Reload this Page >

fun eating and or drinking places puerto vallarta

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 12:50 PM
MissVicki

Hey we are 4 young at heart 40ish women spending a week in June in PV we want to know the fun places to go we do not want expensive fuffy places. We want fun outdoor restaurants to sip margi's and people watch and fun dance or music places at night where we won't feel like the oldies!but will feel safe. Thanks for any and all info

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 01:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Head down to Playa Los Muertos beach on the southside of town. All along the boardwalk there are loads of fun places just off the sand. C&C is a favorite.

There many bars along The Malecon in El Centro also but they tend to be more expensive.

PV has a good mix of ages generally speaking, it's not a 20-something only kind of city.

All the usual suspects are available as well like Hard Rock Cafe, Senor Frog, Carlos O'Brien, etc.

Cactus (southside) and Christine's at the Krystal (Marina) are two discos.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ah suze, i love reading your relies. always excellent info. fun places oh yes the southside has lots. is also known as gay vallarta. btw, dacquiri dicks and la palapa are well liked as well.
youre sure to have a great time. from old town south to cuale island and then on south to area east of los muertos.
go ahead and do a search - my fave engine is dogpile.com - for restaurant reviews. you'll find more than enough to choose from in pv
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 04:14 PM

Ah gee thanks, back at you Seldomred, because it's nice to have another fan of PV posting here.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 05:55 AM

I wouldn't call Cactus II a disco (there was one called Cactus, but it closed a couple of years ago)
Cactus II is a funky bar with pool tables and live music on weekends.
Also check out Que?Pasa, a 'Cheers' type bar with live music several nights a week.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 07:57 AM

ohya baby im nuts about pv... thnx suze... i just thot of another spot for drinks and people watching: 'la dolce vita' overlooking the malecon -> and do try to get seated upstairs by the railing xo
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the update, I knew Cactus had closed (at the end of Vallarta past Basilo Badillo) but thought it had re-opened. Is Cactus II in that same building?

Obviously nightlife in PV is not my best subject, so thanks all for the help!!

Andale's on Olas Altas is another that is often mentioned but go with warning that it's a sing-along ride the donkey kind of a bar!
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Cactus II is on the corner of Lazaro Cardenas and I. Vallarta.
Que?Pasa is upstairs from the Santa Barbara theater on Olas Altas.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 02:13 PM

We found Pipi's to be a fun, noisy place for Mexican food. It has huge Margaritas and great guacomole made fresh at your table.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 09:37 AM
MissVicki

Thanks everybody . I had heard somebody talk about the donkey one but didn't know where it was What a hoot! Keep those tips coming
Vicki

Old Nov 12th, 2005, 09:47 AM

Suze, you post too much about PV. (Can you tell I've been reading some recent posts on the "News and Announcemnt Forum?)
Seriously, what is meant by the donkey ride bar? You know when someone like me, who hasn't yet been to PV, hears "donkey" and "bar" in the same sentence, it brings some strange scenes to mind.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 07:52 AM

CaliNurse, honestly I have never stepped foot in Andale's because it is one of those old school bars that looks like everyone's been propped up there for a decade or so and is a little scary looking to my tastes (and i do love my cocktails).

OK, so rumor has it something about riding a donkey thru the place and an everybody-sing-along kind of drunken entertainment. People who like that kind of thing say it's big FUN (while I have my doubts) so I feel obliged to include it when people of a mid-age are asking about fun nightlife in PV.

But do not fear, it's not the Tijuana kind of donkey act you may have imagined! AND someone said they aren't doing that at Andale's lately, so please don't blame me if nobody comes riding thru!!!

Old Nov 13th, 2005, 12:14 PM

Well, suze, they are still riding the donkey thru Andales. I just returned Tues (after a fabulous week). I didn't visit Andales, but it was across from my hotel,Playa los Arcos, which I loved by the way. There always seems to be music of various sorts at many places (even Country at C&C's one night).

Thanks to your tips and those from others, I merrily ate and drank my week away! Oh, how I miss those Mango Margueritas at 5:30pm!
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 06:28 AM

hola baglady, welcome home and thanks for the nice post. in a crazy way i'm glad to hear SOMEone's still ridin' the donkey -LOL.

mango margaritas... i got one by mistake first day of one of my trips, and that was my cocktail of choice the rest of the stay (good for breakfast too!).

glad you had a fabulous time and enjoyed Hotel Playa Los Arcos, it sure is a beautiful setting and great location. and that you went to C&C (somewhere in trip notes i wrote down the two full names and what they mean in Spanish, and if i can ever find it, i'll post).

Hasta
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 05:34 AM

Suze.
Cuates y Cuetes
Roughly translates to
Buddies and Tipplers
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 05:44 AM

thank you bburpi. i appreciate the full name and will jot it down. over a drink there, i was wondering aloud about it and a young woman from the family that owns the place was happy to give me a more involved definition about old friends, dear friends, those with a special place in your heart, etc. in a typically romantic Mexican way. very sweet although i think your definition more accurately describes C&C -LOL. For MissVicki, it's a great spot on Playa Los Muertos, don't miss it as I'm thinking it's just what you're after.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 01:48 PM
MissVicki

Thanks guys Are there anyplaces we should NOT go to? Any places not safe?
We do not have the budget to go to high price plus being 3 women we are there for fun not romance.Just want to have good fun food and drinks plus conversation thanks again keep them comin!

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 04:03 PM

well i wouldn't get too drunk at a nightclub or stroll down the deserted beach at midnight alone -LOL, short of that:

i have always felt completely safe in any part of Puerto Vallarta. if there was danger i'd worry more from drunken fellow tourists behaving badly then from anyone local bothering you.

the other "danger" i like to mention is the cobblestone streets, high curbs, uneven pavement, guidewires, light poles, etc. be careful where you walk (you see people every year in casts and bandages).

also be careful with traffic. cars and busses drive kind of fast and crazy and pedestrians do not necessarily have the right-of-way.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Also be careful if you swim out in the ocean. There are times there can be a strong undercurrent which could be a problem if you are not a skilled swimmer.
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 06:30 PM

Ok Suze, read you're post about mango margarita. We are going to PV on Wednesday (11/23)with another family. My girlfriend and I have had a tradition of drinking margaritas on vacation (regular one in the summer and cranberry at Xmas). We would like to try mango and expand our horizons!!! We get an afternoon off while the dads take the kids!!! Where do we score mango margaritas?

Thanks,
Teener

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -