Search

First Time to Cancun

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2000, 03:44 AM
Karen Boulton

First Time to Cancun

I am surprising my husband on our anniversary with a trip to Cancun the first week of July. We are staying at the Ritz-Carlton. <BR>Any suggestions for great restuarants besides the one at the Ritz? How about breakfast buffets? Any ideas there? One more question? Is it true about the water? Should we stay away from the ice cubes, even at our hotel? Thanks!

Old May 9th, 2000, 08:12 AM
LIZ

Hi Karen...I've been to Mexico 9 times and have never gotten sick...Especially in Cancun which is so Americanized!...Just use common sense...If something is swimming in your glass, don't drink it!....Only buy canned or bottled drinks from street vendors and bring some Imodium, just in case!...Have a swell time!

Old May 9th, 2000, 09:01 PM
paciano diaz

Karen, I would definetely only drink bottled water, even in the Ritz. The last thing you want to risk is being in bed for days on your anniversary because you "could have" drank bottled water. I strongly recommend and guarantee you will have a great time at Pericos restaurant. It is in El Centro. Any taxi driver will know. I had heard about this place. When we were in Tulum we started talking to this lady who was raving about her previous night's diner. We tried it and it was the best dinner of the two weeks! The Rits is awesome but be aware that even the bottled water in the room will cost you $5.00USD.

Old May 10th, 2000, 03:57 PM
dmotl

Ice is as safe as in the US. Water is also safe--but just like in the US who wants to drink it? The previous warning on hotel prices is so true. Don't get ripped off by your hotel!! They have a great bus system in Cancun--You can afford to eat and drink in Cancun --but maybe not at your hotel. <BR>

Old May 11th, 2000, 03:28 PM
Kathy

Hi Karen: <BR> <BR>We recently returned from Cancun. We had a very nice breakfast buffet at the Sheraton. We had a dinner at (I am not sure of this name, but it was in the Fiesta Americana) "LaJoya". This restuarant was very, very nice. <BR> <BR>We stayed away from tap water. I was told that ice cubes are ok as long as they are in a cylinder shape, with a hole in the middle. This means that they were made with purified water (???) <BR>I would also recommend taking the dietary suppliment, Acidolphis, just to be on the safe side. You can purchase it in a health-food store. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful trip!

Old May 14th, 2000, 08:59 AM
Che Guevrra

I reccomend that you don't stay the whole time in Cancún... Especially during the time that you will be going. There will be a lot of drunk teenagers &lt;&lt;graduates&gt;&gt; unfortunately, which spoiled my trip a few years ago. I reccomend that you go to Isla De las Mujeres for a more relaxing scene. <BR> <BR>--otherwise everyone there speaks english, &lt;&lt;one less thing for you to worry about!&gt;&gt; <BR> <BR>-Hasta siempre comandante...

Old May 15th, 2000, 05:43 PM
d motll

Don't go to Isla Mujeres until towards the end of your trip. /we have met several couples who gave up their prepaid Cancun hotel rooms and stayed at the Island having once visited. To get there take the Zona Hoteleria Tulum bus ( not Centro) to Plaza 2000 which is the end of the route. from there take a taxi to Puerto Juraz- cost is $2US. Than take a water taxi to the Island (cost $4). spend your time on Norte Beach. We have a 15 page travel document on the island which we can e-mail you if you contact us. dan and ginny <BR>

Old May 15th, 2000, 09:40 PM
Mark Champagne

The Ritz is nice but at 13 bucks for a hot dog you might want to escape for a while. DO take the bus into town and go to Tulum avenue where many tourists are starting to realize. There is an excellent German restaurant named "Bistro Alleman" near Pericos (opposite restaurant 100% Natural) also in town. 6 bucks for a Cordon Blue - it's only been open for 3 months. The owner Bodo, is the best chef in town. <BR> <BR>Carlos O'Brians on Tulum avenue is the local hangout for Americans/Canadians who live here. It's a bar with pretty good food. Sit out front on the sidewalk and observe! Watch out for Peluca the cat, he's friendly if you have scraps of food but he has claws! The locals all know him.