Search

Ecuador -- planning a visit to Quito & Banos

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecuador -- planning a visit to Quito & Banos

Hi,
I know, I'm considering a trip to Quito and will NOT be going to Galapagos, however I only have a week's time.

Anyhow, I'm hoping there's a few Ecuadorian afficianados out there who'll share their insights/comments on these two locations in the country. I've been to Costa Rica and love Arenal ... so Banos appeals to me as a volcano destination. Plan to stay at Luna Runtan -- http://www.lunaruntun.com
With regards to getting from Quito to Banos, it seems I have a very expensive option (Luna Runtan arrange for a $250 private transfer - roundtrip cost) OR I can go via the 'chicken bus', at a substantially lower cost. Anyone know of other choice, perhaps a small van or shuttle?

As for Quito, am considering staying at the Hilton (Hilton Colon Quito Avenida Amazonas 110 Y Patria for $75) .... or would consider other possibilities. Concern about the location of this Hilton being across street from park ? Anyone stayed at Cafe Cultura?

In advance, thanks for sharing your input or suggestions.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:12 AM

Hey, is this Robin?

I was in Ecuador in late Jan and visited Quito and Banos so my info is quite current.

The bus to Banos is not a chicken bus, it's a fairly nice bus with clean, cloth seats . . . it does, however, stop every block to pick up/let off passengers. The trip takes 3.5-4 hrs and costs $3.40. A taxi to the bus station from the Mariscal Sucre area cost $3. I was alone and felt quite safe.

Banos is very small, only about 15,000 people . . . you can walk from one end of town to the other in about 10 minutes and that's including stopping to watch the vendors pull melchocha (sugarcane candy).

I typed up my travelog and would be happy to email it if you want . . . let me know at [email protected]. I did go to the Galapagos, too, but you can just skip over that part.

Hope you have a wonderful time,
Sandy (in Denton)
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sandy,

Actually, I think I do have the travelogue from your escapades in Ecuador. I'll dig thru my files.

Thanks for the more accurate description of bus transportation option; however, I'm not sure that I have the patience for that many stops on a trip of that duration. Ideally, I'd prefer an Ecuadorian version of Southwest Airlines .... since Banos doesn't have a airstrip, then overland route is only way to go.

Also, a question on weather & altitude. It's my understanding that Quito is around 9500 ft. And this would be my first time at that height. Guess there's no way to know if I'll have any issues w/ acclimation until I get there. Or is there anything one can do or meds to take? As for weather, I'm looking forward to daytime temps in 70's & cooler at night. My trip will be during August and it'll be a delight to leave the oppresive Texas heat behind for a week!
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 03:33 PM

There's no way to tell how you will do with the altitude. I felt a little tired in Quito and had the merest of a headache . . . and found that I huffed and puffed a little more walking up hills.

I am going to Bolivia (La Paz, Potosi, Uyuni, Lake Titicaca) in July . . . LP is 13,166. My doctor gave me Diamox in case I need it. I can take up to 2 pills a day but he told me to start with a 1/2 and see how I do. He said the main thing was to drink lots of water, avoid alcohol, and go slow for a day or two.

Hopefully, you won't have anything more than I did in Quito.

My boss just returned from Quito on Thurs, she stayed at the Hotel Sebastian and loved it. They have a website.

BTW, be careful in Quito and watch out for the kids . . . my boss got swarmed by a group who stole her camera. I guess all those gypsy kids in Rome we keep reading about here on Fodor's have made enough money to be able to travel and they have gone to Quito)!

When she filed a report with the Tourist Police, they said they can't prosecute children; therefore, they have become a big problem for tourists.

I'd love to hear how your trip goes.

Sandy (in Denton)
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 07:16 AM

Thought I would reply to the altitude question.
I was in Quito and also went to Banos last November. I had been up on high mountains before but only for day trips and had no problem. I took Diamox to Ecuador with me but did not take it before hand as my doctor told me.
About 1/2 hour after I landed in Quito I got the worst headache of my life.
Never expected it. I had left the Diamox in my checked luggage and of course that did not make it to Quito on the same flight so there was nothing I could do until the next day. It was awful.
The diamox took care of the headache but I was still breathing hard just walking around.
Don't mean to scare you but I sure did not expect it to happen.
I was on a 7 day tour of the highlands and so I did not feel better until I got to Banos which I believe is only a mile high. But I loved the country and I hope you have a great time.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

MarthaT,

Thanks for your comments on the altitude issue. I've only been to a mile high city (Guadalajara) and so, don't know how I'll react to height in Quito. I'll look into getting Diamox, and will make sure to put in my carry-on.