vallarta-info.com

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 04:36 AM
loangalsal

My favorite PV site is:<BR><BR>http://todopuertovallarta.homestead.com/index.html<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Wilma

Get a hotel in the old town or near the town square, and explore from there. There are lots of big hotel-chain resort-type places lining the beach on the Bay of Banderas that seem terribly isolated to me. Every time I go to PV I thank my lucky stars I didn't get stuck in such a hotel because I would have missed the beauty of this marvelous city!!! For beaches, try Playa de las Muertos in old town or take a bus to Bucerias, Punta Minta or Sayulita. For restaurants, we like Pipi's and LOVE the street vendors.

Old Feb 25th, 2002, 02:54 AM
suzie

Wilma: Any ideas for a nice hotel downtown? We would like clean accommodations, nice view, walking distance, etc.

Old Feb 25th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Wilma

Suzie, we always stay in Vista del Sol, a condo. If you do a search on Vista Del Sol, you'll see lots of units available. Each one is individually owned. The building is on the beach and just steps away from the center of old town. It's also within easy walking distance of the main seaside boulevard, shopping and town square.<BR><BR>Our friends have stayed in Playa Los Arcos (www.playalosarcos.com) and liked it. Compared to a condo, the rooms seemed small but it was nice for a hotel and it's right on the beach in the middle of old town. <BR><BR>

Old Feb 27th, 2002, 10:39 PM
pvdeb

Suzie, I've stayed at the Playa Los Arcos everytime I've gone to PV and love it. It's right on Playa Los Muertos, the busiest beach in PV, fabulous for sunning and people-watching. There are many restaurants and bars right along the beach, wonderful for watching the sunset or just hanging out. The rooms are have rustic but comfortable furniture and most have balconies facing either the beautiful pool/courtyard area or the bay. The restaurant isn't all that great, but as a first timer, you need to go to as many restaurants outside the hotel as your time will allow. The above messages give my favorite sites for info and the www.todopv.com has an active bulletin board where you can get all kinds of great info and recommendations for hotels, restaurants and things to do. PV has a very strange charm about it...it will hook you in when you're least expecting it. Back to the hotel, it's within walking distance of many restaurants, clubs and shopping areas, near the bus routes and taxis are everywhere. I highly recommend it.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Brad

I just returned from PV.<BR><BR>I stayed at the Camino Real and I'd highly recommend it ... it's only a 5-10 minute drive from downtown, and the cab ride will cost you 29 pesos (just over $3). Cabs are readily available 24 hours a day. It has its own private beach and it has a beautiful setting. Great staff too. My only complaint was with the people who insist on saving chairs on the beach and chairs at the pool all day long.<BR><BR>As for restaurants, if you want outstanding and traditional Mexican food, try Las Cazuelas -- roughly $25-30 per person, but unbelievable -- best Mexican I have ever had.<BR><BR>Also, Red Cabbage Cafe is great and it's very inexpensive. You'd be well off to make reservations. For a special dinner, Cafe Des Artistes has great food and beautiful outdoor dining (pricy but worth it).<BR><BR>Another great place (and not very expensive) is La Palapa (right on the beach) -- they have great breakfast, lunch and dinner. Very nice presentations and although the prices were not real cheap, they're much lower than I'd expect given the food quality.<BR><BR>Others recommend Cafe De Olla but I thought it was lousy. Avoid Pippis too (comparable to Chi Chis here).<BR><BR>Overall, I was surprised how good the food was in PV.<BR><BR>I'd also recommend whale watching if you go before they're gone. And although downtown might be considered touristy, it's very interesting with some great small markets, and not Americanized (outside of the area around the Malecon).<BR>

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Susan

Subject: PV Hotels<BR>You can do a lot better than Playa Los Arcos! I'm not sure your budget. In the $50US range look at: Hotel Eloisa, Posada de Roger, Hotel Alegre, Posada Rio Cuale. Around $70US a lovely B&B style intimate place called Casa Andrea is my current favorite (rooms have patio kitchens). Around $100US Molino de Agua is a great property, very beautiful, two pools, on the beach. I've done maybe 15 vacations in the south, old town part of PV. Feel free to email if you have specific questions. Oh yes, you won't have any trouble finding places you like to eat once you're there.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Susan

re: PV hotels~ oops see email correction above

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 02:29 AM
suzie

Thanks Susan for your reply. Our budget is not too strict. I am looking for some diversity in our trip. We will be at the Westin for 7 days and for the remaining 3 days--we are looking for something different. Would you spend it in Old Vallarta? Or, would you travel somewhere else and spend a few days? Do any of the smaller places offer breakfasts? Why didn't you care for Los Arcos? Would you try someplace like Camino Real? Or, would someplace like Fiesta Americana be different?<BR><BR>I appreciate your response and experience with this.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 04:07 AM
loangalsal

Since you are staying at the Marina (Westin) the first 7 days, why not stay in town the last 3 days? Molina De Agua is a hotel right in the middle of town but still very quiet because it has lots of land (not a high-rise). They have cabanas, or if you can get one they have a few rooms right on the ocean. The Camino Real is a wonderful hotel also,it is south of town-a short cab ride from the city. The Camino is a "nicer" hotel than the Molina de Agua, but being right in town has its perks! Just a different experience between the two places.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Brad

I'd recommend Camino Real. This gives you perfect access to the old areas of PV while not having to stay right in town. You're only about a 5 minute drive to town (29 pesos for the cab ride which is about $3), and cabs are always waiting at the Camino Real. And let me say, the cab drivers are much nicer than the ones I'm used to in US cities. The beach is very nice, the scenery is beautiful and the staff very accomodating. I'd go back to Camino Real without question.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Susan

To Suzie From Susan~<BR><BR>Maybe during your first 7 days you can take a bus or a taxi into El Centro & the old town area and look around yourself. Then decide if you'd rather stay there the last 3 days or catch a bus to another town (going north Bucerias, Punta Mita, etc.). Breakfasts are inexpensive, delicious and plentiful, though not normally included in room prices. On Basilo Badillo try Memo's House of Pancakes, or a table on the patio at El Tucan. Both are delightful. I don't care for Los Arcos (never stayed there but talked w/ others who have & walked thru LOTS of times). To my view it was not as clean, not as pretty, not as friendly, not as personal as many of my other favorites. It's one redeeming factor is it is right ON the beach (not walking a few blocks from your hotel to get there). Camino Real and Fiesta Americana are just not my style, nothing personal to those who like that kind of thing, but too expensive and "normal" for my taste. I like good looking rooms, very clean, gorgeous gardens, but don't necessarily need a t.v. or air conditioning for example. I'd rather have an open air kitchen and ceiling fan with hummingbirds outside my window (Casa Andrea). Or the beautiful suites & pools at Molino de Agua. It's a personal preference, but since you asked... there it is! Enjoy!!<BR><BR>p.s. I spend 2 weeks, twice a year in Old Vallarta, so guess I'm not totally neutral on the subject!

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:04 PM
Jack

Just returned from PV - stayed at Playa Los Arcos - - would NOT recommend found it noisy and buggy.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 02:46 AM
pam

Susan--Can you tell me more about Molina and Andrea hotels? Thanks

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 10:13 AM
2 hotels

Molina de Agua is set in a beautiful old mango grove, it's a walled property, where the river meets the ocean, just over the southbound bridge at the end of the Malecon. It offers 3 types of rooms~ small cabins, ocean 'view' rooms, or ocean front (newest wing) suites. It is Mexican owned. The gardens are fantastic and well kept. There are two large pools. The restaurants are not the greatest (they change each year it seems), but you are right in the heart of town so that is not a problem. It is directly on the beach but you have to walk maybe 5 mins. south to get to the main local part of the beach called Playa Los Muertos. www.molinodeagua.com (this website does not come close to doing the property justice!)<BR><BR>Casa Andrea is only 10 units, intimate, quiet, lovely, peaceful. Very much like staying in a private home. Each room has a separate equipped kitchen on an open air patio. Rooms do NOT have telephone, television, or A/C. It is one block to the beach, off Olas Altas, in the far south part of town. Set among the common patio garden, it offers a small pool, coffee in the morning, coin op washer/dryer, library. www.casa-andrea.com

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Margo

Like you, we stayed at the Westin for 3 nights, then moved to Playa Los Arcos for our last 4 nights. Location was excellent - and the room was very basic. They have a lovely pool and access to a great stretch of beach and, the central location was great. From the Westin - it was not too easy to get back and forth to town so we basically did our relaxing there. Dinner at Garibaldi's (on-site) was wonderful, lovely and romantic. Some tips on things to do: 1) Tour the Richard Burton/Elizabeth Taylor home (now a B&B), Casa Kimberly 2) Go to La Jolla de Mismaloya and walk down the public entrance to the beach to see the John Huston restaurant, the view is magnificent (and this is where Night of the Iguana, Richard Burton & Ava Gardner) was filmed. 3) The Yelapa Tour -- fabulous, stops at one very private cove far south for snorkeling, then Yelapa - small village with waterfall in the jungle; 4) The Rhythm of the Night boat cruise -- a staged show and romantic dinner on the beach. Very lovely. ANOTHER TIP: When walking through the marina (very near the Westin) be on guard for timeshare-grabbers -- they are also all over in town. The seem to be very nice and friendly at first, but they have a "bottom line" agenda. Just say "no, gracias." Also visit www.visitmexico.com

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 06:16 PM
MARGO

JUST RETURNED FROM PV LAST NIGHT. WE STAYED AT THE CAMINO REAL. IT WAS AWESOME. ABOUT 5 MINTUES FROM DOWN TOWN. THE BEACH WAS PRIVATE, WITH A GREAT POOL AREA. WE ATE AT SOME REALLY GOOD RESTAURANTS. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE FOLLOWING: LA PALLAPA, LE BISTRO, CHEF ROGERS... JUST TO NAME A FEW. WE HAVE TRAVELLED ALOT, BUT HAVE FOUND THAT PV IS A FAVORITE.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 02:37 AM
dawn

Susan--<BR><BR>You seem to know about downtown spots. Do you know anything about Casa Corazon, Casa Amorita, or Qunita Maria Cortez? Or, does anyone know about these places?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -