El Chalten or Bariloche in August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to work out the details of a 2-week trip in August to Argentina and cutting places from the itinerary is proving to be quite a challenge!

So far, I'm intent on visiting Salta, Jujuy and environs, and BA. I'm trying to cut Iguazu Falls, but they keep creeping back in to the plan.

I'd love to visit Bariloche or more specifically the town of San Martin de los Andes. I adore small mountain resort towns and this sounds ideal. My husband and I are not huge downhill skiers, although we do enjoy cross-country skiing and snowshoeing and it would definitely be unique to be able to do so in mid-August. (PS: For those who were going to say it, Llao Llao is not an option for us.)

I'd also love, love, love to see a penguin colony and apparently August is when they arrive El Chalten (or is it Calafate?) in preparation for their mating season. I think there are also whales that pass by in August, which would be fun--so long as we could find responsible boat tour operators.

So, there's my dilemma. What's your opinion, based on time of year, relative costs and activities? I should note that, being from Montreal, I'm not really deterred by the cold weather--even in El Chalten I don't think winter gets as cold as ours.

Thanks for the insight.

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 06:14 PM

we will be following this thread intently as we will be travelling in august as well. Mostly BA and Mendoza. First time to Argentina and we are having a hard time figuring out the weather. Being from So Cal, being in a real winter may be alarming!! Hope you hear from a bunch of experts!
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 09:51 AM

Are you perhaps confusing place names? The penguin colony (best known one) is near Trelew/Pto Madryn. It is on the atlantic coast with good plane connections to El Calafate.

I was in Calafate and would have loved to to Chalten to see the Fitz Roy but the distances were very long after two days with full day tours. Would definitely be a great place to go back to hike that area.

in the interests of time it might be easier to see just patagonia (the penguins, bariloche and the glaciers) or just the north etc.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 05:11 PM

No penguins in El Chalten! It is in the mountains!
El Chalten can be under ten feet of snow in August; you might still be able to go to El Calafate and see the glaciers, but that's about it for that area.
One of the penguin places is Punta Tombo, near Peninsula Valdes/Puerto Madryn. All that area is great for seeing whales, and other marine fauna, but I'm not sure if August is too early, I believe the season starts in Octuber.
Northern Argentina maybe a better option weather-wise, but keep in mind that Salta and Jujuy are in the mountains, so you'll get below freezing temperature at night in the higher areas.
Old May 5th, 2006, 08:02 AM

topping for ghahn
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:55 PM

I currently live in Baires and also planning similar trip to Patagonia. As answered in previous post, whales and penguins are in Pto Madryn/ Peninsula Valdez, a friend of mine was recently at Carrones- Cabo Dos Bahias. Also, Whales start to arrive at the end of May/ June and should be around in August. Here is an article with more details: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/Archivo/n...nota_id=821638

Happy travels,

Fiona