Finalizing CR trip for March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just about to do all of my reservations so need any further suggestions you may have. The first week in Guanacaste we pretty much have settled upon, thanks to some good recommendations. I added Portrero to places to visit as well as Sugar Beach after talking to someone who just returned. Has anyone gone scuba diving off Playa Coco? Is it worthwhile?
For our second week we have taken Shillmac's advice & planning to stay at Arenal for 4 nights & then head to Manual Antonio for two nights. What road do you take to get there? It appears to be a long ways away. Would it be wise to stay somewhere in between for a night? We have an extra night to spare & still have our last night in SJ. If so, where would you suggest? We will rent a car in Liberia & return it to SJ. Advantage has a great rate right now. Anyone have a bad experience with them? Must say, the trip to CR from the West Coast looks like alot of lay overs & most seem to go to Miami.
I've really enjoyed the photos people have taken & been kind enough to share. Makes us excited to go.
Gini
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 06:36 PM

Hi Gini,
Guanacaste to Arenal isn't too bad a drive. From Liberia to La Fortuna you can expect 3-4 hours, depending on traffic, road conditions (usually a little sketchy around the lake) and stops.

Arenal to Manuel Antonio, I'd drive back down to San Ramon, get on the Interamerican Highway, track back east a short distance, take the Atenas exit, and follow the map from there. OR you can just hit the highway below San Ramon heading west toward Puntarenas, following the signs to Quepos/Manuel Antonio area. It will take you close to 6 hours with a stop or 2. It is a pretty good distance. Unless you get a very early start, you won't have much time at MA to account for all the driving to get there! But it is do-able (having done it a couple of times!). . .You don't need an extra night in between.

If you do end up with an extra night, consider adding it to your MA stay, or spend a little extra time near the airport before your departure. Are you bent on staying IN San Jose? The airport is west of town a few miles, you know. Most stay in the Alajuela area. If you want a little luxury that last night or two, check out Xandari, Vista del Valle (we LOVED Ilan Ilan bungalow). If you want more of a budget hotel and very near the airport, we are quite partial to Hotel Villa Bonita, operated by Humberto Brenes and his wive, Carmen. Lovely young couple. Las Orquideas is always a fun (also budget-moderate) place to stay with a fun bar.

If you particularly want to see the city, I'd suggest the Hotel Don Carlos, one of our favorites because of the excellent staff and great location for exploring the main sights. Grano de Oro has a great reputation as well. Hope to stay there sometime. . .we've heard so many good things about it.

Good luck! We'll be there in March as well. You remind me to get busy with the reservations. Have the main part booked, but not the beginning and end!
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Shillmac,
You are ever so helpful. We don't have to stay at Manuel Antonio but have just heard such great reports, it only seems fitting. We are open to other areas as well. Let me know of any other options. Our daughter was there about 13 years ago and has given us some advice but they pretty much roughed it so didn't want to follow her path. We really don't care about staying in SJ so will look at your suggestions.
Keep in touch before you leave in March. Perhaps our paths may cross.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 04:54 PM

Manuel Antonio is a nice area. Just a little more "touristy". But there's a very good reason for that, so what can you do?!

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time and yes, let's do keep in touch.

[email protected]
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 11:32 AM

was diving in playas del coco last month, i went with summer salt who were excellent:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/playa_...ing/index.html