First day activities - CR

Jul 1st, 2008, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

First day activities - CR

Our trip is finally less than a month away! We'll be arriving in San Jose around 11 am and staying at the Don Carols the first night. We won't have a rental car since we'll be leaving for Tortuguero early the next morning. It's our 2nd trip, but the first with our kids who will be 7 and 9 years old. I'm sure we'll be tired from travelling, but also not wanting to spend the whole first afternoon in the hotel. From what I understand Don Carlos doesn't have a pool does it?

I don't think my kids would enjoy any of the museums in San Jose for their first experience with Costa Rica, so I'm looking for suggestions. Would a cab ride to Zoo Ave be practical by the time we would get out of the airport and checked into the hotel? That sounds like some place we all would enjoy, but logistically - is it feasible? I have no idea where it is in relation to downtown San Jose.

We'll be heading to Peace Lodge after Tortuguero, so we'll get the Waterfall Gardens and everthing that has to offer later in the trip.

As an aside, my son BROKE his ankle last weekend! Unbelievable, I told the Dr he absolutely had to have that cast off before we left! I guess if he had to do something like that, the timing was pretty good. A cast trapsing around Costa Rica in the heat and humitidy would not be a good thing! It's just a minor break, he did it on a trampoline at a birthday party!! KIDS!
Jul 1st, 2008, 05:10 AM

Shell, have a great trip; I'm so excited to hear your impressions of Tortuguero - it's on my radar. Hope all goes well with your son. A cast in CR would not be fun at all.
Jul 1st, 2008, 05:32 AM

shell--all will be well. Relax and have the time of your lives!
Jul 1st, 2008, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Jill - do you think we can fit Zoo Ave in that first day? Or by the time we get to the hotel will it be too late?

It's funny because had we not had this trip planned I probably would have waited a few more days to take my son to the Dr for his ankle! It wasn't swollen or even black and blue! But it did hurt when he walked on it. But I knew if it was broken he'd need a cast for 4 weeks! So - counting back - I figured - I better just take him in and lo and behold, it was broken! So, thanks to the trip, he got it taken care of. Otherwise he probably would have limped around for at least 3 or 4 more days before I would have taken him to the Drs!!
Jul 1st, 2008, 06:46 AM

Zoo Ave is in the opposite direction form the airport to the Don Carlos Hotel. You could do it but it would be a $30 taxi ride each way.

Itís expensive for foreigners to get in ($15 vs. $3 for citizens) but it's really nicely done and the money goes to help the animals. There are lots of amazing birds, turtles, iguanas, monkeys, some big cats and lots of other critters. When I vsitied we walked around for about two hours
Jul 1st, 2008, 08:43 AM

If you really need something to entertain you kids you could do a canopy tour in the Sabana Park in San Jose. Or you go to the Parque de Diversiones (www.parquediversiones.com).
Jul 1st, 2008, 11:49 AM

Hi ShellD,

It's always so exciting to see a long-anticipated trip finally pull into view!

Your poor son! We'll keep our fingers crossed that the cast will indeed be removed before your trip!

We thought about Zoo Ave as well for our first day this past December. By the time we actually made it to Orquideas after a 4:00 a.m. wakeup call to get to the airport that morning, we were quite happy to veg at the hotel. Maybe not so easy to do with kids...
Jul 1st, 2008, 04:58 PM

Sorry to hear about your son. At least the cast will be off, no fun having that anywhere, especially on vacation! I would play that afternoon by ear, as mentioned Zoo Ave is nice but it is in the opposite direction and it is pricey for foreigners. My dad stayed at Don Carlos and liked it very much, he took pics of what appears to be a large fountain-like thing, I guess you could get in it though