Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Feb 2005 Trip Notes - Osa (Bosque del Cabo, Iguana Lodge) Alajuela (Orquideas) - Another Wonderful Trip

Search

Feb 2005 Trip Notes - Osa (Bosque del Cabo, Iguana Lodge) Alajuela (Orquideas) - Another Wonderful Trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As always thanks for all the answers to so many questions, before our trip!

Forgive me, this has turned in to a very long report and I know I am leaving out things!

It was typed in MSWord, so most likely the punctuation will be changed a bit.

If you have any question, I will be happy to try and answer from this board. If you prefer you can email me at [email protected]

February 2005 CR Trip Reflections

Well, here goes.

Areas we visited,
Osa Peninsula – Bosque del Cabo and Iguana Lodge
Alajuela – Orquideas Inn

Our travel began a bit shaky. There had been an ice storm in the southeast that had shut down Atlanta. Once we arrived in Memphis, we learned that although ATL was open, flights departing for Atlanta were being held on the ground for about 3 hours (I had checked the Internet and it stated our flight was on time!). Well that would cause us to miss our connecting flight. Delta representatives were wonderful in working to get us to CR that day. So instead of Delta, they put us on Northwest to Miami and then American to SJO. Finally we arrived at SJO about 4 hours later than planned.

Immigration took maybe 15 minutes; baggage was already at baggage claim, grabbed our bag and then got in line at customs. Where did all these people come from? Customs was a very lengthy process.

Naturally our driver was long gone, although he did try to find us and did wait for 2 hours, but of course we are no longer on Delta. Not a problem, the taxi service is set up so efficiently at SJO. Taxi to Orquideas cost I believe 9 US Dollars and took about 15 minutes.

When we arrived at Orquideas, they were quite surprised. They had heard some strange story that Miami had been hit with an ice storm! How odd would that be!

We checked in and then spent a few minutes with Angie from Wady Tours to finalize our transfers and a day trip. Wady Tours office is located in Orquideas office and gift shop. Wady Tours provides transfers between the hotel and the airports as well as organized and customized tours. [email protected]

We had reserved a garden room for around $75 per night. The room was just fine and quiet. Very close to the bar, restaurant and office. Rooms had a double bed and twin bed, AC, fan, TV, great hot water, and decent lighting. Brightly painted, with tile flooring, quite comfortable.

Since it is dark outside, I am not going to get to explore the grounds yet. So off to the Marilyn Monroe Bar for our welcome drink and the first Imperial of the trip. Meeting and talking with people is always a highlight of our trips and yes we met some interesting people at the bar that evening, one couple just coming from the Osa and one just back from Panama.

We found that the restaurant is upstairs and even though it had a nice view and seemed very cozy, we opted to have dinner in the bar. You can order either from the restaurant menu or an appetizer menu. Chas had the Wine Tenderloin, oh so tender and quite delicious, served with mashed potatoes and a corn concoction along with grilled asparagus, ummmm. I had the shrimp and avocado salad, which was also delicious. Their meal presentation is very attractive.

We visited for a while, but had been up since 2:30 AM, so I had to get some sleep.

Next morning, Breakfast is served between 8 and 9 AM, although coffee is ready at 6 AM. I am a die hard coffee drinker, so off to the coffee at 6 AM with my trusty insulated cup, which goes everywhere with me! Coffee was good, as expected. They serve Tres Generations the Doka brand.

(I had packed two duffle bags prior to leaving home, with only things we would need in the Osa. And then had placed one duffle in a rolling bag, for ease through the airports. This also gave us an extra bag to store at the hotel, which was nice to be able to dump our travel clothing and extra clothing for our final days. And nice to have the extra bag in case I over bought and needed extra space for the return home (which I needed!). The weights of our duffle bags were 18 lbs and 21 lbs. well under the 25 allowed and we still had too much.)

We had breakfast this morning, and as it was quite good, I really don’t think it was the best breakfast that I have ever had in CR. They had an assortment of fresh fruit and juices, the expected black beans and rice, a potato dish, sausages, tamales, plantains, omelets and pancakes.

It is 9 AM, time to meet Luis for our transfer to the Nature Air terminal for our 10:45 AM flight to Puerto Jimenez. I was surprised to learn that the Nature Air terminal is an hour away from Orquideas, and the Sansa terminal is only 15 minutes away. Obviously I missed this somewhere in my research.

Luis was great to point out things along the way and give us a bit of the history of the area. He is a talker!

Nature Air terminal is much more modern than the Sansa one. It was also much more organized and efficient. Nice clean, spacious waiting area, with clean restrooms. I didn’t see a vendor for drinks or snacks, so bring those with you. You can exchange money here, which is handy. They weighed our bags, and then had us stand on the scale with our backpacks. No way to lie about your weight here! I was pleased at this way of doing things. Then at boarding they checked through our carry on items. The planes were so colorfully painted, how cool! Nature Air planes are twin engine and have a pilot and co pilot.

Off we go for 7 days in the Osa. We met two couples on the plane from North Carolina, also headed to Bosque. We became friends quickly and ended up doing much together over the next few days.

Flight was uneventful, arrival was smooth. I recommend that you dress for the heat, even though SJ may be a bit chilly that morning, the heat in PJ is going to slap you in the face (you can always wear a lightweight shirt over a tank or t-shirt and zip off those legs). I noticed throughout our stay, people arriving would be in jeans and sweltering by the time they arrived at the lodge.

Kevin from Bosque del Cabo was there to meet us. He drove all 6 of us to the lodge in one of their, I guess they were Land Rovers. Kevin is wonderful, throughout our trip he was always so helpful, pleasant, funny and quite knowledgeable.

We made a quick stop for a six pack of Imperial and headed off to Bosque. Along the way Kevin stopped several times to point out animals and birds, he has quite an eye for this. And the Macaws in that huge tree, how many are there, seems like hundreds, so beautiful.

The road is quite bumpy, goes through several stream and river beds, and I thought the roads up north were bad!

We were greeted at Bosque and asked to enjoy our lunch before they showed us to our cabins. I had the tuna melt, which had a few too many onions, but still quite good, just took a little time to pick some out. Can’t remember what Chas had!

Now for check in! One of the extremely efficient and knowledgeable staff showed us around the grounds, explained everything and then took us to the cabin. Coffee at 6, Breakfast 7-9, Lunch 12-1, Dinner at 7. Small gift shop, Library upstairs from the dining area, Nice inviting pool. Bar in the afternoon and evening. All day you can get drinks on the honor system. Yep, at the bar area, there is a cooler with ice cold soft drinks and beer. You take what you want and mark this on a sheet that is provided. Water, you can mark that you took a small or large, and then the rest of the stay you can refill your bottle from a filtered water system there at the bar.

Now the room!!!!!! FABULOUS – oh my, some that have helped with my trip planning may remember that we were going to have to move around. Well not know! They were able to get us in one cabin for the entire stay. And what a cabin. We were in Gecko, directly down the hill from the restaurant. What an incredible place. This is one of the stucco buildings. We had a wonderfully comfortable king size bed. A couple of closets, a room safe. A comfy sitting area inside. And on the porch a wrap around L shaped blue cushioned sofa area (the one on the web page!), chair and a hammock. And OH MY GOSH – I love the shower, it even has super hot water – I may just live in here! The cabin opened up on two sides to offer stunning views, as well as having windows everywhere. INCREDIBLE. I am in heaven.

Just off our porch, we soon learned we have what we named our, Toucan tree. Toucans were in this tree every morning and late afternoon, so beautiful to watch. The Macaws fly over throughout the day, and the Monkeys troop through every afternoon. We actually saw all 4 monkeys here (spider, squirrel, howler and white faced)!

We spent what was left of the afternoon, exploring the grounds. Many people ask about recommended cabins at Bosque. I personally think all would be fine. The standard and deluxe cabins are lined around the bluff. Each has great views and I am sure differences that make them unique. Now the garden cabins, are quite a trek into the forest. Which would certainly be very dark at night.

For the dinner meal, they pull tables together in order to seat 8 -10. We so enjoyed this meal. As you have gathered I love to get to know people on our trips. We had long leisurely dinners with interesting and sometimes very funny conversations. Some guests opted to eat alone out on the deck, but we more enjoy the fellowship with others.

A very delicious buffet is prepared each evening, offering many wonderful vegetables and usually a fish and beef or chicken choice. As well as soup or salad and dessert. Maureen the Chef came around each evening and talked with the guests and answered tons of questions, she is such a character! Dinner at Bosque is quite casual, there were women there that had brought along skirts or more dressy capri pants, but I was perfectly comfortable in my shorts and shirts.

Speaking of shorts and shirts, the fast drying ones are wonderful for CR. You get hot during the days and this type clothing can be easily hand washed and hung to dry and they help in keeping your luggage weight down. I took a few pair of Columbia shorts, a couple of short sleeve fast drying camp shirts, as well as 2 long sleeve ones with the SPF factor for fishing (get to that later). And lots of tank tops!

Is it hot? Yes, it is, but it wasn’t unbearable. There is a breeze from the ocean; you have a small fan in the cabin. The pool is mostly shaded. Surprisingly the forest canopy really cools things while hiking – but you will get sweaty. Always take more water than you think you will need.

We hiked a few trails. There is a spot on the Creek Trail that is a must Kodak moment. You get to a sign that shows you to turn left for the Creek Trail. But if you follow the path to the right, you will find an absolutely stunning view of the ocean. This picture is now my background on my computer!

The trails are all well maintained and mapped. It was a bit muddy at times, due to the night time rains, but my Columbia Sandals were fine.

The birding – you must take an early morning birding trip with Eduardo. He is so good. I must admit (sorry birders) but I had never been birding. Actually had often wondered what are they oohing and ahhing about? Well, I am hooked!

Night time shoes – you may prefer a toe in shoe, the little (I guess) land crabs that come out at night, well they may not bother you, but I wore my tennis shoes just in case.

Night time reading – something I purchased for this trip was headlamps. I really bought them for night time hiking, but found they are fabulous for night time reading. I so enjoyed being able to sit out on the porch in the evening and read.

Bugs – we didn’t have a problem with any insects, other than late afternoons in the forest we did see a few mosquitoes.

Recharging batteries – although there is an outlet in the cabin, for the fan to plug in, you are asked to not use electrical small appliances, such as hair dryers. I asked about recharging batteries, and they requested that I bring them to the office to plug in.

What else, Oh! Fishing. Well this was my first experience with off shore fishing! And BOY what a day! I brought home the dinner! My first - ever in my life – fish to catch! I have never had the patience for this sport. But on this day, no patience was needed. Chas, myself and couple from NC (Missy and Doug) booked a trip together and brought in 2 Marlin- hooked 7, 2 sailfish, a couple of Dorado (Maui Maui), several Tuna, and numerous others. We brought back the Dorado for dinner, the others were released. Booked this trip through Bosque, with a truly fabulous captain! Mike Hennessy www.cabo-matapalo.com Can’t say enough about this guy, he was wonderful as was his deckhand, which his name slips me. Oh, and seeing Bosque and Lapa Rios from this vantage point, pretty awesome! Very enjoyable day!

By the time we got back Maureen already knew she had fish to cook and prepared a delicious fish soup, as well as an entrée that was scrumptious! I was still on an adrenaline high late into the evening! What a day.

We had actually booked fishing for the day before with Mark at www.costa-rica-sportfishing.com unfortunately before we got out of the gulf, one of his, 3 month old engines failed. As boaters ourselves, we understand that things do happen. Seemed like a good guy and I am sure we would have had a great day.

Let’s see I guess I will hike a little today, hang out at the pool and get my 3 PM massage! Been waiting for this massage for a year!

Well, today is the last day to awake to the sound of the howler monkeys and then listen as the day time jungle sounds come alive. I am going to miss this, such a peaceful place. Kevin is going to drive is over to Iguana Lodge today. After several trips to town, we decide to go whenever it is convenient with Kevin. No need to make him ride that bumpy road more than necessary!

Bosque is a truly unbelievably wonderful place. Whether you are looking for all day hiking and activity or simply to relax, unwind from the world and reconnect to yourself, this is the place. The grounds are lovely, the staff just wonderful, and the food fantastic. It is truly difficult for me to leave. We hugged everyone and sadly said our good byes.

Kim is a truly remarkable person and does such a great job of running Bosque. We did see more of Kim than we did of Phil (family was there), and I must say he made an excellent choice by marrying her! She is a perfect hostess. We will be back to Bosque del Cabo, most likely sooner than later.

(A side note: we ran into 3 different couples that had split time between Lapa Rios and Bosque, all 3 expressed liking Bosque best. We did run in Lapa Rios to pick up our fishing partners, who had moved to LR– I must say the view from their lobby, restaurant and pool is spectacular. But I believe it is all the stairs and the fact that it seems a bit more formal that had people preferring Bosque.)

Now the road to Iguana Lodge, even worse than the road to Bosque, but not as far! Mostly dirt road, with large mud holes.

We arrive to a very lush oasis. Greeted, given a brief orientation of the property and shown to our cabin. There were no upper level rooms available, so they put us in Jasmine, which is a two story cabin, designed more for families. There were two bedrooms - one up, one down – the stairs are outside. Both had a double bed and a twin bed. The bathroom was downstairs. Both bedrooms had a deck off the front. This worked fine for us. The bathroom downstairs was a bit inconvenient, but not bad. The fan in our room would blow you out of bed! There were books and magazines in the room, that is nice.

In short our stay at Iguana Lodge is mainly for relaxation. I started each day with a walk around the grounds and down the beach, camera in one hand, coffee in the other. Then spent most of the day reading a book on the beach. And then early evening at the Pearl for a Mango Daiquiri and dinner at 7.

Beach mats can be found at the main rancho or the hammock house down near the beach. (Yoga mats also found here). Also available are boogie boards, kayaks and such.

Breakfast on the verandah was nice each morning. They cook up a special for the day, but if you simply want something like eggs and toast, they will do that too. Coffee is out by 6 AM.

Lunch you find, next door at the Pearl, which is only a few steps away. You order from the menu here.
Good view of the beach from the Pearl. And if staying at the Pearl, I would think the two end corner beach side rooms would be best. Only because of the possibility of cross ventilation in the room.

Also, drinks of all kinds can be gotten at the Pearl. Although it is stated that you can get water bottles and cerveza at the Iguana, we did not find this to be the case – we were told to go next door. There is however a water cooler at Iguana to refill water bottles.

Dinner is served upstairs in the Rancho, the meals were truly delicious, however children may find them a bit fancy and prefer a hamburger from the Pearl. And as you know, we much enjoyed meeting the other guest and the conversations.

Lauren and Toby were very friendly. Lauren unfortunately fell out of their tree house back in November while sleep walking! Needless to say they moved back downstairs! She is now out of the cast, but still walking with a limp.

Lauren did much of the plantings and designing of the gardens, which are beautiful and very lush. Nice maintained trails to all the cabins. Toby we learned has recently purchased a road grader! I guess the roads will get a much needed smoothing over.

It seems that Iguana would be a good place to do day trips from, as well as offering a beautiful nearly secluded beach. No beach vendors here! Puerto Jimenez is about 3 miles away, which takes about 15 minutes.

No howlers to wake me in the morning, but the parrots are calling. Dress, get my coffee and off to track down those birds. Darn, I can’t believe I am doing this! Anyway every time I go down a path, I end up at someone’s cabin. Finally I run into some people that show me the beach trail and point me in the right direction. As you would figure, by the time I got there the birds were gone!

We did see quite a few different birds; don’t know the names except for the parrots and macaws, as well as butterflies. There was also a group of white faced monkeys in the trees out front that played in the mornings.

We did notice more mosquitoes here.

Time to go again! Our taxi to the PJ airstrip was in the back of a pick up truck. It did have a canopy and some padded seats, thankfully. We arrived about 30 minutes before our noon departure. There is a very very small tree that provides enough shade for a couple of people. That is the Nature Air terminal. Sansa has an awning to stand under. Also, Lapa Rios’ office is just across the street, several trees that provide lots of shade – we stood there. Just a couple of doors down, there is a gift shop you may want to check out if you arrive here early.

Our plane is on time. The view from the air is so spectacular, you can see the dock and all the boats, you can see all the canals and rivers that run from the gulf to the Pacific coast. We landed in Quepos to pick up other passengers. I can’t believe it! Quepos actually has a building, with walls and ceilings – not just the usual airstrip! We were on the ground just minutes!

Back in SJ, Wilson from Wady Tours picked us up and returned us to Orquideas. We had lunch and then met with Carlos, who would be driving us the next day. We had requested Luis for our driver, but after talking with him at the beginning of our trip, we learned this was the week of his family vacation. He was willing to drive us and miss part of the vacation, but we said no, we could use a different driver.

Carlos is Wady’s brother. Fairly new to this business, but spoke good English and tried very hard to make certain we were pleased with our day. Which we were. We started out after breakfast, Carlos pointing out things all along the way. In Cartago we visited the impressive ruins of the old church and then the most awesome church. The Basilica de Nuestra Senora de los Angeles, this is a must see. Not only is it a beautiful building, but is a beautiful experience as well.

From here we visited Lankaster Gardens. This was a very pleasant stop. The orchids are obviously beautiful, but so are all of their gardens. One thing it is quite damp in some of the areas, bug spray is a good idea.

Then onto the Orosi Valley – Oh My Gosh! What a spectacular view! Coming down the mountain, you get glimpses of the valley, just beautiful.

We stopped at the Cachi dam and looked over, whoa what a drop! On around the lake, we stopped at a place for lunch – I have misplaced my notepad, so can’t tell you the name. But the food was delicious. And that Café Flan or Custard, to die for! There were some artisans here with their work, some paintings and jewelry, I bought both.

On around the lake we stopped at another very old church (I want my notepad!) it was right across from the soccer field, where young boys were engaged in a match.

We constantly had breathtaking views as we continued out of the valley. (Percy if you are reading, you can see we followed your footsteps)

A splendid day! Except for the traffic on the way back.

Carlos stopped on the way back so that I could purchase coffee – Now here is the real reason for that extra bag. 20 lbs, I hope that last the year!

Back at Orquideas for our final evening. I have not had an opportunity to do any souvenir shopping, so I picked up a few things in the gift shop, we had dinner, talked with more people. Early to bed, we are going home early tomorrow.

We left at 6:30 for our 9 AM flight. Wilson drove us again. Once inside the airport, the departure tax was a breeze. We stood in line at Delta for what seemed like an eternity. Through security and off to our gate, where boarding was to begin at 8:20. We still had time to stop in a Café Britt gift shop for some last minutes gifts for the family.

It has been another wonderful trip to Costa Rica.

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 01:35 PM

Great report. We are going to Bosque in May. Can't wait.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 02:18 PM
MNP

Thanks for sharing your report! Sounds like you had a fantastic time...Bosque del Cabo sounds just wonderful!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 03:38 PM

Thank you, thank you for your trip report. We love Costa Rica. Going for our 3rd time in May. Love to visit different areas through trip reports like yours.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 03:42 PM

Hi dfarmer

Yes I am reading your report.

What a lovely time you had in Osa and what a great report you wrote.

I too now have learned something about Nature Air and Sansa.

And yes, this time I am following YOUR explanation( ie. footsteps) as you write about Cartago, Cachi Dam and the Lankaster Gardens.

I fully agree the Orosi Valley views are super.
I keep telling people the Church in Cartago is a must see and I am glad you agree.

The inside of the Church is unique and that is all I will say, so as not to spoil for others by explaining the color scheme inside!!!

I am taking a guess now but was that other Church you mentioned , the one in the town of Orosi? ( 1534)!

It was nice to follow your moves about this area.

Thank you for a very nice report.
I have already made some notes about Osa from your lovely report.

You can take a bow for presenting us with this excellent information.

Percy

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 04:56 PM

Donna, I loved reading your report--it was worth waiting for! My favorite parts were your raves regarding the showers at Bosque (my sentiments exactly--WOW) and birding with Eduardo. Like you, I was a novice last year and the first time hooked me. Second time was with Eduardo at Bosque. I felt like a birder by that time! Also, I enjoyed your description of your visit to the Orosi Valley--another of my favorite parts of Costa Rica--my gosh, there are so many. Basically everywhere!

Was the church the one in Ujarras built in the 1600's? If I remember correctly, we drove through Ujarras just before Cachi and Orosi. This is a part of the country that I would like to spend 2-3 days next time. The day trip is nice, but oh my, those views should be enjoyed for longer! So glad you had a wonderful time. You did a wonderful job of relating it all!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:14 PM

dfarmer, Just adding my two cents worth. I loved reading about your trip! We will be venturing into CR for our FIRST TIME this April (05) and everyone's posts have been invaluable! Seems CR can be quite addictive. I feel addicted and I've not even gotten there yet! Lately I find myself planning an itinerary for trip 2 and I haven't even gotten there for the first trip! Oy! Anyways, even though the only place we will visit that is similar to your trip is Orchideas, I have noted the other areas for a FUTURE trip. Alas! we should have discovered CR long ago! Thanx for the great report!
Cheri
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your kind remarks, I really did not mean to write a mini novel! But I so love Costa Rica. And YES, am quite addicted!

Planning your next trip before your first - Yep, you got the bug!

Since I have misplaced that stupid little notepad that was glued to me all through our trip, I am lost!

The church! I went back to the pictures and it is the one in Orosi! I was amazed at some of the artifacts that were salvaged for the museum.

The church in Cartago, well I just have to say you have to walk inside to understand. You can't help but feel it. I simply cannot put words to the feelings I had. It is a powerful place.

For those of you headed to Bosque, how I wish I were going with you.

I forgot to say how much we loved Jen (at Bosque). She has such a beautiful smile and personality. She was so excited to say "I am a waitress" we changed it to "you are an excellent waitress". It was actually hard to leave her. Funny how you can get so attached so quickly.

And Fredrico (sp) Fred for short - waiter/bartender. And Felipe and Shirley and Anhelica (sp) - They were all fabulous. Oh and we got to meet Leonardo, who works so hard to make certain your reservations are taken care of and answers so many questions, unselfishly.

Bosque truly has the most helpful, caring, attending, pleasant, happy staff of anywhere I have ever been.

I guess you know - I really loved Bosque del Cabo!

The whole trip was just perfect.

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 11:46 AM

You've said it all, Donna, and very well!
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 11:24 PM

Hi Donna,
Firstly thanks for the awesome report. I too LOVE Bosque del Cabo. And I was mistaken about your identity - oops! I live in Memphis and know a Debbie Farmer...
Welcome back and now I hope to plan a trip for this summer.
Leslee
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 01:01 AM

Thanks for the interesting, informative
post. We did not get to the Orsa Peninsula,but could share with you the experience of exploring the Orso Valley for a day with Luis. What a wonderful young man! Also stayed at the Los Orquideas Inn. Sorry we never ate at the restaurant there. CR is really an addictive place. What we missed was the wild life you write about on the Orsa Peninsula. We went to Arenal(did get to see the lava flow) and Manuel Antonio. Beautiful,but not the wild life you saw on the Orsa peninsula. That is the biggest reason I would like to go back to CR. Meeting other people as I also like to do sounded like so much fun when you share meals where you are staying.
Thanks again for your post-so much fun to read.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:10 AM

Donna,
Glad you had such a great time. I am still basking in the warm Bosque glow myself having left it just a few hours ago.

I can't believe what luck you had with fishing! In all the times we have been out we have never hooked a marlin. I hooked a wahoo last time and all the workers thought it was a marlin the way it took the line. I kept trying to pass the pole to someone else, Sailfish yes but I really didn't think I was up to a Marlin. They made me hang on and it was great fun. Those Dorados are huge and weird looking aren't they? First time I saw one, I just kept asking what it was. Great eating. I wonder if all that Dorado we ate was still part of yours. Does Mike use a chair or the little cups that you put around your waist? Since hurting my back I have trouble with those belts which is why we haven't been fishing as much.

I love the Basilica in Cartago also. I never cease to be fascinated with all those thousands of charms believed to represent miracles.

I'll bet anything you are planning your next trip already?
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:51 AM

Just wanted to add another thank you. Great report! Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Jessie - Are you back?! Can't wait to hear about your Panama/Costa Rica Combo!

Yes those Dorado are some strange creatures. Actually the way it was pulling, as for as I could tell it might have been a WHALE! Mike, used both the belt and chair and the chair sure did make it easier. I must say he was wonderful. He knew he had a totally inexperienced fisher person in me! He told me everything to do. It was so fast and furious and the adrenaline did not stop until late in the evening.

And yes, already planning. As you know, my husband has asked me to look at other destinations. I am trying, but it is so hard. I find myself looking at Nicaragua/CR or Panama/CR, combining!

Sparkelgem - glad you found my report! I knew you were considering Iguana Lodge for next year. I posted some pics of Iguana, maybe you found those also.

Oh, I wish I were back!
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 12:01 PM

Oh, I had wanted to ask, were you happy with the order in which you visited Bdc and Iguana Lodge? I was thinking of the Pearl and then BdC. I thought that most places might seem a bit of a let down after just staying at Bosque del Cabo.

I really enjoyed your pictures!! Did you happen to take any of the Pearl?
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

sparklegem - No I didn't take pics of Pearl. Don't know where my mind was! However the picture on the website is as is it. I know sometimes these pictures are not always exactly what you find. Downstairs where the tables are is the restaurant and a long bar. It is larger than it looks on the site. The tables are facing the water, with an almost unobstucted view. There is a volleyball net near the beach. And did I remember a pool table?

As for order - Yes, if I were going to do the exact trip again, I would do Iguana first and then move onto BDC. But was absolutely fine with the way things went.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:17 PM

I am so glad that you enjoyed your trip. It sounds like a terrific vacation.

Did you like the Pearl? I had thought that we could save a little by staying there and it would help to offset Cabo del Blanco.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Gem, I thougth the Pearl had a good feel about it.

We enjoyed the food and drink here. Giovanni was the bartender/waiter, he was a very pleasant and accomadating guy.

I was surprised one morning to see one of the staff, literally mopping the ceiling and posts. Until that moment I never gave much thought to how difficult it is to keep these open air spaces so clean. And clean it was.

All the Iguana guest have lunch at the Pearl. And get drinks here.

Toby and Lauren are in and out of the restaurant area all the time. So they really keep their hands on both properties.

It has a good open view to the water. And I enjoyed being on the beach in front of the Pearl, better than in front of Iguana. Just more convenient.

Secure your beach area early. As there are only about 6 palapas along the beach. And only really one good shady area under the trees.

You can literally walk for miles here and see nothing but sand, water and trees.

I think it will be fine. I do think the rooms will probably be more typical to a standard hotel room. Just make certain to book a beach front room. And I would think one of the 2 corner rooms would be best for air circulation.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 08:10 AM

Thank you for the great advice. It is also good to know about the palapas. We are all fair and shade deffinately extends our beach time.