getting food for corcovado in La Palma?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking into taking a transfer to La Palma the next morning after we fly in late. Is it possible to get food in la Palma before heading into Los Patos? We are planning to hike/camp in the park and need to stock up. However, our transit leaves early and we will not have time to shop before heading out.

Gracias!
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 01:24 PM

Haven't been there yet but:
1. I don't think there are as many Ticos on this board as on Tripadvisor nor as many backpackers as on Lonely Planet; you might want to post on those forums.
2. Lonely Planet says the answer to your question is yes. http://www.lonelyplanet.com/costa-ri...lma-and-around
3. The universal recommendation of those who've hiked to Sirena seems to be to sign up for meal service there, and that recommendation makes a whole lot of sense to me.
4. Your question isn't clear as to where you're flying into "late" before transferring to La Palma. If you mean SJO, you're going to need to spend another night before entering Corcovado, and I don't think camping's allowed at the relocated Los Patos station. See soldeosa.com's corcovadoguide.com. In that case you'll pass many places to stock up. If you mean Puerto Jimenez, couldn't you get supplies there in the evening or morning before heading to Los Patos?
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 06:23 PM

I can't offer info about La Palma, since we took a 5:30 a.m. truck/taxi from Puerto Jimenez to Los Patos, but you can certainly get provisions in PJ if you are going to be there first.

The link Tilted provided to Los Patos is outdated. The ranger station described and shown in the pictures is the old one, 2 km from the trailhead. That station has been abandoned and there's not much left of it. The new station is at the start of the trailhead (at the end of the access road from La Palma). To get there the truck had to ford the river 20 or so times. When I was at Los Patos in January it seemed like there were a few dorm-style rooms, but I'm not sure if those were for hikers or for staff. You have to sign in at the station before you can go on the trail. Saw some great birds (macaws, toucans) at the river as we started the hike. If it's been raining, be prepared for slippery red mud.
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 07:22 PM

Could the OP clarify where you are flying into late? Puerto Jimenez? San Jose? Are you meeting up with a guide?
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the update, aprillilacs - but I provided the link for its reference to a soda and pulperias in Las Palmas, and I can't tell whether you're saying that's outdated.

Also, a recent post on Lonely Planet refers to a new cabina near the new Los Patos entrance that I think has an association with El Remanso/Lapa Rios. Perhaps that's what you saw?
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 06:38 AM

Lol. What I saw was definitely the ranger station. We drove there with our guide in the taxi/truck, were dropped off, walked into the ranger station (it's slightly up a hill), looked around, used the bathroom, signed in, and headed off across the river and down the trail. The outdated parts of the otherwise very informative link are the pictures and description of the ranger station, as I mentioned. Note that I also said I couldn't offer info about La Palma.

I saw the Lapa Rios cabina on the way to Los Patos. It's fairly large and not that close to the entrance--it's along the road before you start the multiple crossings of the river.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 04:45 PM

Pardon my intrusion, but what's up with all the advice on several threads by those who have no experience on which to base their answers? Of course, the First Amendment should be alive and well on the Fodor's Forum, but I would think that most posters with questions would like to hear from someone who either: #1--has personal experience in the area OR #2--can refer the poster to someone who does.

Perhaps responses should include more emphasis on the disclaimer that tilted uses (but not often enough):

Haven't been there yet but:

BUT WHAT?
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 05:30 PM

But this is not the kind of question that's guaranteed to get useful responses if I don't post.
But I've read enough to know I have useful information to impart.
But the purpose of this forum is to aid travellers, and I believe I can further that purpose by posting information.
But if you don't make new voices feel welcome you wind up with forums that are just an insider club.
But my post above is still the only one on this thread that answer leads the OP to information on food vendors in Los Patos, which was their main question.
But "can refer the poster to someone who does" is exactly what I did, inasmuch as I assume the Lonely Planet guidebook to which I linked represents the LP author's personal experience.
But the provision of useful information based on research doesn't preclude, to the contrary invites, supplementation and correction based on personal experience.
But you haven't identified anything in what I posted that was inaccurate or unhelpful.
But that's just me.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 05:33 PM

Read "Los Patos" as "La Palma" in above.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the feedback and my apologizes for not being clear.

My intent was to get the food question answered for La Palma. We are flying into SJ and the only transit I can find leaves at 6 a.m. It does go all the way to PJ, but we were planning on just getting dropped off in La Palma. (Because we are planning to hike into Corcovado the next day.) I guess we really only need in-between meals if we get food in Sirena. Do you think it would be more beneficial to go to PJ first and then just head back to La Palma. How long does it take to get back to La Palma and anyone know about costs.

Thanks for all the help.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 06:02 PM

I do have information. But according to shillmac, I shouldn't provide it, so why don't you Private Message her. If she doesn't answer your question, PM me.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 06:14 PM

On reflection, shillmac's objection to my being heard rather than (un)seen can go take its own hike. I'd suggest some combination of the following.

1. Contact the transit to find out where they stop along the way; odds are high they stop in places where you can purchase food.
2. Pick up hike-hardy food in Alajuela or San Jose, or wherever it is you're staying there the night your flight arrives.
3. Presumably you're either retaining a guide for Corcovado(which is widely recommended) or obtaining the required park entry reservations through soldeosa.com = Paul Collar. Either one should be able to give you specifics on food outlets in La Palma.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 06:23 PM

penguino I wouldn't head to PJ and then backtrack, run you about $40 give or take, I have some cards from a couple drivers I've used in the area you could get a quote from (if I can find them!) but I think you'd be better off staying in La Palma. It's a blink & miss it kind of place but pretty sure I remember a couple pulperias. Won't have the selection of Super 96 or BM in PJ but doesn't sound like you'll need all that much food.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 06:29 PM

penguino, if you decide to go to Puerto Jimenez you can stay there very cheaply in one of the no-frills inns in town. You can arrange a taxi/truck in Puerto Jimenez for early the next morning--it's less than two hours from PJ to Los Patos. We paid $55 each for a full-day guided hiking trip that included the guide and round-trip transportation in a taxi/truck between PJ and Los Patos (plus $10 each for the park entrance), so cost of just transportation should be pretty reasonable. If you do get dropped off in La Palma (instead of going to PJ), you're going to need to find a way to get to Los Patos from La Palma--it's a long way and would take hours to walk--though maybe that's your intention?
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 06:32 PM

Just make sure you reserve park admission and Sirena meals and lodging in advance -- reservation window opens 30 days ahead of entry I'VE READ.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 06:46 PM

Oh, and Danta Lodge would provide food, overnight accomodations near La Palma, and horseback access to Los Patos -- I'VE READ. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...untarenas.html
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 04:21 AM

penguino, I'd be glad for you to e-mail me, even, at this address: [email protected]

Obviously, you have posted about an area with which few of us have a great deal of experience. We have spent considerable time on the Osa, but not Los Patos area.

HOWEVER, we can put you in touch by e-mail with people who can speak directly to you about the things you would like to know. Links aren't always current and sometimes provide outdated or incorrect information. Those of us who have traveled in Costa Rica (or any place for that matter) have encountered that issue. I would be glad to help you in this regard.

tilted, thank you, I will be taking several hikes, both in March and again during the months of June and July. Looking forward in particular to my hiking at Bosque del Cabo!

Make no mistake--Fodor's is a website that is welcoming to new posters, the more the merrier. Arrogance doesn't fly well anywhere. . .Fodor's, TripAdvisor, Thorn Tree, the mall. . . .
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful feedback and advice. We are now thinking of heading to PJ. (We read one guy said he left his "big bag" at a hotel so he could travel even lighter for the trek in Corcovado--we'll be looking into this option.) Any recommendations on places to stay in PJ or Carate? We are still looking to hike Los Platos-Sirena-La Lleona hike. Any one able to store a pack in PJ? Also any more info on getting to Los Platos from PJ early for the hike in to Corcovado? Muchas Gracias--you guys are awesome and very welcoming. I'm promising to do a trip a report!
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 03:50 AM

Penguino if you're looking at PJ, check out Cabinas Jimenez. Chris and Juan Carlos run a nice little place right on the water with a wide variety of room types and prices. If you want a great patio looking out over the water, go for #1 or #10. I am sure it would not be a problem to store a bag for you. Right off the "main street" in PJ, good restaurants all within a few minutes walk, real cheap laundry lady nearby and (if you were to use it) the colectivo pickup place is close as well.

In Carate, there is Lookout Inn, may be a little more than you want to pay though for a quick overnight. Actually in Carate I'd walk the additional 30 minutes on the beach (a cart will take your bags) to La Leona Lodge - great place! A common place for backpackers into the park to stay and they as well have a few different levels of tents/prices depending on if you want an ocean view, a private bathroom, etc.

I have a card for a great driver, will try to remember when I get home later from work to track it down. He took me all the way to the end of the beach access road in Matapalo (horrible road!) with ease, nice guy and fair on the price. Also, Juan Carlos at Cabinas Jimenez had a little black book he is always willing to whip out and place a call for whatever you need.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 03:57 AM

Cabinas Jimenez in Puerto Jimenez.

You are right--it is great to store luggage and lighten your load. I don't know how one would hike Corcovado otherwise.

We stayed one night in Carate (Hotel Finca Exotica), hiked 12 miles to Sirena, stay 2 nights there, and hiked out. Of course there were people coming in from Los Patos, heading out to Los Patos from Sirena. We didn't do that, just hiked back to Carate and spent another night at Exotica. It was awesome, though. Of course, we passed La Leona both ways. .that is where we signed in as park visitors.

We were surprised to realize that Sirena was so close to the beach, guess I hadn't done my homework adequately. Almost the entire hike was on the beach, which is a bit difficult, especially with the slope of the beach. I think I would've preferred the jungle hiking into Los Patos more! Or maybe not--it was a fabulous experience.

We made our arrangements through the hotel in Carate--they provided the guide. Contact Cabinas Jimenez and they will have the accurate information that you need and will be able to assist you in getting to Los Patos.

Yes, DO post a report--I hope you see lots of good stuff! Enjoy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -