Search

Floods in so.caribe

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floods in so.caribe

We were planning on staying in Cahuita & Puerto Viego during our stay in the first half of March. Does anyone know if this will work or have the floods made this a bad idea?
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 04:02 AM

It all depends on whether they get more heavy rain, doing further damage or hampering repair of bridges and highways. So many people lost their homes--it's been a small scale disaster. And I'm sure it doesn't seem small scale to those who live there. However it does happen with some frequency. December and January are very rainy months for this part of Costa Rica. There were problems in December as well. Not only this past December, but in recent years.

It is for sure their economony has and will suffer and they need tourists to kick it back up. That's 2 months down the road. I'd go ahead with the reservation if I were you, but be in contact with someone there who can advise you as to progress in the area.

Neta is the best person I can think of to do this. She used to voluntarily help people on this board and is very thorough and efficient. She owns a hotel and is in easy contact with other hotel owners on that side. They will know the scoop at any given time because it involves their livelihood.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 04:02 AM

You might need an address! [email protected]
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 09:51 AM

I would try to get in touch with the hotel you have reservations with or hope to stay with. I would give them a couple of weeks though to sort things out. It is possible they have an office in another place that they use for email. We were planning on being in that area in about 3 weeks and have already sent out an email to the Lodge. It is further inland but there is water nearby. I am most worried about mosquitos now.

They do seem to get flooded out with some regularity so there may be some places up and running again by March.

Good Luck with your trip and just remember, there are lots of other options. We have been going every year for many years and aren't too worried. Plan B is already being drawn up. It is hard to find a "bad" place to go.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 12:54 PM

Geez, I must be out of touch. I didn't know there had been any flooding in that aera! We stayed at a nice little B&B in Puerto Viejo last summer. I'm sure they could tell you the current situation if you send them in e-mail. They have a nice place with really reasonable prices too. The man's name is doug and here is his e-mail address http://www.c-rica.com/bb.htm.