Search

Multi-generational CR Trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2004, 01:56 PM
lvk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multi-generational CR Trip

My husband and I are planning to visit CR for a week in August with our 9 and 11 year old children and my 70 year old mother-in-law. Given the large group, we don't want to move around too much, probably 2 destinations, max. After doing a little research, our plan, so far, is:

Land in San Jose (probably stay overnight depending on time flight lands)
3 days at Arenal, taking in hot springs, horseback riding, canopy tour.
3 days at Samara Beach (only because a friend recommended Villas Playa Samara)for R&R, kayaking, etc.
Back to San Jose for the flight home.

Any general suggestions would be appreciated. My specific questions are:

1. Rent a 4WD or go the bus/transfer route? With 5 people and our luggage, I'm thinking a car would be more convenient, but am worried about road conditions and the lack of signage I keep reading about.
2. If transfer, should we use Interbus or Grayline? Any others? Are the schedules pretty convenient?
3. Would you recommend Manuel Antonio instead of Samara or other Guanacaste Beaches?
4. I gather from the postings I read that Arenal Paraiso is better than Tabacon?
5. Any other Condo/Cabin type accomodations I should know about.
6. How far in advance should I book my August trip. (I'm thinking right away).

I'll post more questions if I think of them. Thanks for your help.

Old Feb 27th, 2004, 02:45 PM

Dear Ivk,
First of all - congrats! You will have a great trip!
now regarding your questions:
1+2. Since you are 5 people, and you are only going to a couple of places, I would recommend using a private transfer service. That means that someone will pick you up from wherever you want, whenever you want, and drop you off, wherever you want. The regular shuttle services cost $25-30 per person, and the private shuttle service will cost you the same or just a little bit more (the cost is for the ride, not number of passangers), but will be much more convenient. In the location of your choice you should have no problem using local (cheap) taxis.
3. If you got a personal recommendation I see no reason why you shouldn't go for Smara. I am personally a huge fan of Manuel Antonio and the national park there, and there is plenty to do (for all generations!), but I am sure you will enjoy Samara as well (haven't been there in a while).
4. The thing with Tabacon is that they are the most famous and the most expensive in the area, but I have personally (and on the forum), heard a lot of complaints about them, mainly regarding bad smell in the rooms, and so-so service. Arenal Paraiso, is much more reasonably priced, and is just very good.
5. Where exactly?
6. I don't think you should book it now, but as soon as you are ready and sure about what you want, you should. There is really very little to lose, the hotels only ask for your CC to guarantee the room, they won't charge you until you get there.
Feel free to write me directly if you have any more questions.
Pura vida,
Neta Talmor
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 03:24 PM
lvk
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your prompt reply, Neta.

As for #5, I was asking if there were any 2-3 bedroom condo/bungalow accomodations you would recommend in Arenal, Samara, or Manuel Antonio. I find it's always easier, when traveling with kids, to have a little kitchen for keeping/making breakfasts, snacks, etc.

Also, do you have any name recommendations for the private shuttles?

Should I book everything myself or thru a travel agent?

I sent an email request thru a website called vacationscostarica.com. Do you know anything about them or any other reputable company?

Again, thanks for all of your help.

Linda
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 05:35 AM

Dear Linda
In Arenal, I know that Los Lagos, have some rooms with kitchenette. I personally think Los Lagos can be a good option for your family - it is not very fancy (although they now how a new section, so if you choose them, make sure to ask for a room in this section), but very good, clean, and with excellent views of the volcano (if you are lucky!). Los Lagos is also a lot of fun for kids, with water slides and a crocodile park. The hot Jacuzzi and pool are also great. They are very reasonably priced.
In Manuel Antonio, I don't know what you budget is, but Tulemar is excellent, and beautiful and great for families, because they are Bungalow style with 2 rooms, kitchenette and more.
If you contact me directly I will help you with all the reservations and I can probably get you a discount with both hotels ;-)
Regarding transportation, I have recently contacted a transfer company called Costa Rica transfers (www.costaricatransfers.com), and although I haven't used their service yet (but I will this week), they have made an excellent impression on me - professional and honest. I will let you know what I think of their service by the end of the week.
It is funny you ask about www.vacationscostarica.com, I actually know the people there very well, and they are all great! If you sent to [email protected] it will get to Carrie, who is the sales manager, and she will take good care of you.
Feel free to write me directly for anything else.
Pura Vida,
Neta Talmor
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 03:42 PM
lvk
Original Poster

Thanks Again for the great information. We're a little nervous about paying for the whole trip 5 months in advance, so we'll try to forego the travel agent and reserve everything ourselves.
Also, I looked up the Tulemar on the internet. It looks beautiful. Thanks for the suggestion. However, my husband thinks his mother will need the comfort of the Marriott after her adventures at Arenal. She's willing to try the zip-line, horseback riding and some type of rafting trip. (He probably wants to try out the golf course too!)

My new questions are:
Day trip(s) from Los Suenos to MA. Should we rent a car or opt for a hotel or other tour? We're more independent-type travelers and don't really go for the organized tours too much. Do you think we need a guide? How long/challenging a drive will it be? Any other suggestions for what to do in the Jaco, or MA area?

From what I hear, Jaco is very touristy?
Also, my 11 year old daughter is dying to know. Will she be able to get her hair braided with beads?? Such an important consideration!

Also, please keep us posted on Costa Rica Transfers. I read alot about people hiring "private drivers". Is this what they are talking about?, or is it something different? Again, since we're 5 people and luggage, we will need a large vehicle.

Thanks so much.
Linda
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 04:30 PM

Dear Linda,
I have good news - Costa Rica transfers picked up my mother and aunt yesterday at the airport and everything went smoothly. The driver waited for them with a sign (even though the flight arrived 20 minutes early), he spoke some English, and he drove them safely to our place, although he has never been here. I made the reservations and paid in advance, and received a confirmation by fax. Everything was very professional. I will definitely work with them more.
I think this is your best, and cheapest solution for the day trips you want to take. Just arrange (I will galdly help you), a driver (i.e private transfer) to pick you up from Los Suenos and take you to MA. There is no need to take a "tour" which will be much much more expensive (since you are 5 people!) and it will be more independent, like you prefer. You can arrange for more trips from the hotel (like Carara Biological Reserve, the crocodile bridge and even Jaco, which your kids may find interesting for a short visit). I am sure the hotel can arrange for these kind of "private" trips as well, but I am also almost certain they will be more expensive...
About getting the hair braided... I have only seen them do it on the Caribbean side, but maybe, just maybe, there will be someone who offers this service in Jaco. No promises.
Linda, again, feel free to write me directly, I can help you make reservations and I can usually get a discount in some of the hotels.
Pura Vida,
Neta Talmor
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 05:01 PM

I've seen hair braiding on the Pacific side, but it was at Playa Conchal. You might ask around. . .good luck. . of COURSE this is important! Gotta have some kind of tropical look going on when she returns to her friends!
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 06:19 PM

I would like to give you the name of the driver/guide that we use. He has become a good friend as well as our driver while in CR.
His name is Orlando Vargas and is in his mid 30's. He has two darling children and a sweet wife.
He worked for several tour companies before starting up his own business and is now a full travel agent in CR.
He has a van that holds 15 people so 5+ luggage would be no problem. He speaks fluent english.
He can be reached at [email protected]
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:02 AM
lvk
Original Poster

Thanks again. About Orlando (or any other guide)--how does this exactly work? He picks us up from the airport and stays with us all 8 days? (when does he get to see his wife and kids?) How much does a service like this cost approximately?
Excuse my ignorance. This seems like a great way to go. A friend's mother hired a private guide for a few days and said it was the best move she could have made.
Thanks again.
Linda
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:45 AM

Dear Linda,
Depending on where you are going, and how long you will stay in each place, and how far it is from the driver's origin (usually SJ), you may have the driver just drop you off and pick you up a few days later from each destination. Or, you may stay in one place, close to SJ, and he will pick you up in the morning and drop you off at night. Or, for some places, he may join you and stay overnight with you (many times, the hotels have a special free room for drivers, at least in Arenal they do). It can really go any way you want! At the end, it is a matter of your likes and dislikes, and budget. I would say that with your suggested itinerary you should probably hire the driver to pick you up and drop you off at your destination (from/to airport, Arenal, the beach etc), and perhaps have him come a couple more days just to take you on day trips from Los Suenos (to MA, Carara etc). This should cost, I estimate, around $400-600 and it will be as hassle free as it can get. An organized tour usually costs around $75 a day, so between the 5 of you, the option of a private transfer is not only logical, but will also save you money.
Good luck!
Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Pura Vida,
Neta Talmor
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 02:35 AM

Hello,
I see in post above that you are considering Manuel Antonio as a possible destination as well. I think you would enjoy it, but if you do come since you have your mother in law along, I would suggest a stay in villas nicolas, heres the link to thier site.
http://www.villasnicolas.com/
I would try to get number 8 upper and lower, or number 11 upper and lower for your group (only 2 stairs from street level to the lower of your units. Plus they have a nice grounds area, and incredible views. If you fall in love with the place and want a great investment property, check out our condo project here: www.valle-escondido.com
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 12:25 PM

He is waiting at the airport when we arrive. The first year he had a sign with our name for us to find. He gets the flight info so he can check to see if we going to be early or late. We just love the ease of traveling with Orlando. Sometimes he doesn't get to see his wife and kids much so this year we stayed at his house with him for a night! He actually left us a day early to get his van back to San Jose to pick us up again at the airport (we were flying in from Nicaragua). Long story. He and his whole family (mother in law and his father + wife and kids) had fresh flowers all over the house and a wonderful meal ready for us.
Our trips with him have been way cheaper than with any other tour company or even traveling on our own. He generally will sleep nearby in a less expensive place if it is available. Some of the lodges have a place for drivers/guides to sleep for free. We love having him available whenever we want and because he had been a guide for the tour companies he knows lots of little out of the way things to see.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 07:31 PM

My husband and I spent a week Samara in Feb 2003. We loved it; however, it was very different from Manuel Antonio.

There were several restaurants right on the beach. The "town" felt very Costa Rican and did not have many American tourists. The restaurants are very reasonable and many are very inexpensive. It is a great place for "r & r".

We went to Manuel Antonio about 7 years ago. We really enjoyed it but we are going back this June with our 4 and 7 year old and are going to Samara and maybe Playa Hermosa(Guanacaste). I think Manuel Antonio is more money and it is more of a tourist destination. I am sure you will be happy at either place but it depends what you are looking for.

I have a question for you. What do you know about Villas Playa Samara? We are thinking about staying there but we did not see them when we were there (we didn't have a car). We have seen their website and it looks like it would be good with kids. Any info you (or anyone else) have would be greatly appreciated.

If you have more questions, let me know. Have a great trip!
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 08:12 AM
lvk
Original Poster

I have a friend who stayed at Villas Playa Samara a couple of years ago. It was on a timeshare exchange. She liked having the kitchen, and said it would be great for families. Also, she liked the privacy of the separate villas.

She is also an ocean kayaker, and that's what she did practically every day. She was looking for R&R, so I do not think she took any tours or ay trips, so I am not sure how far it is from these type of activities.

Hope this helps.