Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

First Vacation in Mexico - Itinerary Suggestion?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey folks

I like to take a one week vacation in December to Mexico with my son ( we live in San Francisco area). I have only been to Mexico very briefly once and I know very little about the country and the good places to visit. I like to visit a few cities which could include some historic places, like San Miguel, and more fun places and beaches. I want to avoid the overcrowded, over-touristy places. I was thinking of Puerta Vallarta. Any suggestions on what a good itinerary could look like. I like to visit a few cities rather than spend a lot of time in one or two areas to really explore them (which I know is the right way to do this, but my son’ travel requirements are different). We are somewhat open for duration – it could be a few days more, if needed.

Thanks much in advance for your suggestions.

Safa
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 02:36 PM

You might consider Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa a truly lovely beach area with the added bonus of being but 4 hours Via bus from some fine colonial cities. These include Morelia, Patzcuaro & Uruapan. All with many attractions including Pyramids, lovely national parks, magnificent cathedrals, historic plazas, arts & crafts. If interested e-mail me at [email protected] for detailed info.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 07:13 AM

Wife and I just returned from PV. Last year Cabo. NO MORE MEX! Stongly recommend against it. Like living amongst thieves, extremely poor and wonderfully humble servant/slaves and the super-wealthy! The contrast is just too much. We felt threatened by crazy drivers. Time-Share hawkers would pull us in from the street as we walked by. All-in-all - Mexico is not a relaxing experience. Plus, the sight of hugely overweight American and Canadian smoker/eaters lying like beached whales around hotel pools is truly disgusting. Add to all this - Don't swim in the ocean - it is polluted - might contract Hep B!

No wonder the people are fleeing over the border to the US! And you want to go on Vacation there??

Maui is the place. Stop at Costco on the way from the Airport, go to Condo, jump in wonderful, warm and clean Pacific - No Time-Share salesmen! What could be better?
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 09:04 AM

wow, I strongly disagree with Tinderbox. I love so many things about Mexico I don't have time to go into it here. But just wanted to say that most visitors to Mex. don't feel that way.
However, if you want homogenized perfection, maybe it is better to stay stateside.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 09:42 AM

After two Christmas trips to the wonderful Costalegre (Barra de Navidad and El Careyes), we are going to Zihuatanejo this year (www.catalina- beach-resort.com).
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 09:48 AM

Have been going to Mexico many years and my experience could not further diverge with Tinderbox. It may be that he/she chose tourist destinations. I have had many wonderful experiences thoughout the country.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 10:35 AM

Slowly returning, but, imhpo, tb is a rental property owner in HI, or a looney tune.
M
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 10:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
note that Tinderbox is making similar posts on other travel forums (Trip Advisor).

I have vacationed in Puerto Vallarta many many times (17 or so to date) and love that town. It would be perfect for your fun & beach part of the trip. You could combine it with Guadalajara (huge city) and other smaller colonial towns in the Sierra Madre or coastal towns either north or south from Vallarta.

For the best impression of PV proper do not stay out in Nuevo or the Hotel Zone but rather somewhere in El Centro or the Old Town or south-side. Some parts of the city are overcrowded and over-touristy, but most parts are regular Mexican neighborhoods.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 02:38 PM

suze,
Love your posts, but like all, you may want a larger perspective.
We certainly do from el pueblo magico.
M
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
mikemo, they specifically mentioned interest in Puerto Vallarta is why I wrote what I did.