Family Trip - Please Comment!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning our family trip (kids ages 8 and 6)to CR for 2 weeks in January. Please give me feedback on our itinerary and activities:
Day 1
Arrive SJO early am
Private transportation to Arenal.
3 nights Arenal Paraiso
Day 2
Hoseback ride to La Fortuna Falls
Tabacon Hot Springs and Dinner
Day 3
Cano Negro
Day 4
Taxi - Boat to Monteverde
2 nights Fonda Vela
Day 5
Selvatura Park - Canopy, Hanging Bridges and Butterfly Garden
Day 6
Private Transport to Nosara
8 nights private home - Playa Pelada
Car rental
Day 7-12
Nosara
Day 13
Flight from Nosara to SJO
Overnight at Trapp Family Country Inn
Day 14
Depart for home.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 02:16 PM

erinnq - looks very similar to my family's itinerary this summer. This long trip report will give you an idea of the activities that were big hits for us:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35045117
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 02:17 PM

I think it looks great. I am curious how you decided on Nosara. We have been there four times and love it but it is a little off the beaten path. The beaches there can have very big waves and be sure to bring or make sure the rental house has beach umbrellas. There is almost no shade. If the turtles are nesting in Ostional that would be very fun for the kids. Does the house have a pool?
For restaurants we like Giardino Tropical for pizza and outside of Nosara, going towards Garza, La Dolce Vita for Italian.I think if you like peace and quiet you will like Nosara.Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

MRand- I started to read your trip report and decided to print it out and read it in a comfy chair....looks like good reading!

Especially the car rental saga - we decided to make it less stressful and get transportation up to Arenal, Monteverde and Nosara and then rent a car when we are at the beach. Also decided to take a flight back to San Jose. I figure we are spending a big portion of our budget on transportation...$1200.

Karenlf - thanks for the advice about the sun - what about bugs? We are trading a houses with a family that lives by Playa Pelada. They have a pool and are right by the beach. Said there are beaches with easy waves for the kids to learn to surf. We live in ski country so their kids are learning to ski.

We love peace and quiet - will get our adventure quenched at Arenal and MV - then have some down time to beach, hike, kayak, yoga...check out the turtles.

Thanks for the restaurant reviews! Our hosts have lined up some babysitters so we can have a little adult time!
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 04:17 AM

erinnq - here's restaurant reviews by an American expat living in Nosara:

http://www.surfingnosara.com/index.p...&Itemid=30

His blog and other pages of his web site also have interesting tidbits on goings-on in the Nosara area.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 04:26 AM

Hi, I don't really have any comments on the itinerary, but I'm looking forward to hearing how your kids like the trip! My kids will be similar in age when we go next August and we would like to do similar things, so I'll be looking for a trip report, especially for the Arenal portion!

My husband and I went last May and enjoyed Tabacon Hot Springs a lot. It's beautiful. We didn't have dinner there, so I can't comment on that. I think your kids will enjoy it, the even have a water slide. Cano Negro should be fun for them as well.

Your trip sounds great! A great mix of adventure and relaxation.