Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Flying from Mexico City to Merida -- buy air ticket in U.S. or Mexico?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2019, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

My family of five will visit Mexico City for a few days in April. Then we plan to fly to Merida, stay a few days, rent a car, drive down to Tulum and Cancun. I'm wondering if I should buy plane tickets online right now, or should I wait till buying them in Mexico? Also, I heard the local car rental company YES is quite reliable. Is it better to book a car online right now, or should I just wait till we arrive in Merida, and rent one in the airport? Your suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 07:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Regarding airfare from MEX to MID, your best bets, in descending order on discount domestic carriers, are Interjet, Volaris, and Vivaaerobus. All of them offer discounts on a regular basis, from 40% to 70%. It's hard to predict which one will be the best 3 months in advance. If you can find fares you can live with now, book it. Just be careful to know the baggage restrictions.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 05:46 AM

Have taken national flights with Aeromexico and Internet, both are very reliable and affordable. I do believe that of all the companies stated above, Aeromexico would be the most expensive. We have always purchased online but I have always kept an eye out for specials and would therefore start checking weeks ahead. As for car rentals, they say that if you book on line, you get better pricing. There are many companies competing for your dollar and they are all the best... according to themselves and their advertising. I have dealt with several and would not trust neither one. Take pictures of your car before taking possession and really check your tires...
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, baldone. I was checking online. Seems the price is reasonable enough. Prob. will book soon.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Rohelio. I prob. will end up booking online for everything. Convenience sometimes worth much more than few saved dollars. And thank you for the advice on renting car. Wondering if Uber type services is a better option.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 12:42 PM

There is no Uber at present in Riviera Maya, not sure about Yucatan state where Merida is.
I've used both Easyway and America Car Rental, small sedan runs about $40USD per day with full insurance.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 05:48 PM

Check insurance policy on the rental cars. My limited experience is that they will make you buy their insurance.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Jamie99, Thank you very much. I probably will just use Expedia to book one.