Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Florist(and gardening nut!) going to CR What are the must sees in flora attractions?

Search

Florist(and gardening nut!) going to CR What are the must sees in flora attractions?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to CR in Feb/06. Anything to do with flowers and growing interests me. Thanks to this site I know I will check out Doka (not Britt!) coffee plantation.

Has anyone gone to: Villa Vanilla Spice Farm(near Quepos) or
Pura Vida Gardens and Waterfalls(near Jaco)?

I would love to see a flower farm ( I know a lot of the flowers we get at the flower shop are from CR) but have not heard of any open to the public.

We will be in CR for 10 days staying at Orquidos Inn,San Jose; Arenal Paraiso,Arenal; la Finca Que Ama, central valley; and Costa Verde, Manuel Antonio. Any suggestions for those areas would be greatly appreciated.

Old Jun 12th, 2005, 06:35 AM

Moon speaks highly of Bosque De Paz, a private reserve
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 08:04 AM

There are nice botanical gardens near San Jose/Cartago (east/south). I'm blanking on the name. Many, many orchids - perhaps they'll be blooming in Feb.? We were there in late May last year, not many blooming then.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi Glover

Were those gardens near San Jose/Cartago called Lankaster Gardens? I've seen them listed in a few tour books.

Thanks Greenfieldhunter-I checked out the website for Bosque de Paz and it does look interesting.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 05:07 PM

You will be in flora and fauna natural glory in M.A. , it is vegetation gone amok , foilage on steroids !!!!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Lankester Gardens near Cartago are definitely worth a visit. A great variety of tropical species grow there.

La Paz Waterfall Gardens at Peace Lodge are not as varied but are beautiful and certainly worth visiting.

Both of these also attract butterflies and birds.

Many of the lodges have extensive gardens around them.....and the wild areas of Costa Rica have diverse plant life almost beyond belief in some cases.

cheers

Jerry
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 08:52 PM

Although beautiful flowers abound all over, we thought the ones grown in the cloud forest area of San Gerardo de Dota particularly beautiful--calla lilies, hydrangea (biggest blooms I've ever seen!), etc. Savegre Mountain Lodge. . . .south of San Jose, this is an especially beautiful area.