Search

final plans for heredia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
final plans for heredia

I am ramping up with my final plans for my 1 week immersion program at Intercultura of Heredia the latter part of Feb. I am taking some previous advice and doing the Highlihts of Costa Rica tour on Sunday before classes start. I figure that is the best way to see as much of CR in the limited time I have. I have a lot of questions and will number them so as to make it easier to answer selected questions:

1. The "Highlights" tour has offered to pick me up at either the Best Western or The Hamton Inn. Since I will be coming from Heredia is one a better pick up spot than the other? I would prefer not to be picked up last for best seat selection purposes.

2. does the tour company use a large or small bus? Are there better seats on the bus for better views?

3. Clothes-I like to travel light so I plan on having only a carry-on on the plane and wearing jeans on the flight and I will have them washed for wearing on my return trip home. I plan to only pack and wear shorts and t-shirts to school every day. Would that be appropriate wear to go into El zocalo every night or San Jose? Or should I take an extra pair of jeans. What about in the restuarants? Obviously the less types of clothes I have to worry about the better. In Mexico I found it convenient to go to the laundry about every other day to cut down on the number of clothes I took. I would like to avoid a jacket but may pack in a windshirt as a precaution.

4. Weather- Should I bring a jacket or long sleeve shirts because of getting cooler in the evenings? I have attended schools in Cuernavaca and Oaxaca and never had any problems just wearing shorts around the cities or in the sidewalk cafes.

4. On the "Highlights" tour is there are good risk of cooler weather and rain so perhaps to be prepared for weather changes?

5. Can I use my "Sams" ATT calling card to call back home from most pay phones?

6. What about cell phone use? Assume my Cingular wireless will work as it does in Mexico?

7. Are there plenty of cambios/ATM's in Heredia or should I get some money changed at DFW before departure? I am assuming they don't take dollars anyplace.

8. Costa Rica Coffee-I would like to bring back some samples for my friends. Maybe I could buy sampler packs? Assume coffee is for sale all over? suggestions?

9. what about other souveniers reflecting the culture of the area? My wife always likes me to bring home little trinkets from these school journeys. She will not be with me.

10. Should I buy a gift for my CR family? In Mexico I always left a box of Godiva's for my homestay family but I was never sure if they would have preferred something different. Or, do you think it would be better to take them out to dinner and a reasonable restuarant? If so, do you have a recommendation?

11. Anyone have any experiences with the school I am attending-"Intercultura". Any advice? In previous immersions I have always found the other students to be very friendly and wanting to "group-up" for dinners or just general "hanging out" in el centro. I am currently signed up for 4 hours of classes in the a.m. with a possible 2 hours of 1 on 1 in the afternoon. My free time will be spent trying to see as much of Heredia and SJO as possible. Assume I can cover Heredia in one day?

Thanks for all the advance help. I will probably think of other questions and the time gets closer.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:06 PM

I did the Highlights Tour when in the same situation as you last summer. I took a taxi from my homestay (near Heredia) to the Hampton for pick up. It took about 10 minutes (or less) and cost $5. It was a medium sized turismo van--all seats were good. There were about 10 or 12 of us on the tour. The bus probably would have seated 20. Absolutely fabulous tour.

Yes, take a jacket. Poas very cool in the early a.m. You can leave it on the bus or tie it around your waist later. I wore capri pants. Found both a jacket, a few longed sleeved knit tops and capri jeans handy during my stay in Heredia. Shorts are not common in the more conservative central valley area (although I wore them occasionally). Nights can be low 60's--which, to me, is cool! I would venture to say the Costa Ricans are a little more conservative than the Mexicans.

AT&T card works well. You can add minutes with a push of the button and your Visa card! Count on a 500 minute card giving you about 100 minutes from CR. I don't think your cell phone will work.

Heredia has plenty of ATM's and yes, you can "do" the city in a day. Check out the market and a great restaurant, La Petit Paris.

A gift is always a nice gesture for your homestay. It think they would prefer something from the states that they might not be able to get down there rather than a meal out. You could do both, I guess. Chocolates a nice idea. Also nuts, souvenirs from your state, etc.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:16 PM

About the coffee. Find yourself a nice supermarket in Heredia--it shouldn't be difficult. Buy the 12 oz sizes. Cafe Britt is excellent ($3.50 per bag), but Volio is just as good for about $3 per bag. I'd stay away from the cheaper ones. The dark roast (green bag) is one of the best coffee products you can buy--whole bean or ground (molido). At the airport, there is a Cafe Britt shop and you can buy it there if you'd rather pay $6 per bag!
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the info Shillmac-sounds like I may have to pull a few pairs of shorts out of the carry-on and replace with an extra pair of Jeans and LS shirts. The last thing I want to be is cold.
Is the Petit Paris a French restuarant? I assume so with the name. I haven't taken my previous homestay families out to dinner but this may be the time to do that plus it would be a good bonding experience.
the people at "highlights" were good about e-mailing me so I feel really good about going with them. they told me I was eligible for a "student discount". When they see my gray temples they may reverse the offer!!

The coffee tips were great and I will print off the types and make sure I buy those kinds to bring to my friends. Sounds like space in my bags for the return trip may be at a premium.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:06 AM

Yes, they serve crepes. There was a review in the Tico Times recently (www.ticotimes.net)--I'm not sure if you can do a search or not. Try entering the name of the restaurant on google--then type Costa Rica or Heredia.

Another great place for souvenirs is the little town of Sarchi--about an hour by public bus from Heredia. You can find any and everything you are looking for here--it is a wonderful little town to visit--they make furniture here and it is the home of the famous hand-painted oxcarts.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 04:09 AM

http://www.costaricabureau.com/costa...fo/heredia.htm

This will tell you a tiny bit about the restaurant, but also gives good info about the Heredia area.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:17 AM

When I did the Highlight tour a couple of years ago they used a huge bus. It is the only group tour I have taken (other than rafting)in many years of travel down there but I really enjoyed it. They probably have different sized vehicles to use depending on how many people are signed up for the trips. It had large windows so everyone had a good view.

I would definitely have some warmer clothes for Poas as well as the cooler nights and mornings in San Jose/Heredia. I have a very light rain jacket that has a little sack that I can hook to my belt loop. It came in handy on my trip. A pair of slacks such as casual dockers might take up less room in your pack. They would definitely be lighter. My homestays included at least one clothes washing.

The highlight tour includes a tour of the Doka coffee plantation, you can pick up a little coffe while there. The peaberry is a little weak but the darker roasts are wonderful. Coffee is cheaper at the grocery stores but not all brands such as Doka are available.

The gift shop at the Hotel Don Carlos in San Jose has some good souveniers if you don't have time to go all the way to Sarchi.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

I checked out the recommended websites and it looks like they will help quite a bit. I noticed that on one it said that many restuarants in SJO will not allow shorts or sneakers! Is this correct? Without sneakers it means an extra pair of shoes which I can't afford the space in my carry on.

I tried to set up an advance tour with the school but they said it depended on if they had enough sign ups etc, etc, so they could not committ in advance so I am glad to be taking the "Highlights" tour.

Only question not answered so far was the one about changing money into colones. Should I do some of that in the states or are there plenty of cambios in the airport upon arrival? thanks
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:49 PM

nonstop,

Don't change in the states. Wait until you get there. There are banks in Heredia. Banking in Costa Rica is an interesting experience anyway. Might as well try your hand at it. Plan to go when you have about an hour to kill! No need to go into a lot of detail--it is, as I said, interesting! Sometimes you can get lucky and do it in 15 minutes or so.

We've gotten accustomed lately to actually taking very little money with us. Just an ATM card. When we arrive, we use it to get colones. We much prefer colones, although dollars are widely and easily accepted (provided they are in good condition and aren't larger than a $20).

When I was in school near Heredia (San Joaquin), the first day after class a group of us went with someone from the school to do a little tour of Heredia. It included an intro to ATM's and a stop at the bank for some of the students who needed to change dollars. It won't be a problem for you! The bank will give you the best exchange rate should you decide to take a lot of cash and change it as you go.