Costa Rica Trip Iteniary

Old Apr 16th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica Trip Iteniary

Going to CR for about 9 days with 2 kids age 9. Thinking about renting auto in SJ and driving first to Monteverde area for about 2 nights; next to Guanacaste area for about 2-3 nights; then down to Manuel Antonio area for about 3 nights. Is this too much traveling and is it worth it to rent auto? Any other suggestions appreciated (hotels, tours, day trips). Will be first trip to CR and dont speak spanish.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 01:17 PM

Last year, our first trip to CR, we drove from San Jose to the Pacific Coast and back. No problems, just obey the speed limits -- lots of police looking to issue citations. Also beware crossing smaller rivers on side roads in the rainy season -- we submerged the hood on our Mitsubishi, but came out OK. Just get in the car and go! It's the way to best experience the Country.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 01:58 PM

Depends where in Guanacaste you plan on staying, northern or central. I would do the Guanacaste first then over to Monteverde. There are private bus lines that will take you from place to place but it depends on how adventurous you are. See these web sites for bus lines -
Fantasy Bus - http://www.graylinecostarica.com/fantasy_bus.html
Interbus-http://www.interbusonline.com/
Hotel Calfornia is a nice place in Manuel Antonio - http://www.hotel-california.com/ ask for Robbie
In Playa Hermosa you can try La Finesterra - http://www.finisterra.net/
or Villa del Sueno - http://www.costa-rica-hotels-vacation.com/ Both very nice places with good food and easy access to the beach ( safe , no rips)
If you do rent a car, please, do not ever leave it unattended for even one minute with anything of value inside. I just received 2 emails from people visiting Manuel Antonio that went to the beach for a quick look only to return to everything being stolen.
Have fun.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 04:44 PM

You could consider a couple of days in the Arenal area. The kids might like Los Lagos. I know mom and dad would love Tabacon. You would all enjoy seeing the volcano. There are all sorts of things to do there. From there you could take a horseback trip to Monteverde for a couple of days and then on to your next adventure. The Guanacaste area will add a lot of travel time although with the new bridge open you might have more options for the Nicoya area that won't take as much time. It will still be slow going as the roads around there aren't the best. You could arrange for private transports between places (approx $99-120 per van trip) which would end up costing just as much as a private bus for 4 people but would be much more convenient. There would be days you wouldn't need much in the way of transportation and taxis are cheap if you want to venture out. You can even hire taxis for the day if you want. IMO, with the kids, I would consider just going to Arenal and Monteverde and then to Manuel Antonio. Lots and lots to do in MA for adults and kids. They will love the monkeys. I think you would feel very rushed trying to do all of the things you were thinking of. I can give you the name of a travel agent who works only for hotel commission so there would be no extra charges. He can make your hotel reservations and also make the transportation arrangements for you. I know of several people who have used him and were very satisfied with his help. He can also give you advice on different hotels. If you want his name you can email me at [email protected]. Put Costa Rica in the subject.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 08:30 PM

http://www.speakeasy.org/~zebratoo/costarica/index.htm

I highly recommend Hotel La Finisterra.
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 10:31 AM

Suzie2,
Could you tell me more about Tabacon? Are the rooms nice and how many nights would you suggest to stay? I was thinking that it would be a nice stop after arriving in San Jose and before traveling to Malpias. Would it make a nice place to spend Christmas Eve and day?

Also, what is the new bridge? Would that be along our route?

Thank You,
Gem
Old May 2nd, 2003, 11:20 PM

We did a great 2 hour horseback ride with Sabine's Smiling Horses in mid April in the mountains of Monteverde. Her horses were well trained, well cared for and the views were absolutely stunning. My daughters (10 & 12) rode for the first time on very gentle horses. Lovely! Your itinerary looks great, go for it.
Old May 5th, 2003, 09:00 PM

It would be a lovely place to stay Christmas eve but you might find it already booked up. Many of the more popular places book up early. You could also look into Arenal Paraiso, Montana del Fuego, and Los Lagos for that area if they are booked up. They are all on the same road.