Search

Ecuador Advice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecuador Advice

Hello!
My fiance and I will be in Ecuador for 19 days (plus 2 days travel) in February. We are interested in: jungle lodge (have heard Amazoonico/Liana Lodge are good); kayaking & caving, Banos, Otavalo & Devil's Nose train ride. We would forego a few things if we can find a Galapagos trip within our budget...

Is this too much? Any hotel suggestions? What is transportation like in the country?
Any advice/suggestions at all will be greatly appreciated!!!

Many thanks,
Meagan
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 04:20 PM

Take lots of money-the 'dollarisation' of Ecuador's economy means prices have risen precipitously.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Are things really much more expensive? What is average for a hostal? A meal?
The lonely planet guide hasn't been updated since the dollarisation, so I've no idea what to expect!
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 12:13 PM
peg

I did not think things were expesive in Ecuador at all. We had a steak dinner for $7.00 in Quito and I thought it was pretty good for example, seeing how I pay way more here in the States, now the $14.00 for the bottle of Chilen wine we had with dinner, I thought a bit expensive. I bought a leather coat for $70.00 in Cotochaci (SP), I didn't think that was bad either. I guess it depends on how you define expensive.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 06:16 PM

Back in '95 that jacket was $30-40 and meals were much cheaper as was the Chilean Chardonnay.

The LP guide as mentioned hasn't been updated-double all prices listed to be safe.
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 11:43 AM
peg

Well, I wasn't comparing my prices to the LP guide since I didn't bother to buy one. I was comenting on the fact that me personally didn't think things were expensive. Had I been there in '95 then I might have thought things to be more expensive.

And the wine wasn't Chardonnay, I am not a big fan of Chardonnay.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 06:04 PM

Peg-Please pay attention to the thread-the LP reference was in answer to the question from Meags who is the OP.

Also no one cares about your wine preferences either way.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 01:37 PM

Hi! I spent a month in Ecuador in 2002-you are set to have a fantastic time.... Jungle lodges are great-we set off to ours from Tena (good rafting companies from here too)...and kayaking too-no doubt caving also. Banos is a bit of an anticlimax really-it is very touristy indeed, and the 'natural hot springs'are crowded swimming baths really (I got a nasty bacterial infection!) If you dont want too much Western influence my advice is stay away from Banos, or limit your visit to a fleeting one... Otavalo is vibrant and interesting, and the scenery around is fantastic...La Luna is a great lodge, a few miles out of town, and if you want a great guide for some trekking in the area then ask for Ivan (head up the main street from Poncho Plaze to an orange hostal on the left). Didnt personally do the Devil's Nose-on the recommendation of many who said it was very ovverrated really... Transportation is interesting to say the least-people reccomend you book the day before you travel but the reality is you turn up wielding your ticket and about six other people are already sitting in your seat (thats with buses-we were students so thats all we could afford!) Certainly an experience, and generally very cheap-barter with the drivers... Open top trucks can be arranged in small towns etc-very exciting! Lonely Planet guide is good-though if you make Quito a base for a few days to start with and chat with folk in bars then youll get some ideas... Plenty of internet cafes etc, good eateries-and in some smaller jaunts the 'meriendas' make great meals-quality Ecuadorian food for a few dollars (we were students remember!) Head for some markets-they are vibrant and exciting, with an array of sights, sounds and smells. Pick up some Spanish- 'no tengo nada' to the hundreds of kids that bombard you with 'regalo regalo' or 'caramelo caramelo' is useful... I think the Otavalo market is Friday-an interesting animal market there too.... theres everything to suit every budget...